Healthy Chocolate Chip cookies that are DELISH!

Options
I just had to post this. My boyfriend keeps asking for something sweet after dinner, and I don't keep anything sweet in the house (sweets are my kryptonite. Once, my boyfriend's mom baked a blueberry pie for him, and my fridge was bigger, so he asked if he could keep it at my house. In the middle of the night I heard the pie calling my name, and ate the WHOLE THING! So now, we don't keep sweets around our home too often). Anyway, I found this 80 calorie chocolate-chip cookie recipe on Cooking Light.com, and thought I'd make them for him as a compromise-- thinking if I eat a couple, it won't be a big deal. These are excellent! They do NOT taste "light" in any way. And only 80 calories per cookie! Chocolate-y and a great treat if you have room in your day for them!

These are obviously sugary, and I'm not saying these are something for everyday, but when you just want a treat, with HALF the butter, LESS chips (about a CUP LESS than a normal recipe) , and less cholesterol than normal cookies, these are a nice choice if you need something sweet.

Here is the link and the recipe copied below: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cookies-10000001622526/

Ingredients

Print
Email
Send To Mobile
Save Recipe
Add to Menu
Add to Shopping List
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 10 ounces) $
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt $
1 cup packed brown sugar $
3/4 cup granulated sugar $
1/2 cup butter, softened $
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites $
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips $
Cooking spray $
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
Combine sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add vanilla and egg whites; beat 1 minute. Add flour mixture and chips; beat until blended.
Drop dough by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Not sure what's so different about the recipe than a standard cookie recipe except the egg whites instead of whole eggs?

Maybe I'm missing something, but taking the yolks out of eggs are a lot less effective than eating all the sugar and flour in the recipe?
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    There is half as much butter, less chocolate chips, and the egg whites. Yes, there is a lot of sugar, but I think the other stuff is a major improvement.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy. No different than any other cookie recipe though. Kinda disappointed by the misleading "Healthy" title lol. Maybe instead, using whole wheat flour or oats and not adding as much sugar? Also dark chocolate chips would cut it down a little. Thanks for posting :)
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    People! HALF AS MUCH BUTTER, LESS CHIPS, and LESS CHOLESTEROL! As I said, not for every day, but much lightened up.