Lean Cuisines: What do you think of them?

Options

Replies

• jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    IMO they have far too much sodium and preservatives. I highly recommend Kashi frozen meals as well as the steamers. I always remove them from the plastic before I cook them as I am slightly paranoid about the chemicals from plastic leeching into the food...thats just one of my hang ups though. Kashi all the way.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry after eating them.

word.

It's a snack. Not a meal.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    buy the trader joes version far less salt and more natural
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If it works for you then go for it. It is better than fast food, but of course homemade food is the best. All frozen meals are full of sodium, which if is your problem or not, is not good for everyone. Try not to overdo it and get those fresh fruits and veggies as much as you can.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some of the Lean Cuisines are pretty tasty (especially the ones that come in the bags) and can be filling. I don't eat them often, but if it makes your eating plan easier and you enjoy them, that's your business.
  • HaySpencer
    Options
    i think they are okay if you are a time crunch
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for Amy's. If you can afford it and right now it works for you so you stick to your eating plan, then go for it. If/when it stops working, shake it up, pursue other options.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice (Baked) meals are in the same calorie range as Lean Cuisines with a little less sodium. Look into those.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Honestly I like them. I like the idea of them, I like how they're so low in calories, I like that they ARE healthy.

However I wouldn't really like to create a dependence on them. I'd like to know that if I"m eating one, its because I really have no other choice or I'm in a rush or whatever. Being a college student I totally understand where you're coming from though.

And for those of you complaining of the sodium content, realize that most lean cuisine/healthy choice meals have around 600mg of sodium. That's WAY less than if you were to try & go to any fast food place, where a grilled chicken sandwich (the only healthy choice I can think of at most fast food places) would contain double that or more. The sodium content really isn't that bad.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    High sodium content. Causes water retention and, often, weight gain
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    a lean cuisine by itself isn't always enough for me but If I add a small salad to it, I'm good. Or I eat a side of veggies or fuit with it.
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I get the steam fresh veggies ( when I need a fast veggie, and I don't have time to prepare fresh ) and keep fresh fruit on hand-- drink lots of water to flush out the sodium :) Your doing great keep at it :)
  • 9xuzts
    9xuzts Posts: 40
    Options
    One thing to consider is freezing your own meals. If you cook for yourself of Saturday and Sunday and freeze a few servings you can eat that during the week...After a while if you make enough you'll have some selection in your freezer and won't feel like you eat the same thing every day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Honestly I like that they ARE healthy.

LOL
  • Spazsquatch
    Options
    Years ago I shed 70+ pounds on a diet that made daily use of them, mainly for lunch but probably a couple dinners a week. By the time I got down near my target weight (175lb on a 6' frame), friends were telling my wife they were going to stage an intervention. I guess I looked pretty sick, probably from a lack of nutrients.

Worse part is when I stopped eating them I gained a good chunk of the weight back, since I really hadn't learned how to eat without them. For the record I'm back down to 175ish and people think I look great.

Moral: Use in moderation.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones is what I ate to lose my weight!
    It is way better than Jenny Craig! More choices and better food
    Go for it!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue to me is the sodium content. I am on sodium restrictions. The second biggest reason is there are just not enough veggies in there for my preferences.

^this^ I just can't do the sodium anymore, 'cause I want to get off my HBP meds. Trying to cut back on all processed foods. Eating a lot more raw foods to get my sodium down and my fiber up.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Why not add some frozen veggies along with your lean cuisines? I do that a lot. I'm a personal fan of Amy's frozen meals.

I love Amy's too. Lots of great vegetarian options! Price tends to be a bit steep, unless you can catch them on sale and/or with a coupon.

Maybe try Healthy Choice? Lower sodium and fat than some others...
  • migdalp
    migdalp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat a Healthy Choice meal almost everyday for my lunch at work. It comes with a main couse, a side of vegetables, and a desset. They range from 250-330 calories, and they're pretty good. They're also only like $2.48 a piece.

Me too, they are price reasonable!!!!
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Why not add some frozen veggies along with your lean cuisines? I do that a lot. I'm a personal fan of Amy's frozen meals.

Ooh! I didn't even think about that. I've seen Amy's frozen meals, and have been tempted to buy them. :) Like I said, I'm not particularly loyal to lean cuisine brand, they're just the first kind I tried.
    I eat a Healthy Choice meal almost everyday for my lunch at work. It comes with a main couse, a side of vegetables, and a desset. They range from 250-330 calories, and they're pretty good. They're also only like $2.48 a piece.

I've had a couple of them, myself. They're tasty. :) I need to expand and try a lot of the other brands more. I've heard nothing but good stuff, so far, especially about Healthy Choice and Amy's. :) One thing that confuses me, though.....a lot of people keep mentioning how much more expensive lean cuisines are then most meals....in my hometown, they're about $2.80, not including tax. On campus they're a whopping $4.99, so I have to watch where I get them. But I just now started browsing healthy foods, so that first option may still be high priced, comparatively.

When I first started counting calories, they seemed bland and left me wanting more. Now that I'm eating less, however, everything's taste has been enhanced. While some are a bit dull, I've learned which meals are better and which ones aren't. Since I portion everything out throughout the day, eating a lean cuisine and drinking a cappuccino (100 calorie, 10g sugar. I allow myself one a day.) leaves me pretty full.

Everyone's main concern seems to be the sodium content. I'm always way below my daily limit....is MFP's automatic setting set high, or something?

To everyone that posted, thank you so much! Sorry that I'm just now responding.