When do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• luckycharm1965
    Options
    I do my weigh-in every a.m., before eating or drinking. For some this may seem obsessive though for myself it gives me insight to check what i have eaten the day before to see if it affected my weight drastically...so far so good :smile:
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    I weight in the AM right when I wake up, after I use the restroom. You gain weight thru the day from food and water. My evening weight is not the same as my AM weight.
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning, after bathroom, but before coffee or breakfast. This is the most accurate weight
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    Sunday and Thursday mornings, after I have used the bathroom...completely nekkid. I only record the Thursday weigh in amount.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you are just trying to track an overall trend in weight, all that matters is that you weigh yourself at the same time each time. For most of us, it's easiest to do first thing in the AM. Plus you do gain weight throughout the day in water weight, food intake, etc.
  • SunnyLuc87
    Options
    In the morning. I have observed this is when I weigh the least and quite frankly it just makes me happier to do it this way. I don't see why any time of day would give you your "true weight". Your weight fluctuates throughout the day, so why is your night weight more accurate than your morning weight? I like the morning weight because I assume that's all me and not my dinner.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Naked, first thing in the morning, once a week. Occasionally I'll weigh more than once per week, but try not to!
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    At night is fine so long as a person maintains a regular eating schedule, exercise schedule, and caloric intake. Otherwise, it's the worst time because the standard deviation will be relatively large day-over-day..

I prefer the morning because the standard deviation is relatively small.
    this.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every friday after my workout wearing the same clothes and no shoes.
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I weight myself in the mornings before breakfast
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, about 10 minutes after I wake up and walk around a bit, but before breakfast. It's a static number that is not influenced by what I ate at lunch, or how much I sweated during my exercise. So it's a good number to record. I also weigh myself in the evenings on occasion, but only to see how much difference there is after a long exercise session or something. Not to record.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning after I use the bathroom
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily in the am and use the physics diet log to determine my moving average weight which helps filter out the noise that the daily weighs create. The logs lets me know that I am still in a weight loss trend. The daily ups and downs are just noise based on how much I ate or drank the day before and how much or how little of it left my body.

http://physicsdiet.com/WhenShouldIWeighMyself.aspx

I'm too impatient to weigh in every two weeks, but that would also help filter out the noise, but if you start loosing very slowly you might still see some noise from water retention.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My morning to night weight only varies by about 1-2 pounds. If the variance jumps higher than that I know I need to back off the sodium.

So I guess my answer is: I weigh myself all the dang time because I'm slightly obsessive.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sunday mornings after you use the restroom and before you eat or drink anything. Naked. :wink:
  • sandyjeffery
    Options
    I belong to a diet group (biggest losers) at work and we weigh in every Tuesday. Sometimes, I weigh in more often to make sure I am staying on track.
  • courtleemens
    Options
    Its best to weigh yourself in the mornings to get a true weight , but its better to be consistant with a time of day and week. Everyday is too much as your body will hold water different depending on your intake that day. I do bi weekly weigh ins and record them on my log on here. I also have a health scale that shows my water weight, bmi , bone mass weight and my goal with pounds lost/gained. I find it to be more helpful because if i had gained a pound it will show up in the water weight if thats the case . I do wed mornings and saturday mornings hope it helps
  • xcountry200
    xcountry200 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily in the am and use the physics diet log to determine my moving average weight which helps filter out the noise that the daily weighs create. The logs lets me know that I am still in a weight loss trend. The daily ups and downs are just noise based on how much I ate or drank the day before and how much or how little of it left my body.

http://physicsdiet.com/WhenShouldIWeighMyself.aspx

I'm too impatient to weigh in every two weeks, but that would also help filter out the noise, but if you start loosing very slowly you might still see some noise from water retention.

I weigh every morning naked after I go to the bathroom. I use a withings scale and trendweight.com to track my moving average weight. If you have a wifi scale (fitbit scale works also) I highly recommend that site. I follow the hacker's diet approach.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Best-Time-Day-Exercise-Eat-Weigh-Yourself-18292661

http://nutrition.about.com/od/diets/qt/weighing-on-a-scale.htm

I weigh myself in the mornings before breakfast and water and in the same clothing (underwear and a bra) everyday because I figure that will give me a very accurate picture of what I'm doing. Even if the weight isn't right, the weight loss will be.
  • kallisto208
    Options
    I weigh myself at the health center at work (they have a good, accurate scale I trust) every Monday morning before breakfast and I always take the same clothing to change into so I take out that variable (obviously can't do it naked at work lol). I like doing it weekly because of the daily fluctuations from water weight, whatever I ate that day and hormonal changes, so I find that by the end of the week everything seems to even out.

I don't even keep a scale at home so I can't obsess over it, otherwise I'd be on the damn thing all the time and would have created a complex months ago and driven myself into the looney house with fret and worry when I should just be focused on working out and eating proper and tape measurements rather than the scale.