Does the 30 Day Shred work??

Options
Hey guys

So, the 30 Day Shred is obviously really, really popular, but I've heard mixed opinions about it...

Some say it's really effective, and that they've lost so much weight (not to mention inches!) on it, others say it didn't really work for them at all...

Thoughts?

I'm also wondering about the emphasis on weights/resistance training, will that make my arms get really, really bulky?! :O

Replies

• ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Another question: Do I have to do the 30 D S every day, or can I just do it, say, 5 days a week?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if it helps you lose weight? That typically depends on your diet, but 30DS definitely helped me change how my body looks. I lost 6.5lbs and a lot of inches. I did it 6 days per week and sometimes I did other stuff after the day's workout, like taking my dog for a walk or yoga, etc. I also stuck to my calorie goals besides the random "bad day" here and there.

My arms and shoulders got really defined (and my arms got smaller, i.e. lost fat) which lets the nice muscles show through! It was kind of my introduction to working out and I'm so glad I did it.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any program "works" as long as you stick to the schedule and eat properly.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if it helps you lose weight? That typically depends on your diet, but 30DS definitely helped me change how my body looks. I lost 6.5lbs and a lot of inches. I did it 6 days per week and sometimes I did other stuff after the day's workout, like taking my dog for a walk or yoga, etc. I also stuck to my calorie goals besides the random "bad day" here and there.

My arms and shoulders got really defined (and my arms got smaller, i.e. lost fat) which lets the nice muscles show through! It was kind of my introduction to working out and I'm so glad I did it.

^^^ What she said!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I loved 30DS the first time I did it, I didnt lose but maybe 4 lbs but lots of inches, mostly off my belly. I remember going into the last 5 days and being able to see some kind of definition through all the fat and flab, its really different for all people I guess, I did it 6 days a week and took my rest days on Sundays, I stayed on a 1500 calorie a day diet and tried to keep my protein up. I really like JM banish fat boost metabolism better though because the strength parts are all about using your own body weight instead of weights. Does that even make sense lol its early! I think if you're trying to tone and lose inches 30DS is great, I dont think anybody is gonna get the 20lbs in 30 days like the DVD cover promises though.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did it as well (5 days/week - 2 days shred, 1 day cardio, 3 days shred, 1 day rest) and lost inches as well! My shoulders definitely got more defined.

As a female, you can never get super bulky due to the lack of testosterone in your system no matter how heavy you lift. My next program is very heavy lifting - if you check out the forums you will see plenty of women who lift super heavy and look AMAZING!
  • samwise29
    samwise29 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Firstly, in reply to your comment:
    "I'm also wondering about the emphasis on weights/resistance training, will that make my arms get really, really bulky?! :O "
    It is a myth that you bulk up by using weights, it is completely untrue. Weights are essential for aiding weight loss, it builds up lean muscle, which helps you tone and also helps your metabolism.

I did 30 day shred, I did it everyday for the 30 days, I lose a substantial amount of weight and inches. It obviously does depend on your diet, as stated above but if you stick with your calories and do this DVD, I think you'll notice a difference, whether it be weight loss, or seeing your shape change.

Best of luck with this, it's a brilliant work out, and with it being only about 20-30mins long inc, warm up & cool down, I found it easy to squeeze into my day.
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's a great work out, especially if you don't have a lot of time or only work out at home. You will not get "bulky" unless you take testosterone, eat tons of protein and lift heavy...so I think your safe. You might want to punch Jillian michaels by the end though.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I loved it! It only takes a short time, once I had the routine down I could do it anywhere without the dvd or equipment, and I lost pounds and inches! I always started with 30 min of some kind of warm up cardio - treadmill or stationary bike.

That being said, I toned up but did not bulk - VERY happy with results - I found my abdominal muscles even under my layers of stomach ick!

And I did do it 7 days a week for 6 weeks. I scored it as curves work on my exercise because I did not have my hrm yet!

Good luck, and enjoy it. I never got passed level one, but that never bothered me because it was still one hell of a workout. When you have mastered all of it, try her ripped in 30 - taking it to the next level of insane with the same concept!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I did level one on youtube last night b/c it was too crappy out to jog. It hurts to squat down this morning, so must be doing something:) I plan on keeping it going.
  • janiem1987
    janiem1987 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 level 1 and I have already lost 2 lbs! I dont have a TON to lose, but its coming off! I feel great while doing this program too, I have worked out for a few years and I know I always feel the best about myself when I have a program to follow. This helps take the guess work out of my workouts. I plan on taking sundays as rest days and I plan on adding cardio 1-3 days a week also. I'm hoping to lose a few more pounds but to mostly cut inches.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30 Day Shred, as well as Jillian's Body Revolution. Both helped me increase strength, endurance and lose inches. I highly recommend both! :drinker:

That being said, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to focus on your diet! I was very lazy about what I was eating throughout these programs because I felt like working out should be enough. It wasn't.

Diet is so important. I completed all 90 days of the body revolution and stayed the exact same weight. It is so frustrating to work your *kitten* off in your workout and not drop any pounds.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You might want to punch Jillian michaels by the end though.

^^EVERY Morning LOL. ut I go back to it EVERY morning so there is something to be said for that.
    On another note, my hubby did it with me yesterday thinking it would be a good, easy on his (bad) back workout. Afterwords he told me he does not envy me doing that everyday because it IS a workout. (I'm currently doing Level2)
    How you lose is based on your body. You won't "bulk" but you will tone if you are doing it with effort and trying to push yourself. At the beginning of each level I've done so far I have definately felt that good burn for a couple of days but it goes away and your determination gets you through the days.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Firstly, in reply to your comment:
    "I'm also wondering about the emphasis on weights/resistance training, will that make my arms get really, really bulky?! :O "
    It is a myth that you bulk up by using weights, it is completely untrue.
    Exactly. I work out with weights many, many, many times heavier than what they use in 30DS and all it's done in 2 years is make me get smaller and tighter.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options

^^ This made me laugh right out loud at work!! ^^

But so far I've just gone through day 2 of level 1, and while I agree....I LOVE the workout and look forward to day 3 tonight!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of starting 30 DS too. So far, I've heard a lot of good about it.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

^^ This made me laugh right out loud at work!! ^^

But so far I've just gone through day 2 of level 1, and while I agree....I LOVE the workout and look forward to day 3 tonight!

I already want to punch JM in the face. That's with any video. LOL
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am on Level 2 now. I just do M-W-F. Jillian says the best way to do it is 2 days Shred-1 day Cardio-2 days Shred-1 day Cardio-1 day rest. I also attend 4-5 Jazzercise classes and one Bootcamp class each week. Even doing 30 DS like I do, it is amazing how fast you see your strength/endurance increasing.
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated! :)

It seems the key thing a lot of you are emphasising is diet, so roughly how should I be eating while doing the 30 D S?? (in terms of number of calories and proportions of nutrients/food groups... lower refined carbs? Higher fruit/veg/protein??)

Cheers :D
  • Meribeth928
    Options
    I started 30 day shred on September 7...I am on level 2 now so I did phase 1 for a while. However during that time I have lost 15 pounds and 18.75 inches. I feel stronger and have come farther than I thought possible with it.