Raw Food Challenge!

Options
sitarami
sitarami Posts: 68 Member
OK Guys....I've been on the raw food diet and it is amazing and your body loves it! But you need support to stick to it.:sad: I'm going on a raw food diet for a week... (starting on Monday 26 of May) to cleanse, and clean the body and give it a needed rest from the likes of mcdonalds and kfc. ..
If you're interested, you're invited to jump on board. Do some research, buy your fruits and veggies and get a couple of great raw recipes and we're off and running!

Replies

• sitarami
    Options
    OK Guys....I've been on the raw food diet and it is amazing and your body loves it! But you need support to stick to it.:sad: I'm going on a raw food diet for a week... (starting on Monday 26 of May) to cleanse, and clean the body and give it a needed rest from the likes of mcdonalds and kfc. ..
    If you're interested, you're invited to jump on board. Do some research, buy your fruits and veggies and get a couple of great raw recipes and we're off and running!
  • sitarami
    Options
    I hope someone out there is ready to take the one week challenge.

Find out why it is healthier to turn to natural food before it is too late...
    http://www.lifepositive.com/body/holistic-recipes/recipes/rawfood.asp
    :happy: A huge golden-brown roasted steak, dripping with butter. Surrounded by finger chips and garnished by a sprig of basil and creamy mayonnaise. The aroma of exotic herbs. Your taste buds tingle. You almost feel the steak melting in your mouth. Yummy, isn't it? But wait! What about the cholesterol you are inviting into your system?

If you are health-conscious and have sufficient will-power, you may push away this delicious picture and go for something more banal, like a boiled salad. But is that really as healthy as it seems?The new mantra doing the rounds is that any-repeat, any-cooked food is avoidable. "In cooked food," says Jehangir Palkhivala, an Indian yoga therapist, "life forces are taken away from the food. Raw food can be consumed easily without exerting pressure on our organs."

And this is only for starters.

Nutrition science is fast gaining the reputation of being a healing and preventive device. Dr Nand Kishore Sharma, a naturopath in New Delhi, India, feels that most diseases are caused by bad food habits. "Unnatural food, which includes any form of food not found in nature, generates toxins that gradually poison the body," he says. From his 'Fireless Kitchen', Dr Sharma gives patients regenerative or natural food for degenerative diseases. This, he claims, has cured many. "I have even seen people grow new teeth and hair at 60 and 70 years of age," he says.

\What is the Raw Food Diet?

The raw food diet is a diet based on unprocessed and uncooked plant foods, such as fresh fruit and vegetables, sprouts, seeds, nuts, grains, beans, nuts, dried fruit, and seaweed.

Heating food above 116 degrees F is believed to destroy enzymes in food that can assist in the digestion and absorption of food. Cooking is also thought to diminish the nutritional value and "life force" of food.

Typically, at least 75% of the diet must be living or raw.

:tongue: What are the Benefits of the Raw Food Diet?

Proponents of the raw food diet believe it has numerous health benefits, including:
    Increased energy
    Improved skin appearance
    Better digestion
    Weight loss
    Reduced risk of heart disease
    The raw food diet contains fewer trans fats and saturated fat than the typical Western diet. It is also low in sodium and high in potassium, magnesium, folate, fiber and health-promoting plant chemicals called phytochemicals.

These properties are associated with a reduced risk of diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. For example, a study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that consumption of a raw food diet lowered plasma total cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations.
  • fatvanessa
    fatvanessa Posts: 15
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway:
    That is crazy...

I don't think, I AM THAT DISCIPLINED!

How can I do that?!?!?
  • sitarami
    Options
    yes it does sound crazy and it takes discipline, but you have a chance to feel the best you've every felt in your life! Jus one week. ok 5 days.
    I'll even give you a flower -- here. :flowerforyou:
  • sitarami
    Options
    Ok, bribes are not working. Convincing someone-anyone to go raw is a chore. Nevertheless, it is Monday, my first day of going raw.

What did I eat?
    4 mangoes
    4 tbs coconut oil
    4 ozs cashew nuts
    2 ozs cole slaw
    1 oz raisins
    1 cup cooked eggplant.
    :happy: 1600 calories

The raw diet allows calls for 75% raw, so some cooked is allowed.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I read a million books about raw foods about a year ago. I got so excited, and tried it for awhile. Even 50% raw was hard! It would be easier if there was a raw food restaurant around like in NY or LA or something.

It's also hard if your husband isn't doing it. I would like to do it more though! For awhile I ate "raw until noon". That was kind of fun. I ate fruit for the first 3 hours of the day, then a ton of raw veggies. Then I ate normal lunch and dinner, but smaller portions with tons of raw veggies on the side. YUM.

I don't know if it will be this week, but I should keep trying that.

Keep posting your food! I'm interested to see what you are eating. :flowerforyou:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes, I too would like to see what your menu is like. Might consider trying this at some point this summer. :flowerforyou:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a fan of "everything in moderation" compared to a certain diet. Good luck with the diet though!
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like my meat raw sometimes, but you can count me out on this. I'd be lost without my jello 60 cal, my birds eye steam fresh veggies, my chicken. Nothing like a nice marinated london broil with soy, worchester, a pinch of ginger, cracked pepper, some salt, and a pinch of mustard seed cooked over the grill to a rare medium rare, of course ill turn the grill on a higher flame on one side to fufill those who don't want it med/rare like when asked how I want my meat I say " Slap the cow in the *kitten* on his way through the kitchen and I'll cut the bell off his head" and if im lucky theyll bring out medium rare!:drinker:
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    sounds outstanding but also sounds like restaurants are not an option....discipline at its finest
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    if "raw" means "cooked" than i'm in!

tee hee hee!!

I'd do veggies and fruits if I could cook my carrots and spinach yum yum and add peppers.
  • sitarami
    Options
    I like my meat raw sometimes, but you can count me out on this. I'd be lost without my jello 60 cal, my birds eye steam fresh veggies, my chicken. Nothing like a nice marinated london broil with soy, worchester, a pinch of ginger, cracked pepper, some salt, and a pinch of mustard seed cooked over the grill to a rare medium rare, of course ill turn the grill on a higher flame on one side to fufill those who don't want it med/rare like when asked how I want my meat I say " Slap the cow in the *kitten* on his way through the kitchen and I'll cut the bell off his head" and if im lucky theyll bring out medium rare!:drinker:

barracuda!
    you have me rollin with laughter!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I don't blame you, although (hysterical) your juicy descriptions are absolutely NOT Fair considering my neeeed for discipline at this very fragile moment in my food and diet time of life. :grumble: grrrr a london broil would suit me jus fine.:embarassed:
  • sitarami
    Options
    abbechelle, pls keep up the mornings with fruit and veggies.
    i'm with you maverickyanda and kristinkoffa.
    But I must say I'm feeling rather fantastic! and its been only 2 days. My arthritis in the knees has disappeared. Having to report to MFP and getting feedback gives me loads of encouragement which helps with my shaky discipline. Thanks guys.

Here we go, diet for day 2 raw:
    1 mango
    1 mango salad (mango, red peppers, string beans, lemon, cilantro, salt and pepper)
    1 salad (cup lettuce, red peppers, string beans, olive oil, vidalia dressing, 1/2 c cooked squash, cilantro)
    1 tamarind fruit
    1 oz raisins
    4 oz cashews
    2 tbs coconut oil
    :wink: 1200 calories:tongue:
  • sitarami
    Options
    Raw Day #3
    Tamarinds - Raw, 6 fruit (3" x 1")
    Lettuce - 0.5 c
    Vegetable - Bok Choy, 0.6 cups raw (56g)
    Kroger - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tbsp.
    Spectrum - Balsamic Vinegar, 3 Tbsp
    Green Giant - String Beans - French Cut, 0.15 cup
    Mangos - Raw, 1 fruit without refuse
    Life Extension - Chitosan, 2 capsules
    Breadfruit - Raw, 0.7 cup
    Chaokoh - Coconut Milk, 1/6 cup
    Breadfruit - 0.5 cup
    Chaokoh - Coconut Milk, 1/10 cup
    Oil - Vegetable, coconut, 1 tbsp
    Mangos - Raw, 2 fruit with skin
    Life Extension - Chitosan, 2 capsules

Total Calories - 1200
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that your "Raw Food Diet" mostly consists of fruits and veggies.
    When I see or hear the words, "Raw Food", I think of raw meats.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • sitarami
    Options
    Raw meats can definitely be a part of the raw food diet. I havent ventured into the raw meat (beef/chicken) diet just yet. But I love sushi! :smokin:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Raw meats can definitely be a part of the raw food diet. I havent ventured into the raw meat (beef/chicken) diet just yet. But I love sushi! :smokin:
    Eating raw meat scares meeee!!
    Please be careful when or if you do get into that :ohwell:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • sitarami
    Options
    Healthier Me, i will not try raw meats any time soon. I too am a bit squeemish about that. But i love my sushi!

Raw Food Challenge Day #4

Nuts - Cashew nuts, raw, 4 oz
    Raisins - Seedless, 0.3 miniature box
    Tamarinds - Raw, 4 fruit
    Mangos - Raw, 1 fruit without refuse
    Fresh Produce - Bell Peppers (Green), 0.2 c
    Breadfruit - Raw, 0.4 cup
    Lettuce - Iceberg raw, 1.5 cup
    Kroger - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tbsp.
    Wendy - Chili - Small, 0.3 cup (needed the meat!)
    Margarita, 0.4 cup (woops! outing with the boys):embarassed:

calories 1200
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Keep going! You are awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I took a class about raw food last night! It was very informative. The instructor used a lot of sprouted grains in her diet. She sprouts them at home and it is relatively inexpensive. I have a few recipes if you'd like to try them.