True Hunger vs. Stress Eating

Can someone help me figure out how to tell the difference between true hunger and stress eating?

I've been doing pretty well at counting calories for about a week now. Today I ate around 1700 calories (about 100 over my 1600 goal), had good protein intake, have been drinking water all day (and as a result now have an over-active bladder, haha!), and ate dinner around 8 pm. It's 11:30 pm here now, and I feel hungry.

I just drank a cup of caff-free tea and about 8 ounces of water. Am I genuinely hungry and could/should eat even though it'll put me over my calories, or should I ignore it? I swam today, which always makes me hungry (though I had a post-workout snack of cheese and crackers). I know I am stressed though, too, because I am working on a very confusing project for grad school that's due tomorrow and am also a bit worried about the fact that I think I re-sprained an ankle I have had surgery on (twice).

How do you tell the difference and know when you should eat and when you should just feel hungry?

Thanks, y'all! :smile:

Replies

• For me I know it's true hunger when even a picture of broccoli looks enticing. I ignore it when I have already reached my daily caloric allowance. Drinking coffee/tea helps.
  • I think if you are truly hungry, you just know. It's more of a physical feeling, than an emotional one. That was my problem for YEARS. I couldn't differentiate between true hunger and stress, boredom, etc. You just have to learn how to listen to your body's cues. If you drink water or tea or whatever or try to distract yourself or deep breathe or whatever the case may be, and you still feel truly physically unsatisfied, it's probably a sign you are truly hungry. It's a learning game, that's for sure. I still have trouble.
  • If I'm truly hungry my stomach rumbles and a piece of fruit/veg looks appetising!
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    try eating half a carrot. (~10 calories) if you don't want to - you aren't hungry ;)
    (don't quote me on this, but it sounds good right? - unless you dont like carrots lol)
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    ps. you could try just going to sleep? thats what i usually do
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    True hunger comes from your stomach not your head. It's a gnawing pain and maybe some rumbling going on. It means an apple or broccoli or carrots look good. Eating just for eating comes from your head and is eyeing up the bag of chips or the chocolate cake.

I try to plan a snack into my day for around 9 pm so I save 100 calories or so for an apple or a cup of grapes to munch on.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 350 Member
    True hunger comes from your stomach not your head. It's a gnawing pain and maybe some rumbling going on. It means an apple or broccoli or carrots look good. Eating just for eating comes from your head and is eyeing up the bag of chips or the chocolate cake.

I try to plan a snack into my day for around 9 pm so I save 100 calories or so for an apple or a cup of grapes to munch on.

^ this, I have to say, few people that are on MFP have ever had "true" hunger... i.e. starvation. It's a genuinely uncomfortable feeling and literally painful. However, there's the 6-7 on the hunger scale that means you need something to keep going. It's only necessary to listen to that if you are starting the day and need energy, not right before you go to bed. However, I think that the person above said it best. If you're hungry for any kind of food, you'll eat an apple, carrot, etc. and feel relieved. If you are craving carbs, sugars, or fats, it is an emotional hunger and staving it off with a walk, tea, water ten push-ups etc. helps. Giving into it, however, will actually not make you feel less hungry (that's another way to know the difference).
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    9 times out of 10 , I drink water and find out I was thristy, not hungry.

The hardest habit I broke was mindless eating -- like while watching TV at night or going to the movies. Or having cake at office celebrations. I just don't do it anymore. At night that hot cup of tea really works while watching TV..

Anotther trick to get you out of eating mindlessly is just heating up fat free chicken broth and sipping on it.

Real hunger is something I don't experience unless I do something stupid like skipping breakfast... I think the rest of the time it is just a conditioned response to the time of day and habits.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    I feel you - being in grad school is hard because you have to stay up late to finish papers and can't just go to sleep, even if that would be the ideal solution. It will get better when you graduate :) but why don't you try super-low calorie foods? Pickles say zero calories on the label. Tea is a great idea too - I love Good Earth tea, it's very flavorful and spicy, like desert.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    I don't remember what show I saw this on but they said to put a stick of celery in the front of the fridge. If you are truly hungry you'll eat it but if you go looking for something else there is probably something else going on like stress or emotional eating.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I don't feel true hunger in my head or my thoughts. I feel true hunger in my energy levels and focus. I know I am really hungry when my body feels low on fuel. I know I am not really hungry when "the thought" of food makes me want to eat.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Can someone help me figure out how to tell the difference between true hunger and stress eating?

I've been doing pretty well at counting calories for about a week now. Today I ate around 1700 calories (about 100 over my 1600 goal), had good protein intake, have been drinking water all day (and as a result now have an over-active bladder, haha!), and ate dinner around 8 pm. It's 11:30 pm here now, and I feel hungry.

I just drank a cup of caff-free tea and about 8 ounces of water. Am I genuinely hungry and could/should eat even though it'll put me over my calories, or should I ignore it? I swam today, which always makes me hungry (though I had a post-workout snack of cheese and crackers). I know I am stressed though, too, because I am working on a very confusing project for grad school that's due tomorrow and am also a bit worried about the fact that I think I re-sprained an ankle I have had surgery on (twice).

How do you tell the difference and know when you should eat and when you should just feel hungry?

Thanks, y'all! :smile:

It is pretty hard to tell the difference. The hunger hormones turn on harder when you are under stress. Lack of sleep, family stress, school stress, work stress, fatigue, hormone cycles, all can turn on the hunger hormones. It is nearly impossible to out will this and you can't do this journey on willpower alone. You must set up your environment for success; do not keep trigger foods in the house, possibly decline some social events. It is hard and it' is a sacrifice to achieve your goal.

This is why some people can eat at a deep deficit and some people can't. It does not mean one is better than the other, it just means you have more to deal with and the only way to be sustainable with your calorie budget is to adjust it to what works for you. Under stress you might need to notch it up some calories so you don't binge. Someone with emotional eating issues usually can't have too deep a deficit. Everyone is different. Everyone has different stress going on during the different phases of their life. Even a small calorie deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones as such, add a new workout routine, and those will make more spikes. This is a huge waiting game and requires much patience. Add in emotional eating issues and then you have more complications. Add in more stress and there are even more complications.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    You just have to learn how to listen to your body's cues.
    I started to identify stress eating when I was at my highest stress levels. I would be sitting in front of the TV, my mind was usually on something else (deadlines at work, money, etc.) and I was shoveling something (chips, cookies or nuts) into my pie hole. At some point during the shoveling madness I recognized that I wasn't at all hungry and I was eating for the sake of eating. The sad part is that I used to keep eating despite knowing that I was stress eating. Just plain dumb. I've since learned to quickly identify when I'm stress eating and will stop it before I pack on a bunch of unnecessary calories.

Be patient, listen to the cues and learn.
  • Thanks, y'all~I held off on eating last night, based on your suggestions.....but I was definitely ready for breakfast this morning! Thanks for all your thoughts, they were super helpful!! :smile: