The Greatest Video Game of All Time Is...

Options

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

I'd like to add an honorable mention for Oregon Trail.

Yeah... FTW

YOU HAVE DYSENTERY!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yeah...for those of you who never played Phantasy Star II, this is where Final Fantasy 7 got it's idea from....

Nei.jpg

Better than any FF game. Period!

But as for greatest game of all time? Zelda:OoT is up there. All game journalists can't be wrong.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Megaman X AINEC.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Donkey Kong
  • BTheGreatest
    Options
    Has to be super mario bros from my childhood..... and I really got into black ops and gta now that i'm older!!
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    KABOOM
    Burnin' Rubber
    Deus Ex Series
    Rygar
  • ShoeloverPearl
    Options
    2zxz8s1.jpg

Ahh memories.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Why does everybody always pick some classic, inferior game thats old as hell as TGVOAT? I could name 20 games right off the top of my head that kick Zelda's *kitten*. Skyrim, Dishonered, God Of War, Uncharted, etc.

I guess different strokes...
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Although I love this...

mario.jpg

I'ma have to go with...

VICtini.jpg

POKEMON!!! (AWWWWYeah, I'm THAT much of a dork)

and what was I doing BEFORE video games???

legos.jpg

and

litebrite.jpg

*sigh* I miss the 80s :frown:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Why does everybody always pick some classic, inferior game thats old as hell as TGVOAT? I could name 20 games right off the top of my head that kick Zelda's *kitten*. Skyrim, Dishonered, God Of War, Uncharted, etc.

I guess different strokes...

Because sometimes it isn't all about technical excellence and the latest and greatest whizz-bang technology, sometimes it is where the game sat in your life and how much it pushed the genre forward.

In Elite's case, this was a lot.

Wireframe black and white graphics and all :)

In X-Com's case, as the latest apparently attempt to 're-imagine' it shows, tactical depth never goes out of fashion.

For Half Life it was watershed release in the FPS genre.

That and some people in their 40s don't have time to play the latest games in depth and just like go on a nostalgia trip occasionally. ;)

Right on, commander.
  • chinasaurus86
    Options
    Portal 2 <3
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Portal 2 <3
    Yes both Portals and Half life series are greats for sure. There are so many its really hard to pick just one as the greatest.
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    MarioKart64-1_zps6bbef626.gif
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Final Fantasy VII. Greatest game of all time, says so right there on the box!

I still like the metal gear series, halo, Uncharted, ratchet and clank, PGR,wipeout, Lost Oddessy, TR1, tie fighter, tekken.
    Awww yeah, some Lost Odyssey love! It has all of the attention to detail in characters/music/setting that the Final Fantasy series lost when Hironobu Sakaguchi left. You actually care about the characters.

Yeah...for those of you who never played Phantasy Star II, this is where Final Fantasy 7 got it's idea from....
    A good recent essay on Phantasy Star II from Jeremy Parish (Editor in chief of 1up.com)
    http://telebunny.net/toastyblog/2012/09/gamespite-journal-12-phantasy-star-ii/
    His point being that yes, Phantasy Star II was groundbreaking, and set a precedent for games like Final Fantasy IV and VII, but the latter did it better.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Seriously Megaman X.

http://youtu.be/8FpigqfcvlM
  • Changes02
    Options
    Some of my favorites growing up were Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Ocarina of time, and a game probably not many people have heard of called Secret of Mana. Today though I would go with Starcraft, Diablo, Fallout and COD as the games I play the most.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As for the guy who said OoT and FF7 were over-rated... you can go die in a hole filled with poo.

This made me giggle like an idiot for a good 3 minutes.

My daughter and I played the crap out of OoT together. My husband and I played the crap out of FF7 together. Both games have a special place in my heart. My all time fave game has to be Skyrim though. I'd say Red Dead Redemption but the ending made me :sad:. Seriously.
  • kureiko
    kureiko Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Morrowind! Or FF7, they're both fantastic. :)
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Ocarina Of Time. Hands down....Majora's Mask is right up there though. As well as Resident Evil...those are just my personal faves