Lower carbs......

Options
I want to start eatting lower carbs. I'm hoping that that will help me lose weight faster. Actually I have a belly on me... I look pregnant! So I'm thinking sugar may be an issue for me. Anyways, anyone else eat lower carbs and have any menu suggestions for me?? I like eggs, cheese, almonds, oatmeal, fruits, some veggies, most meats except for seafood, and yogurt. I want to lose about 30 pounds. Right now, I'm 5'2 and weigh 153! I know that I should try to stay away from, or limit, breads and pastas. I love carbs though lol. I was thinking that if I have a sandwich, I could just use 1 piece of wheat bread instead of 2. Any suggestions on going low carbs most days!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to see my journal. I am fairly low carb. My meals aren't exciting by any means, but I am a bit spartan when it comes to diet. I eat for function.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I too am cutting down carbs, almost eliminating. Doesn't help that I have a adverse reaction to gluten so it makes it a bit more serious. Best way is to find carb free or low alternatives to regularly high carbed foods. Try rice pasta or veggie instead of normal, and try to cut back on the amounts and frequency. Read labels and focus on the carbs on those as well. Eating veggie lunches are always a good option

Also, the sandwich flats have less carbs total. Those nutrition facts count for both pieces instead of just one
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The basic premise of all low carb plans is simple: EATING FAT does NOT make us fat! Instead, an over-abundance of processed carbohydrates (the normal American diet) causes us to become obese and to suffer from obesity-related diseases. While plans differ in the amount and type of carbs "allowed" - from as low as 20g per day in the "Induction Phase" of the Atkins Diet to quite a bit more but only from very whole grain, low glycemic carbs in the SugarBusters Diet, keeping the amount of carbohydrates eaten lower than average is the cornerstone of low carbing.

Look online for menu ideas. I recently stopped eating most wheat based products which is netting me a low carb diet. I thought I'd hate having no bread or pasta but I am surprisingly happy without the bread. Most of my carbs now come from fruits, veggies, and some dairy/soy milk. I honestly feel a lot better. My digestive system is happier. If this makes losing weight easier that is a plus.

I think you have a good idea there....cut back slowly. Open faced sandwiches are great for reducing the total carbs and calories.

Good luck to you.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I want to start eatting lower carbs. I'm hoping that that will help me lose weight faster. Actually I have a belly on me... I look pregnant! So I'm thinking sugar may be an issue for me. Anyways, anyone else eat lower carbs and have any menu suggestions for me?? I like eggs, cheese, almonds, oatmeal, fruits, some veggies, most meats except for seafood, and yogurt. I want to lose about 30 pounds. Right now, I'm 5'2 and weigh 153! I know that I should try to stay away from, or limit, breads and pastas. I love carbs though lol. I was thinking that if I have a sandwich, I could just use 1 piece of wheat bread instead of 2. Any suggestions on going low carbs most days!

You don't necessarily have to lower the amount of carbs you take in. However, I do suggest that you try to get most of your carbs in from fruits and vegetables. Also, you should cut out anything with white flour in it (ex: white bread). Go for whole grains only. Make sure you get enough fiber in as well. I suggest making these changes rather than lowering your carb intake.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel a lot better. My digestive system is happier.

I've often looked at some people's diaries and seen they average around 10-15 grams of fibre per day. How does your ... *cough* ... chocolate system not become solidified and backed up?
  • snapril68
    snapril68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I cut out carbs during the week and just eat fruits, veggies, lean meat, and non-fat dairy. I allow myself cheat days on the weekend without overindulging. So if I decide to have pasta on my cheat day, I have it in moderation. Or if I decide to eat a cheeseburger with the bun I only eat half and maybe a few fries. This has helped me to get out of the plateau I was in. Hope this helps. Good luck :happy:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I've often looked at some people's diaries and seen they average around 10-15 grams of fibre per day. How does your ... *cough* ... chocolate system not become solidified and backed up?

Because fat can serve the same purpose. Look up the Chilean plane crash where people had to resort to eating each other. They became extremely constipated within a couple of weeks at first due to being leery of eating the fat from their compatriots. Some were reported to have gone as long as three weeks without ****ting. Within a few days of implementing the fat into their diets, their systems started working normally again.

It's a gross example, but it proves the point.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I started out a couple of weeks ago with a dramatic reduction in carbs, but still eating a little bit of bread and sugar (mostly in my coffee or as an ingredient - I haven't been eating sugary foods) and I have gradually found myself leaning toward an ultra-low-carb lifestyle/plan. I am getting help from someone I hit up on the boards who had good, no-nonsense advice, so I messaged him and asked for guidance.

The carb cravings don't go away unless you REALLY cut out the processed stuff. Right now I am down to under 20 net carbs a day, and all the carbs I eat are from vegetables and dairy. I have been able to pass up pasta, popcorn and other tidbits, that are always around at my home, for the first time in my life.

I AM eating a diet high in animal fat (meat, cream, cheese), other healthy fats (olive oil), and vegetables (lots of leafy greens, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes (in moderation), cucumbers, peppers, onions and garlic). I am full, satisfied, and though the scale hasn't moved much yet, I can notice a drastic difference in my waistline and face, and how my clothes are fitting me.

I say, just go for broke, if you are going to do it. Small amounts turn into larger amounts of carbs, and they are also hidden in places you don't expect. Expect to go through some withdrawal symptoms, but within a week you will wonder why you were a slave to that stuff for so many years.

In addition to the physical changes, I have noticed that I wake up better in the morning, am more efficient getting things done, and less forgetful in general. It's like someone cleaned out my head. I love the way I feel.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Avoid pasta and muffins completely.
    Eat all other "carbs" in moderation.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Same way as many people don't have problems I guess "most people in the UK don’t eat enough fibre – the average intake is 12.6g a day for women and 15.2g a day for men"

"the average American's daily intake of dietary fiber is only 12–18 grams"

Fibre is only one component of stools.....

About 75% of fecal weight is made up of water. The other 25% is composed of solid matter which contains :

Undigested fiber and solidified components of digestive juices (30%)
    Bacteria (30%)
    Fat (10% to 20%)
    Inorganic matter (10% to 20%)
    Protein (2% to 3%)
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Dietary fat is a great lubricant.
  • rodney64
    rodney64 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm going low carb, and protein for snacks as well.

1 starch and 1 protein for breaky
    Protein for morning tea
    Lunch protein and salad
    Protein in the afternoon
    Protein and vegetables for tea and a snack of protein before tea.

Rules
    1 bread for breakfast with 1 protein
    No sugar
    Low fat meats
    Limit cheese, cottage cheese aloud
    Dressings are ok but with lower carb, you will find 99% fat free is full of sugar.
    Diet drinks aloud
    1 free day each week.

The key to this diet, sugar is the number 1 enemy and that includes fruit. But you can have 1 fruit in exchange for bread in the morning.

You need to eat protein 6 times a day. This will keep away the hunger and keep insulin levels more even.

If you like the idea then join my journey.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that may be fruits and veggies would be unlimited! Here is what I was thinking: For breakfast I could have either an egg omlet with onions and green bell peppers and a banana or oatmeal with a banana. For lunch I would have either a chicken salad with feta cheese and low fat dressing or a turkey sandwich with only 1 piece of wheat bread. I like mayo, so I would really still like to be able to put that on my sandwich.... maybe the one with olive oil in it or a low fat one. Then for snacks I was thinking apples with peanut butter, or some kind of fruit, any veggie (except potatoes), cheese, yogurt, fiber one bar, etc. Foe dinner I would have a meat and veggies. I would eat 3 meals with 2 or 3 snacks a day along with water, 1 cup of coffee in the morning, and a glass of lemon water in the morning.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that may be fruits and veggies would be unlimited!
    Not for low carb. Banana and oatmeal or far from low carb.
  • chris1529
    Options

Then what would be low carb cause I have read that bananas are excellent to eat in the morning and so is oatmeal. I just looked at my oatmeal and it says that it's about 27g of carbs with 4g of fiber and the 1% milk has 13g of carbs. Wow.... now that I look at it, the milk is what does it! Hmmmm.... I thought oatmeal was healthy. Anyways, I usually eat around 150-200g of carbs a day, so I was thinking that if I cut that in half, maybe I would be taking in low carbs.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Dietary fat is a great lubricant.

Amen brother, aaaaamen :)
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Then what would be low carb cause I have read that bananas are excellent to eat in the morning and so is oatmeal. I just looked at my oatmeal and it says that it's about 27g of carbs with 4g of fiber and the 1% milk has 13g of carbs. Wow.... now that I look at it, the milk is what does it! Hmmmm.... I thought oatmeal was healthy. Anyways, I usually eat around 150-200g of carbs a day, so I was thinking that if I cut that in half, maybe I would be taking in low carbs.

Regarding the oatmeal, read this. And no, I am not hocking a book. Someone gave me this link, and has been helping me through the program for free.... IT IS WORKING. It really is! I am as surprised as anyone, but I say again, if you are going to do it, do it all the way. The results are awesome!

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/2031/18-months-of-carb-back-loading-with-julia-ladewski/
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Keto is a low carb diet, so you can search for keto recipes, there are some at the link below

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/

Also when counting carbs, fiber can be subtracted since it isn't digestible.
  • chris1529
    Options

Regarding the oatmeal, read this. And no, I am not hocking a book. Someone gave me this link, and has been helping me through the program for free.... IT IS WORKING. It really is! I am as surprised as anyone, but I say again, if you are going to do it, do it all the way. The results are awesome!

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/2031/18-months-of-carb-back-loading-with-julia-ladewski/

Not sure about skipping breakfast!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you like flour tortillas, try the Mission Carb Balance brand. They have a ton of fiber and very low net carb. Taste and texture is the same as regular flour ones. They are great for burritos, breakfast burritos, wraps, quesadillas, etc. I also like to have a cheeseburger with all the fixings, but wrapped in a large lettuce leaf instead of the bum.
    A good start for sandwiches is to cut back to one slice, but add more meat and veggies.

I just tried the cauliflower pizza crust this week and it was amazing! Especially after not having pad pizza in over 2 months.

Cauliflower is also a good substitute for mashed potatoes.