Show me dramatic weight loss over 50 years old

Options

Replies

• amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Age 71 here. Lost 56 pounds so far. It's no 'harder' to lose weight at this age - but maybe slower. 'Hard' is an attitude. Septuagenarians can be just as mentally tough as anyone else.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I am a week from turning 52 - I have lost 125lbs so far - and had a knee replacement done during this time, so it is possible! Right from day one I refused to use my age - or physical limitations as excuses - you need to get your head in the right space - and have a "I can do this" mindset - every day!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elleinnz/view/6-september-one-year-later-50-kgs-dropped-146443
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Me too, it took a while, but with moderate consistant exercise (nothing extreme due to my arthritis) and using MFP to monitor my food/nutrition I am a brand new woman (well - a much better version anyway). :smile: Oh yeah, I am 62
  • eathealthygetfit
    Options
    Im 50 down 97 lbs, i used to take insulin needles, not any more no more avendia, no more Crestor, no more Altace, no more well - i was on a whole sheet full of meds i run 4 miles a day now, and am booked into the Miami 1/2 Marathon on Jan 27. Age shouldnt stop anyone. btw my Dr is telling me that next spring the clinic will put me in a local newspaper as an axample of how to do it. Ive gone from morbidly obese to fit obese, still 40 lbs to go by next summer. At my optomitrist appoinent in Aug my eyes got two clucks better due to better blood flow. If i can change at 50 anyone can
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and have lost 72lbs so far. Still have a way to go on this journey but know I will get there.

Moving is much easier, my blood pressure is almost normal and I feel so much better.

She can do this. I hope you can encourage her to join mfp, she will see she isn't alone..

Bless you for your love and concern for your friend. She is lucky to have such a caring friend. X
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I have lost 117 pounds, kept it off for 2-1/2 years, and I am 62-years-old. Tell your friend you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

018-1_zpsd97bc140.jpg

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

P.S. Thanks MCMommy and Reese for the kind words. You two are sweeties!
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and lost 54lbs in 5 months
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    And my favorite motivator:

Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining weight is hard.
    Staying overweight is hard.

Choose your hard.
  • Bor2
    Bor2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are in the 50ish range, I'm just under and she's just over. We did the optifast diet together, and both lost significant amounts of weight. She's lost nearly 85 lbs, and I've lost a little over 110 lbs. There's more than one way to lose the weight, but rest assured, it can be done.
  • Bor2
    Bor2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    And my favorite motivator:

Losing weight is hard.
    Maintaining weight is hard.
    Staying overweight is hard.

Choose your hard.

Actually, I've found that gaining weight is easy. Just let her rip. Eat anything you want anytime you want, and don't move, just become one with the couch, or the recliner.

Also, though far less pleasant, losing weight is fairly easy. Just cut way back on your intake and move. You will get hungry, but can keep the ghrelin mostly at bay by consuming low calorie high protien sources every three hours or so.

Maintaining is genuinely hard. This requires planning, discipline, self monitoring, balance and corrective action.
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    THanks for the information
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    First off she has to truly want it. If she's already making excuses as to why she can't do it even pics and success stories aren't going to help her. You are a good friend to want to help her. I hope she wants it bad enough to change.

My story is in January of this year (well December of last but I put it off till the new year) I decided to get healthy. My husband is sick and I was hoping he'd see me succeed and want to do this with me. That hasn't happened. I also had a friend who developed breast cancer and said when she was done with all her treatments that the one thing she learned was that you have to live your life to the fullest, and that made me know that I wasn't doing that, my weight was stopping me from living my life to fullest. As of right now I'm down 136 lbs with about that much left to lose(depending on how small I want to get). It's not easy, it's not going to go away overnight. She will have to work at it. She will get discouraged, but if she sticks with it she will see success. She will be amazed at how good she feels and looks. She needs to know that instead of looking at 6 months down the road she needs to look to the next year or longer just to lose and then be willing to do this for the rest of her life to maintain that loss. Once your heavy you will always have that heavy tendency and it's going to be a life long battle. But it will be worth it because the less fat and weight you have the longer your life expectancy will be. I don't want to die when I'm 60.

Me before January
    meandmarisa.jpg

Me now
    DSC01726.jpg
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and over the past 14 months I've lost 68 pounds. I am halfway to my goal. I think it's easier at this age especially for women. No more TOM cravings or monthly bloat to get frustrated about. Good luck to her.
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am 55, started on My Fitness Pal September 22nd 2012. As of last week, I have lost 10 pounds. Anyone can do it, no matter what age. You have to want to do it. I think it is even more important as you get older to really keep track of your weight and what you are eating as you are more prone to illness and injury as you age.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It is true, it might be more difficult to lose weight as we age.........but............it is probably because we slow down a bit. I will be 80 next year and I have lost weight slowly and methodically as I planned. I stepped up my activity and thanks to this website, I keep track of my eating. I don't have a dramatic weight loss to achieve but it doesn't matter how much! It is the journey we must keep on. Best of luck to your friend.

Winner!
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been working on eating healthier and doing as much exercise as I can handle physically... and I am 59. So far, so good, counting calories has been the 'trick' for me. My husband has gotten a bit jealous so I will help him create an account here and with luck he will 'join' me. So far I am down about 66 pounds.:laugh:
  • getninshape56
    getninshape56 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can not tell you how inspirational or how much I needed to read this thread today. I am 50 "something" with a couple of health issues, 2 of which are weight related and my first priority for losing. Since I'm good at starting, but not staying, I think somewhere subconciously I use my health issues and age, as an excuse. This thread shows me that using my age IS an excuse!

All of you should be so proud :)

Edited to ask: is 1/2 hour to 45 minutes 3-4x a week with an in home walking program sufficient enough for weight loss?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Proper eating, portion/calories control, no junk food, no super processed food, lots of vegetables, fruits and lean proteins is what will help you to lose weight. Exercise is a plus.
  • McShell12
    McShell12 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have lost 117 pounds, kept it off for 2-1/2 years, and I am 62-years-old. Tell your friend you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

018-1_zpsd97bc140.jpg

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

P.S. Thanks MCMommy and Reese for the kind words. You two are sweeties!

What an inspiration!! You look great and so much happier and healthier!! You GO girl!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!