What is your height, weight, and body fat percentage?

Options

Replies

• kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'4
    Weight:130
    Chest: No idea. My boobs are gone.
    Waist: 36
    Hips:25
    Thigh:no idea
    Calf: no idea
    Upper arm: No idea
    Body fat percentage: a couple of points over or under 15% If i had to give a hard number I would say 15%? I got a phat booty.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Scales and tape measurements are NOT accurate in obtaining body fat %. And yes someone at a low weight can have a high body fat %. My BF% for myself will look softer or more ripped on others; it's all individual. If you want a true measurement have someone trained with calipers perform a test; do hydrostatic testing or do the Bod Pod. I have mine done via bod pod and its highly accurate.

I'm 32 yo Female, 5'2, 112lbs and at 17%. Pictures on my profile for reference.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not trying to obtain people's body fat % from scales and tape measures. Obviously you need a device which is specifically for measuring body fat - which is what I used. I agree calipers are more accurate, but I don't have access to those. But anyway, what I'm wanting to do in this thread is to ascertain the variation in such measurements that are possible with a certain body fat percentage.

I've just looked at your pictures. You have a higher BMI than I do, and your body looks a bit slimmer than mine, and with more muscles definition, but I can't actually see that much difference in slimness and general shape. What are your measurements of waist, hips, etc?

Wow, hope you get the information you're looking for. You put up a list of measurements that people use for online BF calculations, you ask what people's BF% is yet somehow I misunderstood? Sorry I don't measure myself in inches; I maintain my weight and lift and have my BF checked every now and then. Don't concern myself with BMI as its only based on height and weight with NO regards to lean body mass.
  • browners7
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a male aged 39

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 73.5 kg
    Body Fat: 8.7%

Since giving up my office based day job and setting up my business coaching boxing my body fat has reduced from 19.8%.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have literally just finished my cut today, so i have all of these stats for OP

Height: 180cm
    Weight: 75.3kg
    Chest: 35
    Waist: 30
    Hips: dunno
    Thigh: 23
    Calf: 15
    Upper arm:14.5
    Forearms: 11
    Body fat percentage: 9.33%

Progress pics on my profile, which i think randoms can see
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage: a couple of points over or under 15% If i had to give a hard number I would say 15%? I got a phat booty.

Think you've got your hips and waist the wrong way round!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, about 145 lbs and I'm 24% body fat. I'm strength training currently and I have noticed a HUGE difference.

I'm strength training too. I guess the weights I'm lifting are not heavy enough yet for a huge difference to happen. How heavy are the weights you lift? Do you do free weights or machines?

Your body fat % will go down far slower building muscle than by losing fat.

If a person is 150 lbs. with 20% body fat, (s)he has 120 lbs. of lean mass and 30 lbs. of body fat. If (s)he puts on 10 lbs. of muscle without any fat at all, she'll be 160 lbs. and 30 lbs. of body fat. Her new body fat % will be 18.75%. By contrast, if that same person lost 10 lbs. of body fat without losing any muscle, she'd have 120 lbs. of lean mass and 20 lbs. of body fat. Her new body fat % would be 14.3%. It's also a helluva lot easier to lose 10 lbs. of fat than gain 10 lbs. of muscle. A serious male weight lifter would consider a 10 lb. mass gain to be great if it happened in 1 year of intense weight training.

Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 206 lbs.
    Chest: 44
    Waist: 37
    Thigh: 24.5
    Calf: 17
    Upper arm (relaxed): 14.5
    Body fat percentage: 16.4
  • kiachu
    Options

Think you've got your hips and waist the wrong way round!

OMG I sure do

Waist 26, hips 36!

How crazy would that look?!
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    23 and female

Height: 5'1
    Weight: 107
    Chest: 32
    Waist: 24
    Hips: 34
    Fat %: 16%
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Wow, hope you get the information you're looking for. You put up a list of measurements that people use for online BF calculations, you ask what people's BF% is yet somehow I misunderstood? Sorry I don't measure myself in inches; I maintain my weight and lift and have my BF checked every now and then. Don't concern myself with BMI as its only based on height and weight with NO regards to lean body mass.

Yep, I explained at the beginning of the post that I was looking for a point of comparison. I had no idea that the measurements I asked for are also used in online BF calculations - I thought BF was measured from machines or callipers, rather than some calculation from measurements. Sorry if that caused confusion - but I am getting some useful information from this thread. Thanks for your contribution. :-)
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of dexa or body pod. The last gym I was at used calipers, but they couldn't work out my body fat %, because the guy was bruising my arms with the calipers, and I asked him to stop. The gym I currently use has a little handheld machine, like the one I posted a picture of, so that is what I used. I will google dexas and body pods.

if you live in a bigger city, just google bod pod. there should be at least one place offering it. i go to the university and it's $35. dexa and bod pod are two of the most accurate ways of measuring BF.

and i don't think you need to worry about "hidden body fat around your organs". just get your BF checked at a bod pod and go from there. if your number is under 30% you're fine. if it's under 25%, you're in the fitness category - even better.
  • opuntia
    Options

Ah, now you look like someone whom I'd expect to have a way lower body fat % than mine, and with similar measurements, because you look really muscly in your pics - so your stats make sense to me.

This may sound like a daft question, but when you stop flexing and just stand in a relaxed manner, do your muscles still show, or do you look similar to how someone would look who doesn't have all those muscles? I'm wondering if maybe the people with lower body fat % than mine who seem similar to me in looks might all have lots of hidden muscles which would show if they stood in a certain way.
  • opuntia
    Options
    if you live in a bigger city, just google bod pod. there should be at least one place offering it. i go to the university and it's $35. dexa and bod pod are two of the most accurate ways of measuring BF.

I'm googling it and it sounds fascinating. I'm in the UK - I might have to travel to London if I want to get it done.
  • kiachu
    Options

Ah, now you look like someone whom I'd expect to have a way lower body fat % than mine, and with similar measurements, because you look really muscly in your pics - so your stats make sense to me.

This may sound like a daft question, but when you stop flexing and just stand in a relaxed manner, do your muscles still show, or do you look similar to how someone would look who doesn't have all those muscles? I'm wondering if maybe the people with lower body fat % than mine who seem similar to me in looks might all have lots of hidden muscles which would show if they stood in a certain way.

When I relaxed I look like a person with muscle who is relaxed. They dont disappear.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't have all of my measurements in front of me, but I'll give ya what I know.

Female
    44 years old
    Height 5'3.5"
    CW: 103 lbs
    Bust: 32"
    Waist 24"
    Hips 34"
    Thighs: 18"
    BF% 18-20 depending on hydration level
  • opuntia
    Options
    When I relaxed I look like a person with muscle who is relaxed. They dont disappear.

Ah, okay. I guess I need to observe people with various levels of muscle, to see how it looks when they are relaxed. I think I look fairly toned when I'm relaxed, but I imagine it will look quite different when I have developed more muscle.
  • opuntia
    Options
    Your body fat % will go down far slower building muscle than by losing fat.

If a person is 150 lbs. with 20% body fat, (s)he has 120 lbs. of lean mass and 30 lbs. of body fat. If (s)he puts on 10 lbs. of muscle without any fat at all, she'll be 160 lbs. and 30 lbs. of body fat. Her new body fat % will be 18.75%. By contrast, if that same person lost 10 lbs. of body fat without losing any muscle, she'd have 120 lbs. of lean mass and 20 lbs. of body fat. Her new body fat % would be 14.3%. It's also a helluva lot easier to lose 10 lbs. of fat than gain 10 lbs. of muscle.

Ah, that is interesting. I assume I have lost fat over the past year - I've lost 25lb of weight - but I hadn't had my body fat % measured when I was 25lb heavier, so I don't have a point of comparison with myself. I'm not particularly looking to lose weight at the moment, so maybe it will be slower for me to decrease my body fat %.
  • opuntia
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your input - there's a lot of info here, and I'm still sifting through it to gain more understanding of body fat %.

I just tried an online body fat calculator, since I've learnt that such things exist, and most of them calculate my body fat % to be 20.3%, which is significantly lower than what the little machine measured. But I'm unsure how a few body measurements could lead to such a calculation. I'll try the little machine again - if I use it several times, it might give me different results each time, and then I can find an average.
  • IronSheff
    IronSheff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    6'4"
    240 lbs
    13% bf

One year ago:
    331 lbs
    29% bf

I've lost 90 lbs in the past year, but I stopped worrying about the scale months ago and started concentrating on how I felt, my bf%, and the fact that I've gone from a size 44 waist jeans and XXL shirts to 36" jeans and slim fit/athletic shirts. I'll never be 200 lbs, nor do I remotely want to, but as long as I'm staying under 15% bf then I'm perfectly fine with where I'm at. I'm going to bulk for the next couple of months and concentrate on gaining more strength and muscle mass then my goal next year will be to probably drop to around 9% bf and finally concentrate on the 6 pack. What I tell people about losing weight: put in the work and don't turn to fad diets or miracle pills, don't be obsessed with the scale, make sure you're eating ENOUGH, keep track of bf% and lean muscle mass, get plenty of rest each night, and stay humble. The worst thing a person who was once obese can do is forget where they once were and look down on others who are trying to get there.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10, around 140lbs and 19.9% body fat. Lol. I just had this health assessment thing done yesterday at work and that's what they said it was.

I don't really feel like measuring everything though, sorry!

The lady who was showing me my results said my body fat percentage was lower than ideal.... and she told me to work on having a good amount of muscle to do strength training because it's really good for you. :) I like that she is telling people that.
  • opuntia
    Options
    The lady who was showing me my results said my body fat percentage was lower than ideal.... and she told me to work on having a good amount of muscle to do strength training because it's really good for you. :) I like that she is telling people that.

That's interesting. Surely if you gain more muscle, your body fat % will be even lower. But maybe it's okay to be lower if you have a lot of muscle.