What old technologies do you remember?

Options

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Ok. So Furby's aren't ancient - but I just found out they are back! Weird. They came out in 1998. I guess that means just about anything can come back. I remember when they banned them from military bases for spying!
    furbyhhhh.jpg

Anyway remember this toy?
    Weebles.jpg

How about this one? I was addicted to it for a long time.
    Simon-Game_l.jpg
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    weebles wobble... but they don't fall down!

if we can post toys from our youth, that opens this whole thread up!! ;)

-78903304677562370.jpg

elecfootball.jpg
  • lshaunessy
    Options
    My parents got one of the very first VCR's made. It even had a remote... with 3 buttons, Play, Stop, and Pause, and it was connected to the VCR by a cable that stretched across the room.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    How about those old console wooden tvs? I remember as I kid we got like 3 or 4 channels and I had to get up to adjust the rabbit ears to get a program to come in lol.
  • lshaunessy
    Options
    rotary phone .... on a party line!

actually getting UP to change the channel on the TV

car phones

commodore 64

God I'm old! :sad:

I'm right there with you. My parent's had a party line when I was a kid, we shared it with my grandmother and a neighbor down the street. One long ring for us, 2 short rings for grandmother, 1 long and 1 short for the neighbor.:laugh:

We had 3 TV channels, ABC, CBS, and NBC. But in order to get NBC my dad had to get on the roof and rotate the antenna, and then we could watch NBC but not ABC. :sad:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    zenith-16z7c50z-console.jpg
    This was our first TV. Later we converted it into an aquarium.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    We had 3 TV channels, ABC, CBS, and NBC. But in order to get NBC my dad had to get on the roof and rotate the antenna, and then we could watch NBC but not ABC. :sad:

if you tell that to kids nowadays, they just won't believe you.

twoyork.jpg
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    macse.jpg

The first modern computer my ex and I owned. My son learned how to type (because we used Mario Teaches Typing as a punishment for him) AND we used the old Miracle Piano Teaching System on it to see if he could learn to play piano....it led to him playing a piano solo in a school program when he was 7.. It was a pretty cool machine for back then....and it was only $2,500. :D
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Yep. I know. But some toys involved new technologies like talking or not falling over and even lights and sounds. Grin. I think it does sorta fall under technologies. Luckily, Cabbage Patch dolls don't fall under technology but Furby's do. Grin.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options

I can't even imagine doing this. Wasn't there an old movie based on that? Rock Hudson or something?

Monica
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I remember using the "latest" technology when I typed up book reports on an electric typewriter after capturing notes on 3x5 cards at the library and hand writing the report. My typewriter was very advanced - complete with white correction tape that I thought was so much better than whiteout.

brotherl10.jpg
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In a word - Pong!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

My brother and I would stay up till the 3 Philly stations went off the air and then try to get the NY stations in to watch the old Steve Allen show. Sometime I had to get a long piece of aluminum foil from the kitchen and attach it to the rabbit ears and then HOLD it so my body would become part of the antennae. But it was worth it. NY had the best late night shows!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Records going to A-tracks then to tapes.
    Also-- floppy disks.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    iphone-300x200.jpg

Remember the old oppressive days of Iphone before Android came along and liberated humanity?
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Let me walk around the house. I probably have some still in use.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ah... the good old days of climbing on the roof to adjust the antenna so all three of the channels would come in clearly! And don't forget the wire hanger that doubled as a radio antenna for the car...almost forgot AM radio was the bomb!!
    Rick Dees on 56WHBQ out of Memphis, TN before he became famous...
  • RubySinclair
    RubySinclair Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I'm right there with you. My parent's had a party line when I was a kid, we shared it with my grandmother and a neighbor down the street. One long ring for us, 2 short rings for grandmother, 1 long and 1 short for the neighbor.:laugh:

Party line nowadays has a WHOLE different meaning! lol

I thought tinfoil on rabbit ears was standard issue!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I remember running without any music and then the novelty of using the latest techonology on my runs:

sonywalkman.jpg
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I can't even imagine doing this. Wasn't there an old movie based on that? Rock Hudson or something?

Monica

We had that when I was in high school and I'm really not THAT old :noway: