my periods have stopped. advice please?

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    20.4 bodyfat isn't even that low.. Thats around where I am, and I still get a period.

I'd go get a second opinion from a different doctor.
  • spark409
    Options
    okay.. might get a second opinion then

does anyone know though, if your peiods can permanently stop?
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I was in my teens my period stopped for 9 months due to dieting. I took a few month of eating better for it to come back. I had two boys and 20+ years if periods so no permanent damage was done.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    my body fat % is 20.4

i have been to a doctor and she was not helpful at all

all she said was gain weight and your periods will come back.

my dieting was extreme prob below 1200 so im not surprised
    now im eatin around 1800-2100 calories a day

Just keep doing what you are doing for a bit and see how it goes. Or find a different doctor. 20% body fat isn't low enough to stop your period. Either the measurement is incorrect, or there is something else going on. If you continue to eat at your current level for another month or so and it doesn't return, consider finding another gynecologist. Or get your body fat measured by someone else.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would get a second doctor opinion on the issue. Something doesn't sound right with this.

However, I would love to be in your shoes..

I have PCOS...

and at times I had my monthly cycle for three months straight. xx

Anyway, from what I read PCOS affects differently. You may have that. Has the doctor tested you for it?
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Im 20 years old.

have seen doctor but yeah.. she was not helpful at all :(

i guess im wondering when i can expect them to come back.
    im really worried that my periods have stopped PERMANENTLY (pre menopause?) and that i might never be able to have kids.
    ive had NO periods in 2012.

i guess ill give it a bit more time, hopefully my body will bounce back soon

Did you go to your regular doctor or OBGYN?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I had an eating disorder when I was younger and my periods completely stopped for a year. I was probably between 85-90 at 5'5. I'm not sure if some of the posts on here about this "being awesome" are serious or sarcastic, but making fun of or belittling a very serious situation for a lot of people is pretty off color - especially on a site where a lot (not all, but a lot) of people are trying to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way. But, I digress.

OP - It took almost 6 months for me to get healthy and for my periods to resume. They were really light at first - kind of like starting over. If you are serious about getting a grip on this, then I would find a nutritionist who specializes in eating disorder recovery (or extreme athlete recovery) to set you on the right course. I'm not an expert, but I bet that if you sustain a healthy weight your period will come back and it shouldn't impact your ability to have children (of course, barring there are no other issues there).
  • nicolie2012
    Options
    kids.. meh. i'd rather be awesome lol

Now that's what I'm talking about. Go hard. Procreation is for people who are willing to accept a lesser existence. ;)
    actually your body shuts down at this point to create another life because you are at that fine line of healthy versus unhealthy and the lord above knows it would be unhealthy for you to create life during this time..

Im certain all the PCOS mothers who are trying to lose weight in HOPES & PRAYERS to have a child would just LOVE to see this thread.

Did you really just try to refute biology with Jesus? Are you serious?
    Yeah, we can see the wonders that prayer is doing for all of those large sweaty *kitten*, gradually eating their way toward Type 2 diabetes, and filling up the church pews every Sunday.
    Just stop while you're ahead.

Extremely harsh comment, in no way representative of the question asked and belittling women who cannot have children because you choose not to. No child is a burden and no mother is of a lesser existence. It is our choices which make us who we are and just because you're not religious you think it is acceptable to swear at someone who simply made a comment about prayer. Here's a suggestion, grow up and 'pray' you never have to suffer enough to turn to that because you have clearly had an easy life to be that immature.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    you... rock
    lol:laugh:
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    Hi
    My periods have stopped due to extreme dieting and exercise.
    I've been healthier for about 2-3 months now but my periods have still not come back.

I'd love to hear from any of you other ladies out there who have had this problem.
    How did you fix it?
    Ive gained weight but my periods are still not coming back.

(personal dets:
    5'4, 117 pounds,
    exercise about 4 times a week 30min - 1 hour
    a mixture of speed intervals and weight training)

You are doing fine and eating over 1200 calories a day. Unless you are wanting children/a pregnancy I wouldnt worry about it.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think children are AWESOME! Let's face it, if it weren't for children... you wouldn't be here! :P

LOL If I were never born, do you think I would care?

Kids can be awesome. I'm a teacher and I'd do everything for my students. Just don't wanna come home to that when I've spent all day at work with kids.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    my body fat % is 20.4

i have been to a doctor and she was not helpful at all

all she said was gain weight and your periods will come back.

my dieting was extreme prob below 1200 so im not surprised
    now im eatin around 1800-2100 calories a day

This may sound like a silly question but why do you want your period? It isn't unhealthy to not have a period. If you want to have get pregnant you will need to increase your bodyfat but if you aren't looking to get pregnant right now why worry about it?

If your doctor isn't worried, you shouldn't be. When I was deployed in Afghanistan I took my bc straight so I wouldn't have to worry about my period when I was overseas. When I got back I continued..checked with my doctor of course. So now I go off my bc about 3-4 times a year just to give myself a period. But other than that IT'S FRIGG'N GREAT!

So,
    Unless you are "in love" with your TOM just enjoy the fact that having low bady fat keeps it away!
    ;-)
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Hi
    My periods have stopped due to extreme dieting and exercise.
    I've been healthier for about 2-3 months now but my periods have still not come back.

I'd love to hear from any of you other ladies out there who have had this problem.
    How did you fix it?
    Ive gained weight but my periods are still not coming back.

(personal dets:
    5'4, 117 pounds,
    exercise about 4 times a week 30min - 1 hour
    a mixture of speed intervals and weight training)

I suggest that you go see your gynecologist.
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Now that's what I'm talking about. Go hard. Procreation is for people who are willing to accept a lesser existence. ;)
    actually your body shuts down at this point to create another life because you are at that fine line of healthy versus unhealthy and the lord above knows it would be unhealthy for you to create life during this time..

Im certain all the PCOS mothers who are trying to lose weight in HOPES & PRAYERS to have a child would just LOVE to see this thread.

Yeah, we can see the wonders that prayer is doing for all of those large sweaty *kitten*, gradually eating their way toward Type 2 diabetes, and filling up the church pews every Sunday.

Extremely harsh comment, in no way representative of the question asked and belittling women who cannot have children because you choose not to. No child is a burden and no mother is of a lesser existence. It is our choices which make us who we are and just because you're not religious you think it is acceptable to swear at someone who simply made a comment about prayer. Here's a suggestion, grow up and 'pray' you never have to suffer enough to turn to that because you have clearly had an easy life to be that immature.

^^^well said nicole, i have two beautiful girls and they are far from a burden and bout being of a lesser existence PMSL thats all i will say to that!! :laugh:
  • vienna26
    Options
    I think children are AWESOME! Let's face it, if it weren't for children... you wouldn't be here! :P

LOL If I were never born, do you think I would care?

Kids can be awesome. I'm a teacher and I'd do everything for my students. Just don't wanna come home to that when I've spent all day at work with kids.

Lol well if you were never born you wouldnt be able to care anyway:-p
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Will losing muscle mass cause your period to stop? I've lost quite a bit from cutting too much out if my diet, not eating enough, over training my body and not resting enough. I was doing Bodyrock months ago and that's what caused the muscle loss and fat gain and lose skin. I have a lot more fat than I do muscle, now.

I also had to stop taking birth control because I missed taking a pill after my last period was over so I was told that I had to wait till I'm done my next period to go back on the pill but that was awhile ago, maybe a month or around there. Maybe even two. I'm worried also.

My Mom says its normal since my body is so use to the pill. I've been on it for a few years now.

Also, please message me if anyone has an answer for me. Thank you. :)
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options

^^^well said nicole, i have two beautiful girls and they are far from a burden and bout being of a lesser existence PMSL thats all i will say to that!! :laugh:

People that want children should have them. Unfortunately that is not always possible. People who do not want children should not have them. Unfortunately it happens.
  • melissadid2002
    melissadid2002 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can recall when I was in Army Basic Training because of our exercising and stressful environment that we were told when we first were there that our periods would go away for awhile during our training. Mine did end up going away but I only really remember that going on for about 3 or 4 months total. And it came back slowly after I moved to my new level AIT training for my specialty where they weren't as focused on our level of physical prowess to do the different tasks we needed to do but where it was more about learning our jobs. It was weird and nice at the same time I did ask my Dr after I got to my new duty station about it and they said not to worry about it unless it got to lasting like 6 months long or so after I had arrived at my duty station. It came back soon after. So from the sounds of it you are putting yourself through a rigorous training period and your body is reacting to that. I would give it about the 6 months and then bring it to your doctor's attn, or not to worry about it till that point.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

My Mom says its normal since my body is so use to the pill. I've been on it for a few years now.

Also, please message me if anyone has an answer for me. Thank you. :)

I've gone off and on the pill and it hasn't impacted my ability to have a period. I may have been off, but only by a few weeks. I think the issue is probably related to your admitted problem with diet, exercise and rest. Emotional stress can also throw you off, but not for a sustained period of time.
  • vienna26
    Options

People that want children should have them. Unfortunately that is not always possible. People who do not want children should not have them. Unfortunately it happens.

True hun, kids arent for everyone and its personal choice whether you do want to have kids if you dont want them theres nothing wrong in that whatever makes you happy!!