my periods have stopped. advice please?

Options
13»

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    LOL If I were never born, do you think I would care?
    Lol well if you were never born you wouldnt be able to care anyway:-p

Kinda the point I was trying to make, lol
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    LOL If I were never born, do you think I would care?
    Lol well if you were never born you wouldnt be able to care anyway:-p

Kinda the point I was trying to make, lol

Exactly stating the obvious lol
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'm also worried about this!! I've not cycled since June. My fat % is 26% I'm 5'5 at 158.7lbs working pot 6x a week. Insanity workouts, I've lost 96.3lbs...... I think I'll go see a doctor.......
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    okay.. might get a second opinion then

**does anyone know though, if your periods can permanently stop?**

Yes, they can - when you're MY age! I just turned 52. I get a very light, short period once a year. I'm still NOT menopausal because I still get it. When it permanently stops, that's menopause. A long way away for you! :smile:
  • laurachristina92
    Options
    The menstrual cycle is up there with the most easily affected of systems within the human body. Any slight change can throw it off completely; whether that be stress or a sudden change in diet/exercise. Go and see your GP and try to restrict the amount of change you inflict on yourself all at once!! You may need to rule out pregnancy too, especially if you're extreme dieting as that may have detrimental effects on any foetus which may or may not be there.

Unless you're actively trying to get pregnant then an irregular cycle shouldn't upset your routine too much, although if you're anything like me you'll be rather stressed at the fact that it's not happened on time! I've got PCOS and have found that as my weight increased, my cycle went from 32 days to anything between 50 and 150 days. Since I've started losing weight gradually, they're starting to return to shorter periods of time between each one.

Any drastic changes can cause irregular periods, your GP probably won't do anything until it's been around 3-6 months since your last cycle. Try building your diet and exercise plan up gently to avoid shocking the body with sudden drastic changes. Hope this helps x
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you are on birth control, it is normal to not have a period. If you are over 45 or so, it is peri-menapause and is normal. I am 47 and have not had one in a few years. ALthough my gyno says that your body needs to have a period every 3 months to keep the uterus lining healthy and gives me hormones occasionally to force a period. Hopefully t's all about the hormones. That is something a doctor can check. I would pursue it if you don't fall into the first two categories but it could mean something more. Good luck with finding out..
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    See your OBGYN regardless of what "Advice" people on here give you that needs to be checked out.Good luck doll!
  • spark409
    Options
    i went to see a regular doc/GP

Why do i want them back? well because a healthy woman, is MEANT to have periods.
    also since ive never had one at ALL this year im worried. its been 10months with no periods.

Im also not pregnant and have never been on birth control.

Why do i want periods back?
    - its been too long without them, im scared something else is going on.
    - i dont want to wake up 10 years down the road, and find out that my bad dieting and exercising caused me to be permanently infertile or something.
    - the people in my life are scaring me saying that they think my periods have permanetly stopped and i wont have the OPTION of having kids in the future if i want.
    - i dont want to have kids now. but i certainly want the option for the future.
  • MindfulVegana
    MindfulVegana Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    From the moment I first got my periods, they have never been regular. I was overweight throughout my teenage years and still overweight now, according to my doctors, but they also said it could be down to stress :\ I get the cramps, bloating and the cold like I normally would get before my period, but nothing's there, soooo yeah
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My period stopped when I was about 24yrs but unfortunately I can't remember for how long - perhaps a few months. Yes it definitely came back and I have a feeling it was light and only a couple of days initially but it definitely became normal. Then I had my two children when I was 27 then 28. I went through menopause in my mid to late 40's and haven't seen sight nor sign of it for probably 6 to 8 years. I'm 55. By the way I'm NOT upset about that LOL :-)

My period stopped because of stress. I had been under a similar stress when my father died but my periods were fine then, and then 4 1/2 years later my Mum died suddenly. My periods again were ok but then 3 months later I learned my father-in-law had cancer and then BAM that was it!! I think it was the stress of my Mum and my F-I-L that did it. I went through similar stress five months after that but my periods were fine. My periods were as regular as clockwork until they messed around thinking about stopping......... finally.

I've just had a quick look on the net - amenorrhea is the medical term for stopped periods. The website is http://www.everydayhealth.com/pms/managing-stress-during-pms.aspx

"(If you’ve been dealing with amenorrhea for a few months, however, your doctor may ask about your health history and perform various tests, including checking hormone levels. Pregnancy, cysts, tumors, hormone deficiencies, and factors other than stress can cause more than one missed period.)

Because stress can affect the part of the brain responsible for producing hormones, it can throw hormonal levels out of whack, which can lead to changes in the frequency and duration of your menstrual period.
    Reducing your level of stress or finding effective coping mechanisms may help your body revert to a normal menstrual period. Talking with a therapist can lower stress and help you manage stress symptoms, eventually allowing your system to return to regularity."

If by chance you have been thru a great deal of stress lately then the above may be something you need to consider, however if it is truly low food intake then just follow your doctor's instructions. Your family and friends are worried and I think are now causing you to become stressed. Try your best to stay chilled. If you remain uncertain about things, get a second opinion. Oh, and GOOD LUCK
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i went to see a regular doc/GP

Why do i want them back? well because a healthy woman, is MEANT to have periods.
    also since ive never had one at ALL this year im worried. its been 10months with no periods.

Im also not pregnant and have never been on birth control.

Why do i want periods back?
    - its been too long without them, im scared something else is going on.
    - i dont want to wake up 10 years down the road, and find out that my bad dieting and exercising caused me to be permanently infertile or something.
    - the people in my life are scaring me saying that they think my periods have permanetly stopped and i wont have the OPTION of having kids in the future if i want.
    - i dont want to have kids now. but i certainly want the option for the future.

For issues with your period, always see a gynecologist.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

My Mom says its normal since my body is so use to the pill. I've been on it for a few years now.

Also, please message me if anyone has an answer for me. Thank you. :)

I've gone off and on the pill and it hasn't impacted my ability to have a period. I may have been off, but only by a few weeks. I think the issue is probably related to your admitted problem with diet, exercise and rest. Emotional stress can also throw you off, but not for a sustained period of time.

Hmmm, the working out and my eating habits and mood swings might be doing it...