Left Handed People....talk!

Options
TropicalFlowerz
TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
I cook alot,...and would luv to find left handed oven mitts,sure i can turn'em around!...but the thick paded side is then on the back of my hand!(ouch!)......and would love to find lefthaded can opener!

Anybody else lefty....w/ sim gripes?,...or silly stories?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a lefty. My oven mitts are from Ikea, and the same thickness on both side. Though to be honest I just use a folded up kitchen towel most of the time :tongue:

I have a smooth edge can opener like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Smooth-Opener/dp/B000079XW2

It's either not hand specific, or else I just never noticed. My biggest gripe is with scissors, always! Finding good left-handed scissors is such a pain.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Southpaw here. Finding sports equipment is a pain. Golf clubs, golf glove, baseball mitt. For cooking I use my right hand for handling the pans and do the stirring and such left handed.

I agree can openers are the worst.
  • Strong_as_Oak
    Strong_as_Oak Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Lefties are the Devil...... Joking. I never actually thought about the difficulties in day today tasks I take for granted.
  • MySunshine76
    Options
    I am a lefty. But my dad didn't want me to be, so everything he taught me, batting, throwing, catching, bowling, etc. was from a right-handed perspective. So I do alot of things right-handed, alot of things left-handed, and alot I can do with either. As far as scissors go, I've tried to use left-handed scissors but I can't, it seems odd. I was taught at school to use right-handed scissors with my left-hand because there were no left-handed ones available. But, I don't mind, it's who I am. I like being able to use both.
  • cakelady69
    Options
    check a restaurant store for good mitts and can openers. I'm a lefty too. For the most part I don't have any issues with finding things. I work in the food industry, so I'm use to the issues with right handed gadgets.
  • icandoanything2
    icandoanything2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i know your pain!!
    But like the above poster, I also use a folded kitchen towel.
    Can openers and ice cream scoopers are what I can't find, ever!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat and write left handed but do everything else righthanded. It confuses those around me :tongue:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I eat and write left handed but do everything else righthanded. It confuses those around me :tongue:

same here, I was taught to do everything righty because I was the only lefty in my classes growing up.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

same here, I was taught to do everything righty because I was the only lefty in my classes growing up.

DITTO

Only eat and drink with my left hand.

I cut with scissors and use a butter knife, steak knife with my RIGHT hand.
  • 62clpowell
    62clpowell Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm left handed and I use the ove glove it's made for either hand and really does protect :)
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am a lefty. But my dad didn't want me to be, so everything he taught me, batting, throwing, catching, bowling, etc. was from a right-handed perspective. So I do alot of things right-handed, alot of things left-handed, and alot I can do with either. As far as scissors go, I've tried to use left-handed scissors but I can't, it seems odd. I was taught at school to use right-handed scissors with my left-hand because there were no left-handed ones available. But, I don't mind, it's who I am. I like being able to use both.

I am am ambidextrous. I think this is part of the reason I don't write left handed. I don't think it was that my mother didn't want me to be left handed, I think she just didn't realize i was ambidextrous until I was older. I write right handed because I never practiced left. I never practiced left because my mom thought I picked up the pencil in the wrong hand and would correct me. I eat left handed, I write right, i use the computer mouse left handed, I throw right, I brush my teeth with both. Figure this one out ;) lol. I have oven mitts that can be used on either hand with equal thickness. Due to previous injuries to my left wrist, I pick up heavier things in my right hand but when something needs concentration or detail I usually use my left hand. I have to sit at a computer when I interview people at work and a few clients have noticed how fast I type. Well, part of that is because i can type in numbers and such with my right hand while mousing through with my left. Comes in handy for efficiency ;)
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm left handed and love it!

-- except I'm really bad with scissors.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm a lefty, been one all my life. ;) Both my 2 girls turned out to be lefties too! My oven mitts are the same on both sides so I have no problems getting food out of the oven. For a can opener, we have an electric one so that's no problem either. I think someone should open a chain of Leftoriums like there is in The Simpsons. :)
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I'm left handed and love it!

-- except I'm really bad with scissors.
    Lol! Me too :-)
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Tin openers! Bane of my life.
    At my university there are seats with the little pull up table things for you to write on, but they're only on the right side so you have to write so awkwardly as a left hander when using them -_-
  • Trinity1982
    Options
    i've never had a problem being a lefty. i use can openers that it doesn't matter if they're left or right handed and i buy oven mitts that are thick on both sides!

in saying that, i use my right hand for a LOT of things so some could say i'm ambidextris. i use scissors, throw, catch, pick up items etc in my right hand but i write with my left. it was something i taught myself growing up and it's a non issue for me.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I use both hands depending on what I'm doing, My Grand daugter is a lefty lucky for her there are scholarships for lefties
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm a leftie but it was litterally beaten out of me at school so I was ambidextrous till about my mid twentys.

:ohwell:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Scissors, can-openers or oven mitts have never bothered me, but my handwriting is ATROCIOUS, because I can't see what I'm writing til I've already written it! (Don't even get me started on trying to write on a dry-erase board.)

And in high school, they had those desks with right-sided mini tables attached, those were a pain. I got around it by sitting in the second-to-the-left row, and pulling an empty desk on my left to sit flush with my seat, and writing on that.