Recovery from mental illness..

13»

Replies

• barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    HI...I have had problems with anxiety since I was young...ever since I got in front of a class (that was before I got glasses and couldn't see a thing) and those in my class started pointing at me and laughing....I haven't been able to get in front of a group ever since without having panic attacks...I remember when I was 13, and was trying to make a phone call, I was nervous about it, and after only dialing 3 numbers, I would have to go to the bathroom, and this repeated each time I tried...finally after about 4 tries I was able to complete my phone call...I never went to a Dr about it....then when I got married, I was only about 16, I walked in on my new husband and my little 9 year old sister, nakid in my father's bedroom...I turned around and it was blocked from my memory until he walked out on me 2 years later..I married twice since then, both were abusive...still I didn't get help...then I decided to go to college, I studied horse science/general agriculture as a way to heal...I loved it, and learned a lot...I also had 1 year studying office administration...when I moved back to Arizona, I got my first real job (before that I mostly did waitress work, which is real hard).about 22 years ago, I found a job doing medical billing, I was a newby, so I had to figure it out...from there, I moved to a billing position in the mental health/substance abuse field...I was there for about 4 years, and was successful, but the RBHA that was authorizing us to provide services, and paid us, decided to withold our payments...we fought, but eventually ran out of money to fight....I moved on to my current position, which is on an indian reservation doing the same thing...in the beginning when I was asked to sit at the front desk to cover at lunch, I was very nervous, and when I had to make a phone call, it took 20 minutes to build up the courage....eventually, I did go see a psychiatrist out of the area for confidentiality, and was put on PAXIL (generic) and this has helped....what I do, I guess, is to throw myself into my work, and keep busy...I know I have an important job, bringing in the money from insurance and medicaid to help our facility grow and provide more services to the people...in the last few years we have added telepsychiatry services...which is done because we are in the middle of nowhere, and it allows clients to have a psychiatry appt , and can provide them with medications if they are needed...this looks like a computer screen, but both ends can see and interact with each other.(actually, the psychiatrist is 100 miles away in a big city) ..it is really neat...

I feel that this job is helping me to heal, although it is high pressure, and a lot of stress because we are doing so much now, and the job of billing it all, is huge...but in a way, it is helping me to contribute my 2 cents...I've been at this job in particular for almost 15 years, and I like this feeling of being important...it's great for my self esteem....and my ex said I'd never make it on my own... If I left LOL

when I first started this job, the program was pretty small, and really had been in existance just a few years.....we are now 74 employees strong, and have earned accredidation, which is issued after going thru rigorous checking of our services, our professional standards, and the clients satisfation...we earned this status 2008, we also have awards for being the top clinic in indian country across the USA...other indian clinics are comng to see us to see what we are doing, even the representatives from our states medicaid program have come to see use, to see what we are doing...I'm referred to as the "super biller"....

my recovery is to help all of you....
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I tried DBT, in a group, and I found it incredibly difficult. I find it difficult to be among groups of people anyway due to also being on the autistic spectrum(go figure, having bpd and that, you wouldnt have thought it possible), and I found a lot of it seemed so basic. I got frustrated and quit on that. I tried CBT for a while recently, but was not at ease with the therapist, and asking someone who has issues with autistic traits to deal with recognising emotions, well. I found myself just missing appointments and wanting to escape. I think partly, because I found therapy, and the whole psychiatric process, left me more aware of myself as being this damaged, flawed and failed human being. I wanted to be normal and I hated being reminded that I am not 'normal', whatever that might be.

I spent almost a year totally isolated from society, because I decided that with the borderline diagnosis, that was the only way I could ever find any peace. I often despise my emotions, and wish to God I had none at all. They used to serve me well in terms of my writing, photography and creativity, but at the same time, they are so intense that things that others might just be able to allow to wash over them, leave me so crippled by emotional hurt that I end up sedating myself by various means or just resorting to comfort eating, or abusing myself. There is no balance, for me, between being too attached to people and too detached, thus friendships have eluded me for the most part, though there are some people online and a few in real life(at a distance) who have seen something in me worth sticking around for (god knows what!)

In my own city, I have no-one. I know no-one really. I had a boyfriend, but had to step away from that recently because it was not working and my issues were becoming worse. I had a nutritionist who took me under her wing, but due to hitting her own issues, she went from daily contact, and regular meetings, to little to no contact, thus I have spent the last few weeks in the most incredibly bad place, in a deep foggy depression, bulimia raging out of control, and full of self hatred, with no one to turn to at all. I cannot tell you how hard that is when you have no support system and the one person who had stepped in to help and to support, stepped back out again. I don't feel sorry for myself, I know I will eventually manage to pull myself back up again, I usually do once I find some spark inside, something in me that I feel is worth fighting for.

I have all the time in the world for others who are suffering and who are feeling alone, or desperate, as I have been there so often myself. I think, unless you have experienced certain things, it can be impossible to relate or empathise with those going through mental health difficulties. There is so much stigma attached to certain diagnoses, especially personality disorders, which are often just another form of PTSD. In my case, childhood sexual abuse and certain family issues left me with zero sense of self worth, and therefore the expectation that anyone who came to know me, would walk away.

I have battled through severe anorexia, and almost died from it 4 times. I spent endless periods in hospitals from the age of 14, from overdosing in an attempt to escape my own mind and my home situation. I experienced being sectioned for a month and kept in my room 24/7, and not treated very well by the staff involved(I was once stitched up with nothing to numb the pain, as punishment). I have lost many people who failed to see the good parts of me, because at the time, I was consumed in the bad.

So yeah, I have such empathy and sympathy for others who are in this same place.
    I hope one day to find some way out of how I am, as it is like being in prison. You are always on the outside, looking into a world you cannot be a part of. Watching people interract and have fun, and become friends, but having no idea how to get there yourself.
    About to give treatment another try, as I am now 37 and life is slipping me by, and I feel I am not living it at all.
    I have lost so many years to these diagnoses, and often wonder if there is actually anything left of 'me' underneath the labels, or if the labels are all anyone is every going to see.

So, that is my sharing. Something I have grown to dislike doing because often, sharing so openly leads people to either run a mile, or to use your vulnerabilities against you.

I hope everyone in this thread, finds some sort of peace, and can reach a point where their issues are no longer preventing them from living a productive and contented life. I think everyone deserves to experience love and joy in their lives, regardless of their diagnoses.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    I had PTSD for a long time without realising I had it. When I realised I had it, I went for some therapy. The therapy wasn't very helpful, although the therapist was very good, and she recognised I learn things better from reading than from talking, so she recommended a book called 'Trauma and Recovery', by Judith Herman. The book turned out to be just what I needed. It clearly explained the history of our understanding of PTSD, and how it affects people, and how it doesn't go away by itself - there are steps you have to go through. Then it outlines the steps. I followed all the steps, in detail, and I recovered and was much happier and healthier.

Years later, I worried that it hadn't gone away completely, because although the main symptoms had gone, there were still some specific difficulties I had that wouldn't go away, regarding how my brain responded to things. So I went for some more therapy, but it turned out these particular things weren't related to the PTSD - they were part of being on the autism spectrun, which is just how my brain naturally is and won't change, so they couldn't get fixed. So for those things, I had to form compensation strategies. So I have found that for some things, like PTSD, you can do things to recover from them and they go away, but for other things, like autism, you have to be strategic and find ways to work around them. Constantly having to use strategies can get very tiring though, so I get very tired and need lots of sleep.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    I tried DBT, in a group, and I found it incredibly difficult. I find it difficult to be among groups of people anyway due to also being on the autistic spectrum(go figure, having bpd and that, you wouldnt have thought it possible), and I found a lot of it seemed so basic. I got frustrated and quit on that. I tried CBT for a while recently, but was not at ease with the therapist, and asking someone who has issues with autistic traits to deal with recognising emotions, well. I found myself just missing appointments and wanting to escape. I think partly, because I found therapy, and the whole psychiatric process, left me more aware of myself as being this damaged, flawed and failed human being. I wanted to be normal and I hated being reminded that I am not 'normal', whatever that might be.

I spent almost a year totally isolated from society, because I decided that with the borderline diagnosis, that was the only way I could ever find any peace. I often despise my emotions, and wish to God I had none at all. They used to serve me well in terms of my writing, photography and creativity, but at the same time, they are so intense that things that others might just be able to allow to wash over them, leave me so crippled by emotional hurt that I end up sedating myself by various means or just resorting to comfort eating, or abusing myself. There is no balance, for me, between being too attached to people and too detached, thus friendships have eluded me for the most part, though there are some people online and a few in real life(at a distance) who have seen something in me worth sticking around for (god knows what!)

In my own city, I have no-one. I know no-one really. I had a boyfriend, but had to step away from that recently because it was not working and my issues were becoming worse. I had a nutritionist who took me under her wing, but due to hitting her own issues, she went from daily contact, and regular meetings, to little to no contact, thus I have spent the last few weeks in the most incredibly bad place, in a deep foggy depression, bulimia raging out of control, and full of self hatred, with no one to turn to at all. I cannot tell you how hard that is when you have no support system and the one person who had stepped in to help and to support, stepped back out again. I don't feel sorry for myself, I know I will eventually manage to pull myself back up again, I usually do once I find some spark inside, something in me that I feel is worth fighting for.

I have all the time in the world for others who are suffering and who are feeling alone, or desperate, as I have been there so often myself. I think, unless you have experienced certain things, it can be impossible to relate or empathise with those going through mental health difficulties. There is so much stigma attached to certain diagnoses, especially personality disorders, which are often just another form of PTSD. In my case, childhood sexual abuse and certain family issues left me with zero sense of self worth, and therefore the expectation that anyone who came to know me, would walk away.

I have battled through severe anorexia, and almost died from it 4 times. I spent endless periods in hospitals from the age of 14, from overdosing in an attempt to escape my own mind and my home situation. I experienced being sectioned for a month and kept in my room 24/7, and not treated very well by the staff involved(I was once stitched up with nothing to numb the pain, as punishment). I have lost many people who failed to see the good parts of me, because at the time, I was consumed in the bad.

So yeah, I have such empathy and sympathy for others who are in this same place.
    I hope one day to find some way out of how I am, as it is like being in prison. You are always on the outside, looking into a world you cannot be a part of. Watching people interract and have fun, and become friends, but having no idea how to get there yourself.
    About to give treatment another try, as I am now 37 and life is slipping me by, and I feel I am not living it at all.
    I have lost so many years to these diagnoses, and often wonder if there is actually anything left of 'me' underneath the labels, or if the labels are all anyone is every going to see.

So, that is my sharing. Something I have grown to dislike doing because often, sharing so openly leads people to either run a mile, or to use your vulnerabilities against you.

I hope everyone in this thread, finds some sort of peace, and can reach a point where their issues are no longer preventing them from living a productive and contented life. I think everyone deserves to experience love and joy in their lives, regardless of their diagnoses.

I know how you feel, I work in the field as a biller, and everyday I come in contact with those of you with these issues, I don't do anything but try my best to treat you with the same respect I expect from others, I have always kept a smile on my face and have been told that I "make their day"...I too have issues with anxiety, but I have pulled myself up with the help of meds and am now productive...It does a lot for your self esteem...find something you enjoy, and maybe good at, and pursue that...give it your all...it will help you in the long run....this is also a help when you feel all alone...I have been divorced now for 30 years and had to raise my kids alone...nobody wanted a "ready made family"...the only male friends that came along...turned out to be married, that really sucks...LOL....so that was another form of abuse that came my way....I found hobbies to keep me busy, and then sold my creations....made a little exra cash that way....not only did that help take care of my family, but I was proud of what I had done...

Please find something, and pursue it...we will all support you..
  • I've had major depression since I was about 12 and now I am 21. Last year my 13 year old cousin committed suicide during my university exams and my flat (full of my friends) was falling apart. I really fell off the wagon and had to get serious mental health support (both medical and also counselling). I didn't eat, I didn't get out of bed, I didn't talk to anyone for weeks. It is a very big blur. I have gone through 4 different antidepressant medications and and finally found one that is working for me. Even though it has taken a lot of determination, lifestyle changes, and time, I have never felt better or more like myself ever. I am happy, calm, friendly, confident, and silly. I think and say positive things all the time. This is a major improvement compared to 6 months ago even. I don't think mental illness should be a taboo subject. I talk about it all the time and I don't even care if it makes people uncomfortable because it's important to break down those barriers. I try to do my best to be supportive and understanding for those I know who are going through mental illness problems like depression and anxiety where I can provide support. Mental illnesses are difficult. I still get sad, but these days I can easily pull through it and it feels normal. Whereas before I was not able to get myself out of it. Thanks for your post. :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member

DBT is supposed to be more effective for people on the autism spectrum than CBT (according to recent research, anyway - i like to read all the recent research on ASDs, as I'm on the autism spectrum myself, so I am always looking for more strategies for myself). You don't have to do it in a group though - you can get a workbook to work through by yourself or with a therapist. I bought a workbook and it seems quite good.
  • Craigberrow
    Craigberrow Posts: 42 Member
    Does diet and exercise help you wellbeing. I trying to help someone I know, the frustrating thing is I think come on just do it, snap out of it - only if it were that easy. Any ideas diet wise or exercise ideas please message me or quote me. Thanks all your advise is very much appreciated :)
  • Does diet and exercise help you wellbeing. I trying to help someone I know, the frustrating thing is I think come on just do it, snap out of it - only if it were that easy. Any ideas diet wise or exercise ideas please message me or quote me. Thanks all your advise is very much appreciated :)

Stealth exercise is good. I used it on a friend of mine. We'd go for a coffee and then I'd suggest going for lunch at this great little place I'd been to recently that was only a 'short' walk away. 'Short' being about a mile. Also, you could cook for your friend every now and then. Company and good food can make a difference.

But there's a caveat to all of this. You have to be really careful, because it's easy to push someone too hard or get upset if they cancel on you at the last minute, which is something I used to do when my depression was at its worst. I've also had it done to me. The best thing of all is always to ask what you can do to help. Sometimes it can be as simple as going to a doctor's appointment with someone so they can get professional help.

S.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Does diet and exercise help you wellbeing. I trying to help someone I know, the frustrating thing is I think come on just do it, snap out of it - only if it were that easy. Any ideas diet wise or exercise ideas please message me or quote me. Thanks all your advise is very much appreciated :)
    You or they have to want to do it.

I dealt with depression. I personally believe no one recovers from it, you just learn how to live with it. That being said, once I got in working out, etc. I stopped taking all my meds and I haven't looked back.
  • I just want to give everyone here a massive shout out for being brave enough to post here. Thank you, sincerely.

I've had depression for about 20 years now. It came along with ME/CFS back in the day and didn't leave when that did. I'm still on medication and that's fine - it smooths things out and helps me to avoid the worst of the lows.

I've been on the way to the river, strapped into a rucksack full of weights, and stopped. I've been in the bath with a naked razor blade. But I didn't do it either time, and I'm indescribably glad of that. Now, down the line, life is pretty good and I'm starting to get my body under control again after years of leaning on food as an emotional crutch.

Anyone who wants to add me as a friend, feel free. Depression and mental illness are such personal things that no one can know exactly how you're feeling or what the best course of action is in any given situation. But I'm happy to provide what support I can.

Cheers,

Steven
  • I have in fact been diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety. I also have moments where i am disassociative and self harm. I have struggled with this for about a year and a half now. I have never taken any medication because i would rather sort out my issues and not cover them with pills and such. Im kind of in recovery because i do have a case worker/psychologist that i see every few weeks but it really doesnt help me as much as i thought it would. Im on a journey of finding myself and will work out my issues along the way. I would like someone to talk to about it i just dont really have anybody. My current coping mechanism is self harm, nothing else i have tried works.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    wow, some people have so much to deal with, nothing but admiration for them. i suffered from anorexia for a long time, but mfp has been a real support for me to get to a now healthy weight.

mental illness is just as serious as physical illness, sometimes i think it can be even worse, so the fact that people are so open and mostly understanding on this site is something you cant put a price on!

:)
  • hey i sent u a message my ramble far too long for here lol
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Great you are open to talking about it-- I sent you an add/message with more details but as many others, I have had my share of battles with depression. (if I am too old I understand :) No worries.

Exercise is great to take the edge off as a supplement. I also found creative outlets HUGE - for me in particular playing guitar, listening to music, writing, journaling -- taking inspiration from great books... really was the difference some days where I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

Good luck on your journey.
  • It's only taboo if we don't talk about. Secrets buried alive stay alive!
  • The way that most people live is subconsciously dominated by the need to be connected. Brené Brown Ph.D[ii], gave a Ted/X presentation (Brown citation for video/transcript?) on the gifts of imperfection and the necessity for vulnerability in human connection. It seems that her research clearly gives cause for what Brené calls, “the most in-debt, obese, addicted and medicated adult cohort in U.S. history.” The cause (well exasperating factor) for this is the subconscious need to “numb” the emotions of vulnerability and shame. We live in a vulnerable world. And one of the ways we deal with it is we numb the discomfort and pain of these emotions. People can’t selectively numb emotions; when we numb shame or vulnerability, we numb joy, we numb gratitude, and we numb happiness.

"I ran into this unnamed thing that absolutely unraveled connection in a way that I didn't understand or had never seen. And so I pulled back out of the research and thought, I need to figure out what this is. And it turned out to be shame. And shame is really easily understood as the fear of disconnection. Is there something about me that, if other people know it or see it, that I won't be worthy of connection. The things I can tell you about it: it's universal; we all have it. The only people who don't experience shame have no capacity for human empathy or connection. No one wants to talk about it, and the less you talk about it the more you have it. What underpinned this shame, this "I'm not good enough," -- which we all know that feeling: "I'm not blank enough. I'm not thin enough, rich enough, beautiful enough, smart enough, promoted enough." The thing that underpinned this was excruciating vulnerability, this idea of, in order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen, really seen." brene brown

Alternate definitions of terms (and their meaningful relationships with one another) culled from the lecture “the power of vulnerability”

Blame: A way to discharge pain and discomfort.

Courage: (Latin root “cour” or heart) to tell the story of who you are with you whole heart.

Connection: relationship resulting from having the courage to be who you really are (i.e. authenticity.

Creativity: our chance to uniquely contribute to the world of meaning and beuty through. Art, cooking, painting, dance, and on and on, it doesn’t really matter, what matters is creating.

Fear and Joy: “The dark does not destroy the light: it defines it. It’s out fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows.”

Love: cultivated between two people who allow their most vulnerable and powerful selves to be deeply seen and known. Trust, respect, kindness, and affection are key, while shame, blame, disrespect, betrayal, and withholding affections damage love. One can only love another person as much as they love themselves.

Singing, dancing, and laughing: create spiritual and emotional connection; they remind us of the one thing that truly matters: we are not alone.

Perfection and imperfection: need to validate ones worthiness by “being perfect”, instead of having the courage to be imperfect, the compassion to be kind to themselves as well as others. And last the connection as a result of authenticity. Let go of who you think you are supposed to be in order to be who you really are.

Play and work: play is akin to sleep in its ability to restore our enthusiasm, passion, and deal with obstacles. The opposite of play is not work, it is depression.

Shame: the fear of disconnection from the people in our lives. “I’m not worthy.”

Vulnerability and numbing: Vulnerability is the willingness to give without promise of anything in return. It is an essential component for Joy, creativity, belonging, love and connection; also it is the center of our beauty or uniqueness as a person. When we struggle with our vulnerability we numb ourselves; we eat, some drink or do drugs, shop, whatever it takes. Numbing is more than just addiction’s, it’s also making everything that is uncertain certain. Fear + vulnerability become blame, judgment, as a way to discharge the pain and discomfort.

(from my blog and a paper i wrote last year for English 101)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LordByproduct?month=201210
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    The way that most people live is subconsciously dominated by the need to be connected. Brené Brown Ph.D[ii], gave a Ted/X presentation (Brown citation for video/transcript?) on the gifts of imperfection and the necessity for vulnerability in human connection. It seems that her research clearly gives cause for what Brené calls, “the most in-debt, obese, addicted and medicated adult cohort in U.S. history.” The cause (well exasperating factor) for this is the subconscious need to “numb” the emotions of vulnerability and shame. We live in a vulnerable world. And one of the ways we deal with it is we numb the discomfort and pain of these emotions. People can’t selectively numb emotions; when we numb shame or vulnerability, we numb joy, we numb gratitude, and we numb happiness.

"I ran into this unnamed thing that absolutely unraveled connection in a way that I didn't understand or had never seen. And so I pulled back out of the research and thought, I need to figure out what this is. And it turned out to be shame. And shame is really easily understood as the fear of disconnection. Is there something about me that, if other people know it or see it, that I won't be worthy of connection. The things I can tell you about it: it's universal; we all have it. The only people who don't experience shame have no capacity for human empathy or connection. No one wants to talk about it, and the less you talk about it the more you have it. What underpinned this shame, this "I'm not good enough," -- which we all know that feeling: "I'm not blank enough. I'm not thin enough, rich enough, beautiful enough, smart enough, promoted enough." The thing that underpinned this was excruciating vulnerability, this idea of, in order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen, really seen." brene brown

Alternate definitions of terms (and their meaningful relationships with one another) culled from the lecture “the power of vulnerability”

Courage: (Latin root “cour” or heart) to tell the story of who you are with you whole heart.

Connection: relationship resulting from having the courage to be who you really are (i.e. authenticity.

Creativity: our chance to uniquely contribute to the world of meaning and beuty through. Art, cooking, painting, dance, and on and on, it doesn’t really matter, what matters is creating.

Fear and Joy: “The dark does not destroy the light: it defines it. It’s out fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows.”

Love: cultivated between two people who allow their most vulnerable and powerful selves to be deeply seen and known. Trust, respect, kindness, and affection are key, while shame, blame, disrespect, betrayal, and withholding affections damage love. One can only love another person as much as they love themselves.

Singing, dancing, and laughing: create spiritual and emotional connection; they remind us of the one thing that truly matters: we are not alone.

Perfection and imperfection: need to validate ones worthiness by “being perfect”, instead of having the courage to be imperfect, the compassion to be kind to themselves as well as others. And last the connection as a result of authenticity. Let go of who you think you are supposed to be in order to be who you really are.

Play and work: play is akin to sleep in its ability to restore our enthusiasm, passion, and deal with obstacles. The opposite of play is not work, it is depression.

Shame: the fear of disconnection from the people in our lives. “I’m not worthy.”

Vulnerability and numbing: Vulnerability is the willingness to give without promise of anything in return. It is an essential component for Joy, creativity, belonging, love and connection; also it is the center of our beauty or uniqueness as a person. When we struggle with our vulnerability we numb ourselves; we eat, some drink or do drugs, shop, whatever it takes. Numbing is more than just addiction’s, it’s also making everything that is uncertain certain. Fear + vulnerability become blame, judgment, as a way to discharge the pain and discomfort.

I think you just won. Quoting for truth.
    About the shirt, that's one that should be made. My mom had breast cancer and I believe that all boobies are sacred and should be protected.
  • The way that most people live is subconsciously dominated by the need to be connected. Brené Brown Ph.D[ii], gave a Ted/X presentation (Brown citation for video/transcript?) on the gifts of imperfection and the necessity for vulnerability in human connection. It seems that her research clearly gives cause for what Brené calls, “the most in-debt, obese, addicted and medicated adult cohort in U.S. history.” The cause (well exasperating factor) for this is the subconscious need to “numb” the emotions of vulnerability and shame. We live in a vulnerable world. And one of the ways we deal with it is we numb the discomfort and pain of these emotions. People can’t selectively numb emotions; when we numb shame or vulnerability, we numb joy, we numb gratitude, and we numb happiness.

I think you just won. Quoting for truth.
    About the shirt, that's one that should be made. My mom had breast cancer and I believe that all boobies are sacred and should be protected.

Thanks
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    The way that most people live is subconsciously dominated by the need to be connected. Brené Brown Ph.D[ii], gave a Ted/X presentation (Brown citation for video/transcript?) on the gifts of imperfection and the necessity for vulnerability in human connection. It seems that her research clearly gives cause for what Brené calls, “the most in-debt, obese, addicted and medicated adult cohort in U.S. history.” The cause (well exasperating factor) for this is the subconscious need to “numb” the emotions of vulnerability and shame. We live in a vulnerable world. And one of the ways we deal with it is we numb the discomfort and pain of these emotions. People can’t selectively numb emotions; when we numb shame or vulnerability, we numb joy, we numb gratitude, and we numb happiness.

Thanks for sharing this, interesting and something to think about.
  • I had a family member who was committed 2-3 times in the past 5 months, she lost it, wrote all over her house-crazy stuff, talked to people who werent there, wasnt sleeping, acting like the exorsist and destroyed her life, she just got on meds about 1 month ago, claims she was diagnosed with bipolar, but I believe she is a paranoid scitzo. I havent talked to her since she has been out this time, and i am almost afraid to because of what shes done. have you ever heard of bipolar doing stuff like that?

I have been diagnosed as bipolar as well...I was admitted to the hospital at one point because of how hysterical I was....While in there I learned a lot about the disease, and delusions such as those that you described, are quite possible....that is just one of many symptoms that are part of it. The best thing to do is not to avoid her like the plague, even though I understand how you were traumatized, but she is still a person with feelings...It seems she just needed to be diagnosed correctly. ... With the right diagnosis and medication, there is possibility of a complete personality turnaround in a good way. :smile:
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    I enjoyed reading everyones posts. It makes me feel less alone. I'm allegedly a Bipolar 1 more on the depressive mixed moods side. I've been like this since I was 14, I'm 41 now. Misdiagnosed with major depression until I was 36, so all the 25+ medications the dr gave me didn't do a thing and sometimes made me worse as a lot of bipolars don't do well with anti-depressants. I started lithium and that made me gain weight and though I'm on a different med I'm still holding onto the weight.
    There is a taboo with mental illness still. Some people might say "oh good for you in being so open about yiur illness!". Truth is I've heard more people say bad than good. It's always funny to hear about the supposed bipolar who chopped up the neighbours dog or tried to stab her husband. And what the people really think about the mentally ill as I'm sitting right beside them, in hiding. Oh well. I've always found plenty of folks who have their assorted illnesses to chat with and that always makes me feel better.
    The main thing that has helped me through this long way is having a sense of humor, even if it's dark at times. I love the movie "What about Bob" , and actually follow the baby steps method when everything is swirling around like a tornado around me.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    I don't really understand the "getting better" and/or relapsing people are talking about. Mental illnesses are typically for life, right? I mean that's how I view mine. It's something I will always have to deal with and be aware of, and in knowing that, I'm more able to watch out for warning signs or triggers that might send me into a down spiral. I only have depression, but I do think I have a bit of anxiety at times... I used to get really anxious around big groups of people and avoided them at all costs.

I'm on medicine now though and have been for about 2 years, which is working well for me - knock on wood! hehe. I was on several different kinds of medicines before the one I'm on now, and I'd given up on psychiatric medicine for a long time. I spent over half my life in and out of mental health specialists' offices, and a short time in an in-patient facility. I used to cut, for a long time, which started when I was twelve. I think that was my way of coping with things I'd blacked out and repressed from my childhood coming back through night terrors.

I think understanding your mental affliction is the biggest and most important part of dealing with it. Knowing your own mind as best you can and cooperating with GOOD doctors that know what they're doing to give you the right treatment is so important... I got lucky with the medicine I'm taking now. It was prescribed to me by my family doctor as a quit smoking aid, but actually ended up treating all my symptoms of depression. It truly has changed my life in so many ways. I never thought I could feel this way again, and I will be forever thankful for it. But, I did get lucky. I had only one psychiatrist that I actually respected when I was growing up. I saw him when I was about 16-17 years old. He actually took the time to look through all his giant medical books and show me the medicines he was putting me on, showed me all their side-effects and the possible interactions they would have with other medicines. He explained to me why he chose this pill over the other, and although I didn't get "better" from the medicines he prescribed me, the counseling he gave me was invaluable. I really respected him, and he gave me hope. :)

I really hope you can find what you need in a doctor and that things are looking up for you soon. Add me if you want! I try to be a positive motivator when I can! :)
  • loner_nell
    loner_nell Posts: 17 Member
    I suffer from severe Social Anxiety Disorder, along with Major Clinical Depression.
    Later it was decided Social Anxiety was connected to Asperger's, which is not a mental illness so doesn't matter for this post.
    Some days aren't as bad as others, but I wouldn't say I'm in recovery or anything, it's easy to relapse to feelings of depression, worthlessness, the like.
    I tolerate being in places with lots of people better than I did 2 years ago(I'd rather not at all), but that's not cured, I still don't want to talk to anyone there, watch the ground, or kinda stare off in front of me. Hopefully no one will talk to me, 99% of the time they don't. One time I was walking through grocery store, some lady touched me and told me I had a nice shirt, in my mind I was freaking out, I said thanks, went on my way.
    I've been on most of my medications for upwards of 12 years, since I don't get worse I figure they work. I've been worse than I am now.
    Some of my family thinks I "Thought myself into depression, so I should think myself out of it" my father thinks "You weren't depressed when you were 6! Therefore it is made up by doctors and your mother."
    I have lots of unpleasant experiences with these.
    I don't do therapy, I have had so many bad experiences, when I was about 14 I had a therapist who kept telling me I was lying about something because "my eye would twitch", so I gave in and said I was, and he had a story with the details and such. They reported it, and while I don't like him, I thought this was the worst thing ever, they checked me and tested me, and ofc none of what my therapist claimed I was "lying" about was a lie.
    I had another one years later, at one of the clinics, that asked me why I was always afraid it made no sense, so I just agreed and never went back. Haven't even bothered with another since.
    I'm always frightened, even at home, it's a rental and I'm always afraid people will show up, I don't know, it's stupid but true.
    My way to be social was World of Warcraft, the European Servers, that was fun when I had my guild, and it took years to talk to anyone. Most of them have gone, and I don't want to spend another few years making WoW friends, so I'm isolated again, past my friend Anexa that invited me here and my sister, who is not on this site.
    Once, when I was about 17, I was institutionalized, it was the terrible, I just wanted to go home all the time, even though I hated school, I hated this more, they forced me into group therapy(I hate being thrown in groups of people so much), I couldn't stand it. I went home and since I never, ever will talk about Suicide, even if I do think about it. Though I haven't for a few years.
    I don't believe I'll ever be cured or recovered, I just cope.