How do you sweeten your Greek yogurt?

Options
DJ2120
DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
I know the plain Greek yogurt is supposed to be the best. But how do you sweeten it without adding calories? I know a lot of people swear by honey, but doesn't your body process honey the same way it does any other sugar? It seems like if you are going to add in extra sugar & calories from honey that you may as well just buy the flavored Greek yogurt.

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i use greek yogurt in place of sour cream...so i eat a lot of chicken with greek yogurt and peppers and put it on a low carb tortilla.

for a while i sweetened it by using protein powder.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I mix my yogurt with 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 1/2 cup fiber one (original) cereal. Sweet, crunch and filling.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't...if I would I would use a little blue agave or honey. I often just mix it in my oatmeal or put some fruit or granola on it. Or I use it instead of sour cream or cream cheese...or blend some in my smoothie :smile:
  • europe123
    Options
    I use frozen berries deforested in the microwave and also 2 tablespoons of flax seed and sometimes some granola for the extra

crunch! very filling especially if I have it for breakfast.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Splenda and blueberries or
    Flavored protein powder (with fruit or not), (with cacoa nibs or not) or
    with some sort of granola type cereal, no sweetener
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    i use greek yogurt in place of sour cream...so i eat a lot of chicken with greek yogurt and peppers and put it on a low carb tortilla.

for a while i sweetened it by using protein powder.
    This. I was pleasantly surprised how much it tastes like sour cream.
    Great sub for mayo too.
    Sweetening? Anything. Fruit, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup. It depends on the recipe.
    Greek yogurt is an excellent fairly neutral base.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    just fruit - no sweeteners
  • paigeslims
    Options
    I add 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon :) some people says its good for fat burning
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joes stevia extract
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat the dannon light and fit vanilla greek yogurt. 80 calories for 5.3 oz. ANd I add in 1 TBSP of dark chocolate chips (70 calories). It's a delicious treat and not so bad on the calorie front. I watch my sugar intake in other places. You just have to decide what works for you
  • xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Truvia/Splenda, cinnamon, protein powder, cocoa powder. (Or a combination of those)

My favorite is plain fruit, though.
  • Lisarky
    Lisarky Posts: 15
    Options
    I have several different flavors of Sucralose (Splenda) based flavored syrups. I use these frequently with my Greek yogurt. My favorite is Davinci SF Vanilla. You only need about a teaspoon to make your Greek yogurt taste like you bought it vanilla-flavored. I also really enjoy the raspberry.
  • grmshelle
    grmshelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Check out Syntrax Nectar. It is a Whey Protein Isolate powder that comes in many flavors and has no sugar, no carbs, no fat and is Lactose & Gluten free. One scoop has 24 g of protein and is 100 calories but it is a large scoop and you wouldn't need much to flavor your yogurt. Oh, and it is Aspartame free too. My favorite flavors are Fuzzy Navel, Roadside Lemonade and the Cappuccino that I use a tablespoon of for my coffee instead of sweet creamers. I got mine on Amazon. Good luck!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    honey, frozen berries, sugar free raspberry preserves, oatmeal, cinnamon, cocoa and dark choc chips
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    One packet of truvia & some cinnamon usually...I heard liquid stevia produces a better texture but I haven't bought/tried it yet. If I have some calories to spare, I'll use honey or jam which admittedly tastes far better. Sometimes I'll top it with some nuts, like pecans or almonds.

OH the best if you want to be really indulgent is caramel sauce or chocolate syrup. So good.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    http://www.ez-sweetzstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=7

They are doing a free sample thing right now. I ordered a 3 pack along with a free sample, and keep the sample in my purse.

Ez Sweetz and cinnamon. Frozen blueberries are great with the liquid sucralose (ez sweetz) as well.
  • ashleyngill
    Options
    I typically add in flax and raspberries. Sometimes I will add in wheat germ or chia if I am in the mood for it.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Fruits (whatever I happen to have at home), some chopped almonds for crunch & Chia seeds.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great options everyone :happy:
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I add berry blast protein powder and 1/4 cup of fresh frozen berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberry). I food process the fruit into small pieces and then add