How do you sweeten your Greek yogurt?

Options

Replies

• iWILLbeFit062012
    iWILLbeFit062012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder and raspberries or blackberries; chocolate protein powder or Hershey's cocoa powder and mashed banana; or my personal favorite recipe is chocolate protein powder, Hershey's cocoa powder, peanut butter, and mashed banana.....super yummy!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    no-sugar-added jams & jellies :drinker:
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I use no-calorie stevia from whole foods (vanilla flavored) and then add in some cinnamon and fresh fruit. My go-to breakfast! I also mix in some peanut flour if I need an added boost.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like the way greek yogurt taste so I actually don't sweeten it at all. Ocasionally I will throw fresh strawberries or grapes to change it up but that's it really.
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I make the absolute best breakfast with Greek yogurt on days where I know I'm going to need a lot of protein first thing (like on my long run days). I put some Greek yogurt in a bowl, add a small spoonful of peanut butter, about 1/2 cup of granola, and then add some sort of fruit (usually 1/2 of a banana). It tastes sooo good and it really really fills you up and keeps you full all morning.
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I mix chia seeds for crunch and protein powers.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I buy the flavored kind. I just can't be that obsessive with yogurt.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    no-sugar-added jams & jellies :drinker:

I second this! I use Poliner sugar free strawberry preserves, 2 tbls. and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds! So yummy!:heart: Now i am hungry...:grumble:
  • CIBBIELOUK
    Options
    I use 1 sweetner,bluberries, and an ounce of grapenuts
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Granola.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i use greek yogurt in place of sour cream...so i eat a lot of chicken with greek yogurt and peppers and put it on a low carb tortilla.

for a while i sweetened it by using protein powder.

This is exactly what I do! Plain No Fat Greek Yogurt is my sour cream and for parfaits I drizzle half a tablespoon of honey and then fresh fruit and granola!

It just takes getting used to, if not, opt for Vanilla or any other flavour
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    canned pumpkin and cinnamon
    fresh raspberries or blueberries
    homemade granola
    protein powder-flavor of your choice but I like chocolate or vanilla
    cacao powder
    a little peanut butter
    sugar free jam
  • stinenwilkins
    Options
    unsweetend cocoa!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Honey isn't bad. One tablespoon is just enough for a single serving. The ultimate greek yogurt (for me) is fage greek yogurt, a tablespoon of honey and a few sprinkles of cinnamon. You could also add in peanut butter, but that'll drive up the calories.

I tried just doing berries and yogurt and it was too sour tasting for me. I tried adding in vanilla and still...no. Honey is the way to go.

Edit: Should also note, I can't stand the honey/vanilla flavored greek yogurt. It's just gross to me. I'd rather do it myself. To each it's own. Experiment!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I've given up trying to like it as a snack, I sub it for mayo on sandwiches, and in tuna salad ect... It's enjoyable that way.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use Crystal lite drink mix or Sugar free coffee syrups.
  • Jacium
    Jacium Posts: 6
    Options
    Take about 6 oz. plain Greek Yogurt. Add thinly sliced strawberries or blueberries. Sprinkle one packet of Splenda unformly over the yogurt, then mix and crush the fruit up to release the flavors into the yogurt.

It will not be too sweet, like it would be if you added some sugar. This method merely reduces some of the tartness. If you want the sweet type, then get it with the fruit added from the manufacturer - but realize they sweeten it with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) which, come to think of it, has a lot to do with why fitness sites like this one are flourishing.......

Good Luck,

Jacium
  • sportytalldoll
    sportytalldoll Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    eat it off my boyfriend.

hahaha...or in a sugar free waffle cone (applesauce is good this way too)
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    eat it off my boyfriend.

hahaha...or in a sugar free waffle cone (applesauce is good this way too)

excellent.
  • gnbrooks
    gnbrooks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. Honey is fine if you like it, but it is essentially just sugar (plus trace, insignificant amounts of other nutrients). Same for agave; it's fine if you like the taste, but is no better than adding sugar (maybe worse since it is high fructose if you care about that). If you want no calories, you have to use an artificial sweetener. If you are afraid of them, then just use sugar, honey or whatever. It will still be healthy. Personally, I only eat flavored yogurt (Greek or regular); it still is low in calories and I have no desire to eat things that don't taste good if I don't have to.