Lean cuisine?

Options
What are your opinions on this? Does it taste good? Is it good for you? Are there any better frozen meal options? I work from 5-9 and need quick dinner ideas. I have been doing a protein bar, but I notice it gives me gas:embarassed: :blushing: Plus I would kind of like a hot meal sometimes, but I am usually not super hungry.

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I eat these on occasions, bad part is sodium so I try to avoid not eating them on a daily basis.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.? If yes, that's a very long day. I would recommend a crock pot. It's an easy way to leave yourself some food cooking. If you don't want a ton of food, you can get a smaller one at Walmart and just put all the ingredients you want into it. There are lots of cookbooks out there with ideas so it may make your life a bit easier.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I prefer the WW Smart Ones myself. They have more food so that you at least get full and I think taste better. Also check out the Hormel Comp,eats (not in the freezer section). They're not bad and about the same calories as the WW meals. Lean Cuisine isn't bad, but I always still feel hungry after I eat them. Could just be me though, lol.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I actually eat them quite often. I make a small salad and its perfect for a light lunch. I count calories so the sodium is not a concern of mine. I checked with my Dr. she said they are fine to eat for lunch.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.? If yes, that's a very long day. I would recommend a crock pot. It's an easy way to leave yourself some food cooking. If you don't want a ton of food, you can get a smaller one at Walmart and just put all the ingredients you want into it. There are lots of cookbooks out there with ideas so it may make your life a bit easier.

Actually, its 5pm to 9pm. I can't eat at work, and I can't sleep if I eat too late. I am a waitress, so I am running around and on my feet that whole time.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If your protein bar has malititol or sugar alcohols it could be causing your GI problems.Lean Cuisine is o.k occasionally.You can work it into your menu with a fruit and vegy!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Lean cuisine/Healthy choice meals because it's difficult for me to cook from home.
    22 pounds since August :)

The only thing I would worry about is if you have a heart condition...the sodium is a little yikes.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I just started working full time again and eat them quite often now. They're easy to transport and don't take long to heat. I add a veggie, plus a fruit, small dessert type snack, cottage cheese, or yogurt and am satisfied for a few hours. The Compleats are much higher in sodium. I can only eat one of those (the steak tips and potatoes) due to the sodium.
  • maurbor
    maurbor Posts: 14
    Options
    What about having your main meal at noon? When you come home for work maybe have some cheese, melba toast & fruit.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    If sodium is not something you need to keep track of, I would recommend them along with a salad or some extra veggies mixed in. I buy frozen vegetables and mix them all in together so I feel fuller.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I take the Lean Cuisine meals and Healthy Choice meals to work fairly often. They both taste good. I didn't care for the one and only Hormel complete meal I had.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If sodium is not something you need to keep track of, I would recommend them along with a salad or some extra veggies mixed in. I buy frozen vegetables and mix them all in together so I feel fuller.

I track my sodium, but I am under 1000 almost everyday, and if I plain accordingly, i think I could fit it in.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I love them! They have a herb and garlic roasted chicken with vegetables that is only 170 cal for the whole thing! and a steak tips in a portabella sauce with broccoli for only 160 cal!
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I prefer Lean Cuisines to Weight Watcher meals. Neither will fill you up on their own but I always found the WW meals taste flat. My favorites are the turkey with apples and I think it's chicken with sweet potato whip. My favorite WW meal is the tuna noodle casserole. But I also eat Amy's frozen meals.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I bought the Weight Watchers meals on a whim when they were on sale, and I was surprised at how good they were! I like to have them on hand for days when my hubby isn't here to cook for, or the kids have other plans. Then it keeps me from eating junk.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I get Michalina meals. Almost all the ones I have tried are pretty good, and fairly satisfying, although adding a veggie or something helps. To me its the same as lean cuisine, but its only $1 at walmart! And most of them are under 350 calories, but a bit up there in sodium.
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like both the Lean Cuisine and the Weight watcher smart ones. The only ones that I didn't care for were the mac and cheese in both brands. Sodium is high but if that is not a problem for you then I would recomend either one.
  • iluvoptics
    Options
    I think they are only good for emergencies when you have nothing else to pack. TOO little protein and veg. They are mainly starch. I think the best thing is when you cook, make a whole bunch of say, chicken breasts, or burger patties, or pork chops. There are so many ways to season meat so you can make lots of variety. Then freeze the leftover in seperate resealable baggies. When it's time to eat, grab a single serving from the freezer, pair it with your carb choice and some veggies-voila! Practically instant homemade Lean Cuisine (and much healthier for you!) Examples are: crock pot full of chic breasts with a can of enchilada sauce. Or a skillet (or crock pot) of pork chops simmering in BBQ sauce. Crock pot of chili. Make a full skillet of beef taco meat. Bake a full pan of some meaty pasta casserole, freeze single servings.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Cooking really doesn't have to take long
    Omelettes and stir frys are really quick
    A really hot grill will cook a steak, chicken tenders or a pork chop in less than 5 minutes
    Chuck a tomato onion and some mushrooms on as well.
    A good microwave will bake a potato within 5 minutes too.

Real food wins every time.
    I've tried mum's frozen meals from most brands and I can't say I found one as good as real food.
    She's 93 so she has an excuse to use them sometimes, even she prefers to cook for herself as much as possible
  • sunlovers
    Options
    I don't mind eating a frozen dinner occasionally. I look at thm and try o find the ones I like that are basically decent protein and some veggies. Healthy Choice is making some decent ones and I do like Amy's and Kashi.
    I do like to add some leftover veggies that I have in the fridge to boost the size of the meal a bit and add some nutritional content.
    I just don't understand why these companies that are supposedly trying to make these meals can't find a way to control the sodium content. It would certainly up the consumption of their products for those who are needing to control their sodium.
    Anyone else wonder that too?