Options
    1z5omdw.jpg

This was one of my favorite toys as a kid :happy:

how many others tried to get it to say "f**k"
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hah, I like this thread.

I remember using the card catalog to look things up in the library, the dewey decimal system, paste, manual pencil sharpeners, playing cowboys and indians, soldier, bringing squirt guns to school ... hah.

I remember when we got our first typewriter and I was in 4th or 5th grade—no more handwritten reports! And also how amazing Windows 3.11 was ... So much better than the old school Macs we used ...

Also, I had one of the first MP3 players, before anyone knew what an MP3 player was. I remember when I first got it I told everyone about it and how nifty it was. Damn, it could hold 32 MB of songs ... that was almost a whole album if you ripped it at 128 kbps. Everyone was really amazed at the technology of it. Pretty humorous to think about it nowadays.

Oh, I also remember discussing how it was too bad they'd never be able to make an MP3 player that held more than, say, 120 MB because they wouldn't be able to make a hard drive that would be small enough to carry around ... and don't even think about solid state memory ... even ten years ago it seemed like the only way to make an MP3 player which held more than 500 MB on a solid state HD would be about three feet thick ...
  • midmomike2
    Options
    I was showing my 12yr old son my Van Halen collection on (yikes) cassette. 1rst thing was "what's this Dad?" next was can you play song number 4...sure, it's gonna be a minute or 2!
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ah... the good old days of climbing on the roof to adjust the antenna so all three of the channels would come in clearly! And don't forget the wire hanger that doubled as a radio antenna for the car...almost forgot AM radio was the bomb!!
    Rick Dees on 56WHBQ out of Memphis, TN before he became famous...

Yup, remember Disco Duck? How about **** Williams Magicland? Or Happy Hal?
  • midmomike2
    Options
    what about the video recorder?? the one that used a full sized vhs tape?? i remember my grandfather teasing me saying "jessie... if u cover ur eyes, the camera wont see u" :) lol and of course at 3 and 4 i believed him :)
    and they only weighed about 50 pounds too
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    78's, LP's & 45's all vinyl, 8 tracks & cassettes. Rabbit ears to watch black & white t.v., Drive-In movies, portable manual typewriter, still have mine. Atari, PacMan, Space Invaders, airplanes with props, OMG! I am older than dirt!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Oh yeah & reel to reel tape decks!
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    78's, LP's & 45's all vinyl, 8 tracks & cassettes. Rabbit ears to watch black & white t.v., Drive-In movies, portable manual typewriter, still have mine. Atari, PacMan, Space Invaders, airplanes with props, OMG! I am older than dirt!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Oh yeah & reel to reel tape decks!

i remember typing papers for school on a typewriter with the only autocorrect being where you could fix the word you just screwed up. If you decided later one to switch things around...you had to retype the whole dang thing over!!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ah... the good old days of climbing on the roof to adjust the antenna so all three of the channels would come in clearly! And don't forget the wire hanger that doubled as a radio antenna for the car...almost forgot AM radio was the bomb!!

I remember all of those LOL :smokin: How about Silky Sullivan's and Flanagin's?
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    the first music CD burners that came out in the mid 90's...you had to record in real time. It sucked.

the first CD MP3 player...there were no iPods or mp3 players yet. You had to make an MP3 CD
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing one of those record players where you could stack the 45s on. When one was finished it would lift up off the player and the next one would start. I thought those were cool but I was never lucky enough to have one.

I did have a yellow/black walkman in the eighties. I loved it!
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Oh and I remember watching my parents home movies on a big pull down screen with a projector!
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I remember all of those LOL :smokin: How about Silky Sullivan's and Flanagin's?

Alas, Flanigans is no more but Silky still has a place on Beale. Lafayettes, Hot Air Balloon, High Cotton, Yosemite Sam's, Solomon Alfreds, all the old great places are gone
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    How about those slide projector machines where you'd hit the button and it would go click and the picture would be projected up on the big pull down screens (you reminded me of this). Kodak made them. I'm not even sure if they still make that type of projector now that they don't make film anymore.

slide-projector.jpg

Ok. I never had one of these but boy - look at the size of this tv? I'm afraid to find out what the cost was on this thing! Ours was smaller but also in a wood console.

Old-ad.jpg