sleeping

Options
Troll
Troll Posts: 922 Member
Okay, im an insomniac. i can fall asleep but will wake up every ten or so minutes....and then stare at the wall for hours. been like this for years.

ive taken tylenol pm/off brand sleeping pills nightly. id really like to stop.

i sleep in a totally blacked out room. comfy bed. comfy temperature.

I can be nearly dead exhausted and cant fall asleep. its miserable.

what helps you sleep?

Replies

• sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I smoke a bowl.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    melatonin...

loving it lately.

i have to take it around 9pm to make me tired enough by midnight.

If i take it any later i feel groggy in the morning.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    How's your caffeine intake? Do you drink a lot of coffee, tea, caffeinated sodas, energy drinks? Do you use caffeine pills? Do you consume caffeine late in the day?

Do you smoke? Do you smoke late in the day or right before bed?

Do you take Ritalin or other ADHD stimulant drugs, or perhaps use stimulant drugs recreationally?

Do you take any other prescription drugs for which insomnia might be a side-effect?

Are you depressed?

Do you feel tired or tend to nod off earlier in the day?

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just throwing out some ideas to talk to your doctor about because you really should see a professional. For my part, high school taught me only one important thing: how to fall asleep anywhere.
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What do you eat before bedtime, and when?
    Do you turn all screens off a couple of hours before going to bed? Eg tv, pc, phone.
    Are you going to bed too early?
  • dan09554
    dan09554 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I smoke a bowl.

this......well, job wont let me.....but, oh the memories
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    I smoke a bowl.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssss.........
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Some sleepy-time teas can be really helpful. Melatonin is a great supplement. Thyme tea tastes horrible but knocks some people out like a tonne of bricks. Is it your mind buzzing that keeps you awake? Try journalling before bed, get all your thoughts out on paper, some people find it helpful.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Things that I find help me sleep are sleeping in complete darkness (cover the clock display and all light) except for the windows. Having the view helps me relax.

Also, I take melatonin if I've had a night where I didn't get much sleep the night before. I was introduced to melatonin because the vet suggested it for my dog who is high strung and can have high cortisol levels. When I saw how well it worked on her, I tried it myself and found that I tend to have a good well rested feeling in the morning when I take it. If you haven't tried it yet I would recommend you hit the vitamin store and pick it up.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    I've been prescribed Zopiclone to help me sleep, it's the only thing I've tried so far that has really worked for me.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    magnesium one hour before bed
    sleepy time tea but real concentrated so you don't have to p soon
    and a super hot bath
    some carbs, like a few crackers or cereal
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I do the exact same thing and none of the OTC meds work for me. Some actually make me very hyper. Anyway, the first time after I wake up in 10-15 minutes, I turn the TV on low volume, preferably a program with commercials and I usually fall asleep during the commercials. After a few times, I can sleep for about 4 hours. It's really frustrating, isn't it? Fortunately, I don't work. Often, I end up going to sleep about 4:00am and sleep until 8:00am or so.
  • svmicelli
    Options
    Need to watch the Tylenol. A friend of mine is having some big health issues. She admits to taking a tylenol w a glass of wine each night (for sleep) and now is in big trouble with her liver.
  • Troll
    Options
    How's your caffeine intake? Do you drink a lot of coffee, tea, caffeinated sodas, energy drinks? Do you use caffeine pills? Do you consume caffeine late in the day?
    Coffee first thing in the a.m.

Do you smoke? Do you smoke late in the day or right before bed? no smoking at all

Do you take Ritalin or other ADHD stimulant drugs, or perhaps use stimulant drugs recreationally?
    nope
    Do you take any other prescription drugs for which insomnia might be a side-effect?
    Nope
    Are you depressed?
    Very cheery

Do you feel tired or tend to nod off earlier in the day? not usually

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just throwing out some ideas to talk to your doctor about because you really should see a professional. For my part, high school taught me only one important thing: how to fall asleep anywhere.
  • Troll
    Options
    What do you eat before bedtime, and when? It varies, usually two hours before
    Do you turn all screens off a couple of hours before going to bed? Eg tv, pc, phone. Yep i do
    Are you going to bed too early? usually around 10:30-11:30
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    *kitten*.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    ^^^ totally this. :laugh:
  • MagicWhispers
    Options
    I smoke a bowl.

This.. oregon is one of the 14:)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I smoke a bowl.

This helps.

Otherwise, melatonin.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Since I've been eating a small snack of peanut butter, with either fruit or crackers, along with a glass of milk... I've been sleeping like a baby EVERY NIGHT. That's been several weeks now.