To those who had/have 100 lbs to lose

Options

Replies

• mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started in May so out of shape that I could hardly do 2 minutes on an elliptical. I always made excuses that I was too busy to add exercise to my schedule. Other people have busy schedules and make fitness a priority and if they can do it so can I. The number of physical problems I was having were starting to really concern me and the common theme was diet and exercise. I decided if I was going to be successful then exercise had to be part of my daily routine. Exercise is how I start my day. I don't get a shower unless I have done my exercise. Starting my day with showering and brushing my teeth etc. was part of my daily routine so i added the exercise to the beginning of my day, no excuses. I have artificial hips so walking was out. I am now up to level 12 on the elliptical for 30 minutes and I rotate my strength training so I am doing something every day without overworking an area. It takes 6 months to form a habit. I am almost there.
  • HerkyMom
    Options
    bump!:smile:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    the best exercise you can do is heavy weight lifting. just search the forums for weightlifting and women and there will be plenty of thread with great advice.

not only will the weight lifting melt the pounds off but when you lose the weight you will look a lot better than if you just did cardio or counted calories.
  • DixieStarr76
    Options
    I was 262 lbs when I started, two years ago. I lost down to 192 lbs just by the exercise at my former job. I used to work for USPS as a clerk, and dispatching mail was quite a workout. I quit there to move to Vegas and took an office job. Things didn't work out, and I came home to Florida, heartbroken and without a job for the first time in my life. Before I knew it, I was back to 224 lbs in the span of about four months!

Enough was enough. I decided to get back to school and did so full-time. I joined MFP half-heartedly and did nothing with it for about a month or so since school was an adjustment. I got serious almost two weeks ago and started walking every evening. I started out slowly, but I did a 5k today (which I thought was a 3k until after...lol) and outpaced everyone. I walk, now, at about 4mph and keep it up for about 30-45 minutes, depending on if I have used my elliptical. My left foot has been broken three times, and the elliptical hasn't bothered it at all. LOL...I started out able to do about two minutes at level one. Ten days later, I am up to level three for ten minutes. The first week, I lost four lbs. I plan to weigh myself again tomorrow. I'm more interested in how I feel and in getting healthy than the number on my clothing tags.

Good luck! I found that my shoes are key to how my foot handles my workouts. I have Nike Shox. I hate closed shoes (that aren't Converse), as a rule, but these I love! They are worth every penny. Get some good shoes, a good pedometer to track your distance and steps, and start with walking. Load an audio book onto an mp3 player or Ipod and just go with it. The first step is the hardest...
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and started at 47. I started walking and biking. Also have access to a fitness center at work.

I've lost the first 100 and have about 75 more to go. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.

It's all up to you, but having friends with the same goals helps.
  • JayPea56
    Options
    I bought a Wii and have Wii Fit Plus, Wii Active and Wii Active 2. I try to do some time on the Wii every day in the winter (I walk in the summer). What makes it fun to get active is that the Wii makes it a game and I look forward to playing. Like Mary Poppins said, "In ev`ry job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun and snap the job`s a game. And ev`ry task you undertake becomes a piece of cake. A lark! A spree! It`s very clear to see. A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down." Make it fun and it is much easier to do. Also, I wear Crocs when I use the Wii. I have heard all the jokes about Crocs, but the fact remains that for me, they are the best shoe I have ever worn for sore feet that get even more sore from the Wii balance board. The Crocs have enough cushioning to protect my feet and they are soft enough that they don't damage the balance board like my walking shoes will. I even walk and jog in them sometimes when my feet are especially sore.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started out at 237 two years ago and am down to 166.5. I decided that I was tired of being tired and needed to lose weight. I set a goal of around 100 pounds and started using the elliptical at the Y. The first week I lost 2 pounds. I was so exited that I started doing the elliptical 5x a week for an hour at a time. I lost around 35 pounds the first six months or so and then I would plateau for months on end and then lose a few more. When I finally joined MFP in April and have lost 21 pounds since then. I am taking a hiatus from gym workouts right now and am planning to start working out at home very soon. I just bought the book You are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren and I plan to start his program. It is all bodyweight exercises that you do about 4x a week for 20-30 minutes at a time.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Walk.

No, really. Just walk. I've lost most of my 70 pounds just doing that. I started out taking daily 30-minute walks around my college campus every morning; the sidewalks make a big loop around the campus, so it's easy.

If you live someplace that actually experiences winter, get access to a treadmill. Join a gym or buy one; you might be able to get one secondhand for relatively cheap. Or go walk around the mall. You don't have to be decked out in sweats and powerwalk like the old ladies that go to the mall *specifically* just to walk around and get a workout in; if you just look like you've got a destination in mind, no one will question you and you'll blend in with the shoppers. Walk from one big department store all the way down to the big department store at the other end, then walk a lap around the store. Rinse and repeat.

If that doesn't appeal to you, Wii Fit is really, really fun and good for when it's too cold (or too hot) to go outside and work out. The nature of the balance board also means that once you do the yoga and strength moves a few times, you can do them without the game because you know how it feels when you've got it right. I do the yoga stretches a lot for my warm up and cool down routines now.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I tried walking, but it bothered my knees and feet too much. So I swam at the Y once in a while and did the low-impact version of Turbo Jam (she has two separate instructors you can follow - they do the modified version).

Once I was under 330, I started doing Wii Fit (the games that got my heart rate up) and started walking again. It's much easier now that I'm 40 pounds lighter. I also had an athletic store fit me with the proper shoes.

Mostly, just do whatever gets your heart rate up and doesn't put a lot of wear and tear on your joints. And remember, it's 80% diet. You can get away with walking at a reasonable pace 30 minutes every day if you're consistently within your calorie goal. I didn't exercise AT ALL this summer because it was 103 and humid for days on end, and I still lost 22 pounds in 2-3 months.
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've lost 124 here on MFP and 147 total in just over a year. I did 3/4 of that without any organized exercise. I tried to walk more, but I have bad knees from some previous injuries. Now, I do low impact cardio (stationary bike) and weights/abs, alternating days. My advice, start slow. Yes, exercise is very important, but you don't want to overdo it too soon. Add a little as you lose. Anyone who says you can't lose weight without exercise if full of it. I love nearly 100lbs without doing any exercise other than daily activities. But exercise is important, I'm not saying it isn't. Just start slow.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am 48 yrs old andI have lost over 90 pounds through eating healthy and using our recumbent bike. This has been my only formal exercise. I started out doing less than 5 minutes a night on level 0 biking to music. I gradually worked up my intensity and time. Here I am, less than 11 months later..now biking over 50 minutes a night on levels 4,5,and 6. Our bike has over 3000 miles on it and I've biked 85% of those miles or about 2500 miles. I shake my head in disbelief every night Always good to check with your doc and ask if you should be concerned, but if you work at stuff gradually, you will know what a comfortable level of exertion is. Common sense in all things is always a good rule. All the very best..congratulations on making a great decision to work your way to a healthier you!
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oops, forgot to mention that for about 10 minutes of my ride I do whatever arm movement I can and do some simple strength work with 3 lb hand weights.
  • devaulr
    devaulr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh 350 and just started today pretty much. I did the first day of couch to 5k and I was surprisingly able to handle it well without major huffing and puffing. My wife who is half my size couldn't keep up with me. My feet are killing me though so I don't know if i will be able to continue with it. I might have to limit myself to walking for a while.

I can't do the elliptical. I need a knee to lock in order hold up my weight and the constant movement without locking just hurts my legs too much. Perhaps I need to work on my legs on the strength training first.

I can do the stationary bikes that have wider seats, but my butt is hurting by the end.

A big challenge for me is going to be eating better. I do not like most vegetables. I cannot eat a salad and I don't understand how anyone can.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Exercise - Where did you start?

[...] Where did you start, what kept you motivated to keep up with the exercise?
    What got you to push through and not give up until you decided that you loved to exercise?
    Or did you lose first then add exercise?

I'm down 104lbs so far, in about 2.5 years. My wife (then fiance) and I were both obese, and she started to lose weight for our wedding, so I followed along.

I started with the elliptical, first five minutes, then ten, then eventually an hour. I added some weights here and there, building on what I had before in a helter-skellter way. I still haven't done any serious weight training.

My motivation has been almost random. I haven't had any major relapses or regressions, which is pure luck. My dietary habits keep getting better, and I look at what I was doing even six months ago with disdain. I wish I knew two years ago what I know now.

I still don't love exercise; it's like going to work - you do the job that's in front of you. Sometimes you have good days, and sometimes you have bad, but at the end of the day, it's just you in the mirror brushing your teeth - do you like what you see?

If you would have told me, two and a half years ago, that I would now be almost finishing P90x (20 days to go), and starting triathlon training as my next goal, I wouldn't have believed you. Commit to it, accept that there will be setbacks, and do what you can.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I guess this resonates with me because you are the same age as my boyfriend (who was significantly overweight) when he passed away. If you are significantly overweight and out of shape, go to your doctor first to make sure that you can exercise safely.

Personally, I do mostly shallow water aerobics although I prefer deep water but I have scheduling issues until next year. I also do a little bit of walking but not much because of knee problems.
  • Taimarra
    Options
    I think I might be the odd one out, here ... but I jumped in feet first. I just re-started back in August (August 5) and at the end of August I was on vacation (if one can consider 6 days camping in the middle of nowhere with no toilets or showers "vacation" -- I mean I do, but not everyone would) so it was kind of just "meh" for that first month. I didn't really kick in to gear until the first week in September.

I started by downloading some on demand exercise videos. There was a 20 minute kickboxing one, and a yoga one, a belly dancing one, a dance aerobics one, etc. I could barely finish them at first, but as I kept it up, I was able to do 2 and 3 of them per day.

After a month and a half, my endurance has seriously skyrocketed. Now, between 3-6 days a week I do one or more of the following:

A 45 minute dance aerobics DVD
    A 60 minute kickboxing video
    45-60 minutes on the treadmill, between 2.8mph-3.5mph at a 2-7 incline
    30 minutes on a stationary bike
    30-60 minutes on a heavy bag
    60 minutes water aerobics
    30 minutes doing laps in the pool
    30-60 minutes of strength training

I also have some youtube 10 minute videos that I do 2-3 of before work M-F every day that are either arm/leg strength training, core workout, dance workout, etc. I never log/count those, though.

Next week I'll also be rotating in Zumba (eep) .. I have always loved exercise. I especially love DOMS -- it makes me feel alive. The gym has been my best friend this time around. I'd missed weight training something terrible, and it is super handy to be able to work my muscles to exhaustion a few times a week.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Walking worked really well for me for 120 pounds. Lots and lots of walking. Lots.

I've just recently started some Jillian Michaels dvds and they are good but hard. I don't think I could have done them at my highest weight, or even 50 pounds ago. And that would have really discouraged me.

So my suggestion is just start walking and keep doing that until you feel you're ready for more.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm disabled, severe back problems, so I haven't exercised at all.
    I'm eating a raw vegan diet, and it;s easy to lose weight without exercising...

i started out at 410 pounds, and I went cooked food vegan and lost 15 pounds before I went raw vegan at the end of March 2012.
    I've lost 85 pounds this year total... I was nearly dead, and now I feel so much better...
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Exercise - Where did you start?

I would appreciate it if those who have lost or are in the middle of their journey would share what they started with.

I am an out of shape, 47 year old female. I don't want to die in the process of trying to get healthy. Where did you start, what kept you motivated to keep up with the exercise? What got you to push through and not give up until you decided that you loved to exercise? Or did you lose first then add exercise?

Thanks

I did no exercise until I had lost over 100 pounds. I knew me well enough to know that I needed/need accountability, so, I found a wonderful trainer who gets paid to kick my butt into shape 3 times a week! I started with a lot of elliptical though...now, I'm actually jogging-YES, JOGGING-on a treadmill. I still have about 60/70 pounds to go, but, the exercise does more than motivate the body, it also motivates your mind.

I say, know what you can commit to, and GO FOR IT! Push yourself and revel in the results! Congrats on your journey thus far! :)
  • cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started with zumba dvds then moved on to kickboxing dvds and Jillian Michaels dvds. I'm now doing my second round of Insanity.

I don't really like to exercise but I do it anyway because it is good for me.