Is it healthy?

Options
Hey, Sorry for asking alot, Lol, But I was just wondering Is it healthy to eat only 1200 calorie a day?
For weight loss.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking that's too low for most people
  • Tobethin608
    Tobethin608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%
  • karlyelindsay
    karlyelindsay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    depends on what your body needs I'm a little under 4 11 and my doctor told me 1000 is enough for me.
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am starting to realize how important it is to do some sort of exercise every day. That being said, you can't fuel your body on only 1200 cal a day if you are being active. If you are sitting on the couch all day and not moving, then yeah 1200 should be ok =)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Actually, even if you are sedentary, it will depend on your age, height, weight, sex. Look up BMR calculation and that will give you an idea. If you are being active and working out or have a job that keeps you on your feet, look up TDEE calculation after you calculate your BMR, and then subtract 20%---that will be how many calories you need to eat per day to lose weight.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hey, Sorry for asking alot, Lol, But I was just wondering Is it healthy to eat only 1200 calorie a day?
    For weight loss.

It depends on your RMR and your ability to sustain on a deficit. For short or small people this can be fine. For taller people with a higher RMR this would be too low usually.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

It really depends on your RMR. If you are short like I am then your RMR is really just above the 1200 limit so you really don't have much room for a calorie deficit and going up is less likely to work. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

Some people can eat at a big calorie deficit and some people can't. One way is not right or wrong. Everyone is different. Even a small calorie deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones as such, add a new workout routine, and those will make more spikes. This is a huge waiting game and requires much patience. Add in emotional eating issues and then you have more complications.
  • ClaireM8
    Options
    Other posters have put it well - the amount of calories you need depend on your size and activity level and gender. A small woman may need that many calories to maintain a healthy weight. However, if your recommended calories is a lot higher, a "starvation diet" will not help. If you eat WAY too little, your metabolism will slow down and your body will try to store fat instead of burning it!
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    MFP chose for me, according to my activity level and my goals. I thought I couldn't do 1200, but I'm learning I can. Only if I want a treat, dessert, an extra snack, I know I have to go and exercise to "afford" it. Its changing my lifestyle! I'm losing steadily, 1 or 2 lbs. a week, which really adds up as time passes.