Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred

Options
I've noticed a lot of people raving about her program and I'm wondering what exactly it entails? I've so far figured out that it's a DVD workout that you do at home but I haven't been able to find out much about the actual program itself - what exercises it does, if it's circuit / weight training or cardio, what equipment you need, if you should do it in conjunction with other exercise or if it's a full workout on its own???

If anyone can give me some info it'd be much appreciated, and apologies if I've created a new thread for a question that's already been asked - most of the other 30DS threads I found were people doing it together but not giving much info about the program itself.

Thanks!!

Replies

• LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There are three levels of difficulty. Each includes some calisthenics (push ups, ab crunches), as well as some light weight exercises. If you have a pair of light dumbbells, that's about all you need to do this. It will get your heart rate up and incorporate some toning as well.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ooh awesome, thanks Lisa.

From other threads I'd read I thought I might need step equipment and varied dumbell weights and mats and things - which is why I bought a gym membership! Didn't want to have to go buy all that stuff for home! :P
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You don't need all that for 30 day shred. If you have a place to watch the video, you are good to go. I have hardwood floors, and when I did this, I just put a thick towel on the floor. I am planning to do this again in November. It's a good workout and only takes about 20 minutes a day. Good luck with it!
  • thatjulesgirl
    Options
    Excellent! Just bought the DVD so I guess I'll just jump in feet first and see how I go. Might even splurge on one set of dumbells!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's a hard workout if you haven't worked out in ages. If you are just starting out, I'd suggest buying 3lb weights. Also, buy some 5lb weights for level 2. I've kinda steered away from the 30ds and been doing Kickboxing Fastfix. I totally recommend that. It's 20 minutes and really kinda fun. It also incorporates weights.

Also, you'll be very sore the following day. Rest a few days and get back to it. AND STRETCH! I made a big mistake not stretching my muscles out the few days after.
  • thatjulesgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Am gently easing myself into NROLFW at the moment so the weights shouldn't be a problem (surprised at how quickly my guns came back!!!) but I always forget to stretch... thanks for the reminder!!! I might have to check out the kickboxing - I recently started boxing and have been laughing my way through Bas Rutten's 2 and 3 minute rounds. Hard work and hilarious :D
  • needsenergy
    Options
    I have just stated it today, although I didn't have any dumbbells so I used 2 x 600g cans of food out of the pantry. and omg did I feel it! I have never done any exercise as such other then dancing so complete newbie start but didn't want to wait till I got some dumbbells.