Just looking for a little advice

Options
Trying not to beat a dead horse here, guess looking for other guys who have been in a similar situation/similar height and weight as me and seeking advice..

Years ago (7-8 I don’t even know without looking at pictures’ dates) I was pushing 300 lbs. The highest weight I ever saw on a scale was 275 lbs but I had already been working out for a bit. It took me less than a year to drop down to around 210 lbs. Over the years I’ve bounced around between 185-220 lbs. I did lose the majority of my weight by tracking my calories – in a journal, oh my! and just cardio. I knew very little about what I was doing, I didn’t do much research back then but came up with a general rule of my body weight * 12 to get a rough estimate of the amount of calories I should eat.

Fast forward to now, I was 218 sometime in August (I hadn’t used MFP yet) and just cleaned up my eating – I was never a soda drinker, but I enjoyed my fast food and beer. After ~50 days of being on MFP I’m clocking in right now at 197.8 lbs as of 10/19/2012. I’ve been following the caloric guidelines MFP suggests and eat most or all of my exercise calories back usually. I see a lot of conflicting information out there, and while I have been losing steadily I’m worried that I’m doing it wrong and in the long term I will not sustain this pace of weight loss.

As far as exercise goes I was working out EVERY day but around day 42 took a spill down my stairs, took two rest days (to let my tailbone and aching head to recover) and ate “poorly”. I started working out again and the first run back I had was phenomenal – as in it was really easy and I didn’t feel like I was pushing hard mentally to get through the last mile or so. So now I’m running (3.1+ miles) 3 days a week, lifting 3 days a week and resting one day a week.

So now for where I’m seeking advice:

I’ve read a lot about TDEE and BMR and have an understanding of where MFP gets its own numbers from. I like the concept of “I workout, now I can eat more”. It’s not motivation, just seems like common sense. Now, for the days I lift I don’t log anything but my 10 minute treadmill warm-up. But I find sometimes on my lift days I’m hungry. Not unbearably but enough where it’s a thought in my mind. Fortunately I do have the funds to invest in a heart rate monitor and was wondering if it’s advisable to get the HRM and track my calories burned from lifting- in order to eat them back.

Also, my TDEE seems to be around ~3000 so the -20% TDEE is around 2400 and change. That seems like soooo much food to me, but is it? Guys who are of similar height and stature, how has TDEE under maintenance eating gone for you? I know the scale isn’t the only measure of success (hurray dropping 3 belt holes and a pants size) but I will admit I care about that number somewhat, even though I only weight myself every two weeks or longer.

Eating the MFP suggestions has been working for me, so I feel like if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but on the other hand – I don’t want to stall out to later because I’m not eating enough – or I could be losing at the same rate eating more. I don’t have massive bouts of guilt if I go over MFP calories because I already recognize I’m at a 1000 daily calorie deficit according to MFP and am just nipping into that a bit.

Also this is the lifting routine I’ve been doing with a few modifications because I work out at home with a barbell set and no dumbbells or machines: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3day-beginners-workout.html I have gone from just the 45 lb bar to 85 lbs on the bench and 85 for squatting little less for overhead presses and what not so there is progress, but I feel like there should be more progress in 50 days than that? If that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks in advance for whoever responds with advice – and great work to all of you who provide inspiration to those who need it!

Replies

• switch313
    switch313 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Not a guy but as far as the calories go it works the same if 2400 is 20% less than your TDEE than that should be sufficient for you to lose. I find that lifting and body weight exercises (push-ups, sit ups, air squats etc.) don't burn many calories but they do make you hungry make sure your meal after that workout is high protein that will fill you up better and help those muscles repair.

Bumping for yous for more advice from the guys. =)
  • switch313
    Options
    I think I have been skimping on protein a bit lately, thanks for the insight kelli.

Now I wonder if eating in the 1400-1800 calorie range the last almost 2 months will cause a weight gain initially if I bump up to 2400 without gradually doing it. I guess I'll just have to use trial and error.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    your basic plan seems sound. Especially with the lifting, a day of rest between is great. It is the day of rest between that causes you to build muscle; as for resting a day between cardio, most likely that helps because you are giving yourself recovery time.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Just as an example, I'm a 5'7" 37 year old woman who works out 5 days a week with 2 rest days. I'm maintaining on 2200/day right now ... so it's entirely possible you'd lose eating 2400/day. My husband is 6'2" and burns roughly 3400 calories/day just walking 5km 4-5 times per week... if he eats 2600 he loses very nicely.

EDIT: Maybe it's just because I love eating, but I have always been of the mindset that I'd like to eat as much as I can and still lose weight at a reasonable pace. For the record, I lost 34 lbs over about 8 months eating about 2100 calories/day and running 6 days a week. No lifting. I'm now lifting and resting more and running less but not trying to lose.
  • switch313
    Options
    Just as an example, I'm a 5'7" 37 year old woman who works out 5 days a week with 2 rest days. I'm maintaining on 2200/day right now ... so it's entirely possible you'd lose eating 2400/day. My husband is 6'2" and burns roughly 3400 calories/day just walking 5km 4-5 times per week... if he eats 2600 he loses very nicely.

EDIT: Maybe it's just because I love eating, but I have always been of the mindset that I'd like to eat as much as I can and still lose weight at a reasonable pace. For the record, I lost 34 lbs over about 8 months eating about 2100 calories/day and running 6 days a week. No lifting. I'm now lifting and resting more and running less but not trying to lose.

Hmm, yeah I'll probably up my intake a bit, i'm running a bit more lately, and lift on alternating days with Wednesday being my rest day. I don't want the weight loss to be made up of lean muscle that's why I was wondering if it's too low. I'll try adding 100 calories and seeing how that goes and just track it that way. Thanks for the input, maybe I'm just so used to seeing all those low numbers floating around but the though of eating 2600 calories a day and still losing still boggles my mind haha.
  • ErickTheRedMFP
    ErickTheRedMFP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    2400 calories doesn't sound like too much. In fact that's not too far out of line with my experience when I was lifting. How much you eat should depend on what your short term goals are. You won't get stronger very fast at all if you are eating at around a 1K calorie deficit. What you are getting from the lifting is that your body will be more likely to lose fat instead of lean mass.

An alternative approach would be to concentrate on gaining strength. I maintained my weight but gained muscle and lost inches from my waist while lifting 3 days a week and eating a lot of protein (150g or more per day), which is way more than My Fitness Pal will recommend. I'm not really sure how to count calories for weightlifting in any case, as the idea isn't just to burn calories but to tell your body to build muscle. I found I was hungrier on lifting days than cardio days.

As far as the weights you mention, the weight someone would be expected to lift depends very much on the exercise. An overhead press is way harder than a bench press, and I'd expect someone to squat more than they bench. Still, it sounds like you are a beginner and if you ate enough you could make rapid progress. I wouldn't change the diet too quickly though. I pretty much followed the Starting Strength program, except I used dumbbells for some bench presses since I didn't have anyone to spot for me.