a bit confused, way under daily calorie count.

Options
2»

Replies

• needsenergy
    Options
    Nikilis: how do I open it up?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Nikilis: how do I open it up?

go to the food tab and then go to settings, should be at the bottom.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned is that when you eat can matter too. After so many hours without food, your body slows metabolism going into starvation mode. Eating a meal within 1 hour of waking up is important to kick starting your metabolism.

This is crap. Starvation mode takes a lot longer than 8 hours to kick in. There is no kick start to your metabolism. Some people prefer to eat within an hour of waking up, some people don't. There are no benefits either way except psychological ones.
  • mommypennylane
    mommypennylane Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You should eat every 3-5 hours.

Awesome job on giving up coffee!!! Caffeine actually can increase your appetite.

No matter what you figure out I hope your weight comes off. :) Good luck!!!
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is you have to eat.....for me it doesnt matter what it is,rather the quantity.I eat all day,small things usually.But it has worked well.Exercise of course.But not eating is not helping you.Being 1500 cals under sounds good.But your doing more damage than good.....One thing in life I will NOT give up is coffee....Im like you.Prob 20+ cups a day,and its staying that way!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi there - some thoughts:

I understand if you are at 20 cups a day of caffeine, it may not be an option, but I found that cutting out caffeine did wonders for me on all levels. Particularly if you have anxiety as I did/do, and it caused mood-related, reflux, fatigue and even binge-related issues for me (caffeine would make me less hungry for prolonged amounts of time, then I would become ravenous.) The first month was terribly hard as my body had become used to caffeine and processed foods, but I feel so much better now.

If on top of your calorie targets, you make your goal getting all your nutrients, you may find your calorie count goes up and you feel better as well. Also you need fuel for exercise - all of these things require calories so your body has something to run on and burn. Make sure you are getting enough protein, fiber and drinking lots of water too. Protein really helps level out my blood sugar and the effects of caffeine.

Granola(I am also amazed at how many calories it has), Avocado - those usually have a nice amount of calories.

Good luck...
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Check this out: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

My wife has celiac and just being gluten free still didn't clear all of her symptoms so she is trying this....
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    You need to increase you calorie intake to increase your energy level. I would try adding nutrient dense foods into your diet like peanut butter, nuts (I know you said you don't like them but try different kinds until you find one you like), avacados, greek yogurt, fish, try roasting your veggies in olive oil, beans, lentils, quinoa, grits, dairy products and cheese. All of these are GF and packed with protein and calcium. I have a feeling if you are not eating alot of meat you are not getting enough protein in your diet. If you increase your protein you energy levels will increase too.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Gradually replacing coffee with water should help; if you're like me coffee kills my appetite.

I was vegetarian when I started then discovered I was celiac too. I started adding meat back into my diet to meet protein macro. I can't have any grains.

Protein shakes are a good option, adding a natural nut butter or coconut oil will up the cals and provide good fats.

I'm still usually a bit lite on calories, but I'm working on it :)

Keep experimenting..you'll find a combo that works for you.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Just curious, how have you gone from 20 cups to no cups? I am struggling to give up coffee and fear that I will get caffeine withdrawal/headaches?

once you give up caffeine, you'll feel a lot better. i don't understand the notion that caffeine gives you energy. it doesn't. it's a drug... a stimulant. it affects your nervous system. you can get real energy for the day by eating nutritious food in the morning. that's the energy your body REALLY needs. caffeine gives you the illusion of energy for awhile, until you crash and need more.