1200 calories a day...

Options
Hi all,

MFP set my calory intake at 1200 a day and I don't struggle at all on that amount.

But I see a lot of negativity about the people who are on 1200 a day. I'm 5 ft 3, weigh 71kg and have a sedentary job.

Replies

• HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    you just don't want to be under 1200 a day or your won't lose
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    i was in this mindset not too long ago but as months went on it got harder but everyone is different so this may not be the case for you

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Well that's what I thought so I'm normally a bit over.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200, 5' 3", and don't have a problem, either. I am usually under my calories by 200-300 every day.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! When I first started out I struggled to even eat 1000 a day- I wasn't hungry I just didn't eat that much.

Currently I'm on 1810 I generally don't reach it I have to add high calorie things or just shrug my shoulders and get on with it. On gym days (or like today when I went for a walk) I very much doubt I'll be able to eat all of it without resorting to cake or chocolate like measures ;D
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

MFP set my calory intake at 1200 a day and I don't struggle at all on that amount.

But I see a lot of negativity about the people who are on 1200 a day. I'm 5 ft 3, weigh 71kg and have a sedentary job.

Hiya
    I am pretty much the same as you (dropped to 69.4, wooot!)...
    It took me a couple of weeks to get the hang of logging, and I also started exercising progressively week on week (instead of here and there)...

I am normally around and about 1200 (NET) and I don't freak out if I finish a little below... I have been gradually reducing portions and trying to eat stuff that fills me up so that I don't feel the need to graze throughout the day...

My weight loss has been maybe a little slower than a lb a week, but it's coming down and that's what counts (for me anyway).
    If I have an heavy exercise day I do allow myself to munch back about 140-170 back... but only if I feel like it!

Play around with the numbers and see what helps you.
    Good luck with it all...
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's a fine place to start. Make sure you don't go under 1200, and plan on changing it later on. 1200 is difficult to maintain in the long term because while you can do it (three full meals plus snacks if they're healthy) it doesn't leave room to play if you're not exercising. After I lost about 15 pounds on 1200 a day, I added exercise and upped my calories. My weight loss slowed dramatically, but I feel much better, and my body is looking better. (I'm 5'1" and started at 143; current weight 126.)
  • FitspoEm
    FitspoEm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i havnt got a problem either. I exercise most days to reach my target but its still only 100 or 200 over.

x
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am also set to 1200 and come under almost every day. I am not hungry and I am losing weight and feel great. I am 5'2". Do what works best for you and don't worry about the negativity. :flowerforyou:
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I've been at 1200 a day since I started back in March. I try not to go below 1100, but am usually between 1100 and 1200. I'm not having any difficulty losing.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The reason why people don't like this is because different people have different calorie requirements for their height/weight/size. I sometimes feel like 1200 is too little for me (esp on days that i workout) and I'm only 5'2 and about 55kg! So 1200 is most likely too little for you.

And even though it might seem like a good idea to go that low right now, esp since the weight loss will be quite speedy at first, it'll suck later on when your body gets used to that amount & stops losing, and then you're forced to go even LOWER to lose, which would just be downright torturous.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    1200 is just a set that most clam if under will cause "starvation mode" ~ I personally think it takes a lot less for a much longer time to go into starvation mode.

YOU just go by what MFP has set for you and you'll be fine.

Now, I would suggest if you are set at 1200 cal to make sure you never net under that and make sure you fuel your body when you exercise with some of your exercise calories if you find yourself hungry.