I don't crave it unless I eat it. You?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
I noticed that I don't crave junk food (or most "junk" food) unless I eat it. It seems the longer I go without it, the easier I can avoid it. I still like donuts, because I like the cake part for a nice breakfast with some juice. :drinker: I don't crave chips as much as I used to and when I eat them it nearly makes me nauseous, but I am normally addicted to them and can eat a family size bag like it is one serving to me. lol. I don't really like candy in the first place, but now it makes me sort of think "Blegh!" instead of just "No, thank you".

Replies

• kuzurichan
    Options
    I know what you mean! I used to drink coke every day - in fact, it used to be the only thing I drank. But now, after having given up coke for around 5 months, I can't even drink a 500 ml bottle - I can probably drink a very small glass, but I don't crave it at all.

Same goes for candy and junkfood. I'll eat take-out, but only if I don't have the energy to cook - I PREFER healthy food over fatty junk.

I think it's because our bodies have realized that healthy foods make us feel better, while the other junk does just the opposite. :)
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I grabbed a Twix tonight....on a whim. And ate the entire thing. After I was done, I thought to myself, "That is the most disgusting thing ever". I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any more any time soon.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I know what you mean! I used to drink coke every day - in fact, it used to be the only thing I drank. But now, after having given up coke for around 5 months, I can't even drink a 500 ml bottle - I can probably drink a very small glass, but I don't crave it at all.

Same goes for candy and junkfood. I'll eat take-out, but only if I don't have the energy to cook - I PREFER healthy food over fatty junk.

I think it's because our bodies have realized that healthy foods make us feel better, while the other junk does just the opposite. :)
    Yep, that is probably it! I eat a salad and I want to run around and play with my kids. I eat fatty, greasy, yet delicious (lol) pizza and I want to sleep. I won't lie, I still love pizza. Lol. You know, some things never change, but at least most of the not-so-good foods have become unappealing to me very quickly!
    I grabbed a Twix tonight....on a whim. And ate the entire thing. After I was done, I thought to myself, "That is the most disgusting thing ever". I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any more any time soon.

I love your profile picture! I plan to be an Ultrasound technician and congratulations to you - we just had our second baby March 15, 2012. I only gained 10-15lbs during that one. I felt the same way during my last pregnancy about a lot of junk food and now too. I will often eat food and then feel sick and want something healthy to get the taste out of my mouth, or brush my teeth instead.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. the longer I eat well the less I want junk but if I get into eating crap I can't get out of it.
  • CymruBiology
    Options
    I crave things randomly it doesn't follow any sort of pattern.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Like, I EXTREMELY love you for posting this because I've been preaching it for as long as I remember.

A lot of people feel like "oh I'll never be able to give up ___ food omg I'm so addicted". I used to be like that too. But once I just stopped eating the foods that used to RUIN me (cake, cookies, chocolate bars) I literally stopped craving them. In fact I kind of see them as a waste of calories now..

And I've found that now, as long as I'm REALLY REALLY careful & I plan well, I can manage like one really good dessert a week, after I've had a full meal, and I won't want to have a hundred more after that. Ignore the craving, weaken it as much as possible, then, if you wish, you can re-introduce it in tiny quantities back into your diet.
  • FitspoEm
    FitspoEm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    im the same! any form of junk food triggers me off to eat more and different junk food ugh.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I'm the same way. the longer I eat well the less I want junk but if I get into eating crap I can't get out of it.
    This, this and this! lol I start and then I just crave, but if I force myself out of it I will be OK unless I eat something just because one day, which makes me crave more junk.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    @ CymruBiology I sometimes crave stuff, but now it is healthier than it was :]
    Like, I EXTREMELY love you for posting this because I've been preaching it for as long as I remember.

A lot of people feel like "oh I'll never be able to give up ___ food omg I'm so addicted". I used to be like that too. But once I just stopped eating the foods that used to RUIN me (cake, cookies, chocolate bars) I literally stopped craving them. In fact I kind of see them as a waste of calories now..

And I've found that now, as long as I'm REALLY REALLY careful & I plan well, I can manage like one really good dessert a week, after I've had a full meal, and I won't want to have a hundred more after that. Ignore the craving, weaken it as much as possible, then, if you wish, you can re-introduce it in tiny quantities back into your diet.

I see them as a waste too! I just bought some Peppermint Fudge pretzels and they arent bothering me too bad thank the Lord. I let myself try them to see if I would have a bad impact from them, but I can eat them in moderation and they're delicious. Not crazy high in calories either as 2 (they're a decent size, like a peanut butter cup size) are only 44 calories for me. I just think why would I eat that when I could eat a whole meal for those calories later?

@ FitspoEm Yep! So I now think it is better to not buy most of it to start.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, especially with red meat and sugary desserts. I have given up both for Lent before and felt like a monkey was off my back. Now I'm doing it most of the time.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I don't really crave anything...well, no foods anyway. I was blessed with utter indifference when it comes to food. This has made it far easier to transition from eating whatever bull**** was easiest to acquire, to eating what will serve my body the best.
  • sunnygirl87
    sunnygirl87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I couldn't figure out why I was craving SUGAR! It's not my normal trigger. I had cookies this weekend, makes sense they set me off. I noticed long ago, if I stayed away from McD's fries, I was fine... if I had them, I craved! Anyhow, I added more and more veggies trying to feed the craving. Drank tons of water. Finally, I had some toast with almond butter and a touch of high cacao chocolate. Better!
  • cartoonfruit
    Options
    same. i'll ignore the peanut butter jar for weeks, but when i finally have some, i'll go overboard . awks .
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Same here.....the longer I go without it the less I want it.

But that's the whole thing behind junk food isn't it? Its so full of all the addictive things like salt, sugar and fat it's designed to makes us want more and more.

I also see it as a waste of calories for no nutritional benefits.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I usually find it easier to completely avoid the Doritos or fun-sized Halloween candy bars than to try to eat just one or two or limit myself to a "serving" of junk food.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I've gone from craving and not having or not wanting to have any self control, to having an aversion to junk foods / unhealthy foods. now I can have 2 pieces of chocolate, or a cup cake, or pizza and not crave it after. I think as i've eaten better/lost weight its got easier, I feel hungry and crave food less now. but most of all I want to fuel my body not eat empty calories.
  • wendye1960
    wendye1960 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've gone from craving and not having or not wanting to have any self control, to having an aversion to junk foods / unhealthy foods. now I can have 2 pieces of chocolate, or a cup cake, or pizza and not crave it after. I think as i've eaten better/lost weight its got easier, I feel hungry and crave food less now. but most of all I want to fuel my body not eat empty calories.

I'm more or less at this point now too. I did it with chocolate years ago by cutting it out of my diet for a month and it's been the same ever since with that for me. My weak point was crisps (potato chips) and biscuits (cookies). I've been having low calorie snacks like quavers and pom pom bears or cassava snacks called velvet crunch and don't miss the crisps at all now when I've had the odd few from a buffet lunch I haven't bothered after. As for the biscuits I have the occasional few - whilst on holiday I had a few 'Maria' biscuits but I've stopped those since returning even though they are only 15 calories each because I don't want to go there again. It is getting much easier I only have the odd thing every now and then now.
  • Heavyd2g
    Heavyd2g Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Very true. When I get a taste for things there's no stopping me. But I have a new philosophy, especially for chocolate cake:

If you have half a thought for something naughty,
    think twice as hard about halving it, twice as much as you'd like to eat it.
    then eat less than half of it twice as slow as you'd like to halve it again.
  • jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    Options
    Yes!! I phased chocolate out of my diet and didn't even want it after a while. For months I didn't have it at all! Then my brother came to visit and stayed with us. He would sit down to 4 kit Kat chunky bars, chocolate cupcakes, etc every night! I started wanting it so I had a snickers. Omg I wish I'd never done that. I crave chocolate almost every day now and that was a month ago! Im not having it tho because I'll go back to not wanting it again eventually. That or my husband will come home one night to find me in the middle of the living room passed, out covered in chocolate, and floating in a sea of wrappers.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yep me too. The longer I go without the easier it is. I don't eat take away (MacDonalds etc) or soft drink and I dont miss it at all. Chocolate is my biggest downfall, I can't just had a little bit, its all or nothing with me.