Seasonings for Italian Sausage?

Whimzeee
Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
If I wanted to make my own Italian Sausage from plain turkey sausage - what seasonings would you suggest I put in it?

Replies

• Here is a recipe that I found.

Italian Style Turkey Sausage:
    1 lb ground turkey (you can also use pork)
    2 tsp fennel seed
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    pinch of red pepper flakes (or to taste)

Mix all together and refrigerate at least overnight.
  • Whimzeee
    Thanks Whitewter - I'll give it a try!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Fennel. A lot of fennel. :laugh:
  • KD5NTL
    KD5NTL Posts: 9
    is that whole fennel or ground ? and what are the nutrition values?
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    It has to be fennel seed. I wouldn't grind it to a powdery stage, but use them either whole or cracked/very coarsely crushed. I LOOOVE fennel seed!
  • KD5NTL
    that's it crack it with whole black pepper corn, at least that's what we did in culinary school I knew it was something like that. follow this link they have a lot of recipes for sausage using different kinds of meat. But what I do is break this down to 1/4 lb recipe, mix everything up and cook til done and then try that. this way you still have 3/4 of a pound to make any adjustments. and you're only out a couple of bites not a whole pound or more. start small make adjustments, try again, till you get it right the way you like it, write it down, share with your friends.
  • Whimzeee
    Fennel seed - yum! Great idea KD5NTL -
  • KD5NTL
    Okay, so I made the sausage last night and made for breakfast. It was good, but I think that there was too much fennel. So the next time that I make this I will cut the fennel in 1/2 and try again. I will also make into a small roll to make little sausage patties, instead of 2 large patties. I cooked this until it had a internal temp of 170. I also put the fennel in between 2 sheets of wax paper and took a rolling pin to it until I didn't hear any more cracking sounds just to make sure all the fennel was cracked open. my wife wasn't to sure what I was doing when all she could smell was lickerish. but other than that thanks for the idea
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    I put caraway seeds in mine (well, they're not really seeds but that's what's on the bottle)
    Anyway,, when i worked at publix and made the italian sausage, that's one of seasonings we used. Don't crush them or anything.
    Anyone familiar with publix know their sausage rocks.