FAT TO FIT, WOMEN WEIGHT LIFTING

Options
I have gone from 180ish range down to currently 152 pounds. I need about 6 more pounds till I am considered to be in the "normal" weight range for my height.

I am interested in weight lifting, however I know absolutely nothing about it. If any women out there have gone from being extremely overweight/obese to lean, toned, and fit, I would be very interested to see their progress pictures and before shots.

I am 5'3 and 3/4.. Almost 5'4. I'm very hour glass shaped but have some flab on my arms, thighs, and stomach area, that's about it.

So if you are a shorter girl who went from being overweight to lean by weight lifting, please feel free to post your pictures. Very interested to see transformations and get advice on different exercises and lifts to do with the weights.

Replies

• nikkv
    nikkv Posts: 6
    Options
    congrats on ur weightloss how did u lose your weight ?
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    To be honest simply calorie counting. I lost a large bit of weight by cutting out soda and fast food. When I started MFP I was 170 pounds and lost it all by calorie counting at 1200 cals a day. I bumped up my cals to 1300 when I was working a very active job. Weight stayed the same for almost 4 months :( 1200/1300 was too low. I try to aim for 1300-1500 calories a day. Started a low carb diet to jump start losing weight with it and have so far lost 4 pounds this week low carbing. I understand some of that was water of course. I am doing a ketosis diet. Very happy with it. Just looking to get toned and muscular (not like a male body builder though lol!)
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the new rules of weight lifting for women book. Its great for a beginner.
  • Runner50266
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 pounds and there is no way my body would be shaping the way it has been if it wasn't for strength training. I've got no sagging skin because I have muscles underneath the fat and as I lose my muscles are showing up. Sexy feminine muscles not big burly man muscles.

Pick up an Oxygen magazine at the store, go to the Y and get a free meeting with a wellness coach, read online here or at bodybuilding.com. It's all yours for the taking. Good luck!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    To be honest simply calorie counting. I lost a large bit of weight by cutting out soda and fast food. When I started MFP I was 170 pounds and lost it all by calorie counting at 1200 cals a day. I bumped up my cals to 1300 when I was working a very active job. Weight stayed the same for almost 4 months :( 1200/1300 was too low. I try to aim for 1300-1500 calories a day. Started a low carb diet to jump start losing weight with it and have so far lost 4 pounds this week low carbing. I understand some of that was water of course. I am doing a ketosis diet. Very happy with it. Just looking to get toned and muscular (not like a male body builder though lol!)

don't worry, that isn't going to happen by accident
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There is a New Rules of Lifting for Women support group on MFP, great bunch of women, very supportive. I've been doing it for 2-3 months and am thrilled with the results.
  • CraigCooke
    CraigCooke Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No woman who trains 'naturally' (i..e without drugs) will ever look like a male bodybuilder - they just don't have the testosterone flooding around their bodies.

If you train hard, you'll get toned, a little more defined and build a little muscle, but you'll never look like Arnold Shwarzennegger :-)
  • shinyshell55
    shinyshell55 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft. 1in. and I started P90X last April. It is a tough program but well worth the effort. You start out by modifying what you can't do until yet to the point where you can. I just started my third round and I have excellent results. I love this program for it's diversity.
  • Shnarffles
    Options
    My advice as always lol check out bodybuilding.com some great weight lifting plans and advice for woman and teens as well as men.
    Really moticational and gets you set in the right direction:)
    x
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My advice as always lol check out bodybuilding.com some great weight lifting plans and advice for woman and teens as well as men.
    Really moticational and gets you set in the right direction:)
    x

^ bodybuilding.com has everything you need
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the new rules of weight lifting for women book. Its great for a beginner.

Agree! I have never seen my body transform so fast until I started weight training. I am only on stage 1, but I am already able to lift up to 90lbs on some exercises. I was always a weakling before who could barely carry in the groceries!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 126lb (down from 170), and my husband and I just started weight lifting. I haven't read Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, but I hear it's fantastic. We have been following an app called iFitness, but that's just b/c my husband (who also knows nothing about weight lifting) chose it for us. We do about 30 minutes 4x/week--Monday (Arms) Tuesday (legs/abs) Thursday (back/arms) Friday (legs/abs). I also do 40-60 minutes of cardio 5x/week, but that's admittedly a bit excessive. I also eat 1700 cal/day, based on a 20% drop from my TDEE. If you're able to get past all the meathead-looking people at Bodybuilding.com, it actually has some pretty good articles to help us get started. Hope that helps!
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 180ish range down to currently 152 pounds. I need about 6 more pounds till I am considered to be in the "normal" weight range for my height.

I am interested in weight lifting, however I know absolutely nothing about it. If any women out there have gone from being extremely overweight/obese to lean, toned, and fit, I would be very interested to see their progress pictures and before shots.

I am 5'3 and 3/4.. Almost 5'4. I'm very hour glass shaped but have some flab on my arms, thighs, and stomach area, that's about it.

So if you are a shorter girl who went from being overweight to lean by weight lifting, please feel free to post your pictures. Very interested to see transformations and get advice on different exercises and lifts to do with the weights.

I'm interested in going the same route as you are, I'm 5'4", with big chest and hips, very hourglass but a bit TOO hourglass lol, I'm about 173lbs.

I have back problems and have been doing pilates to strengthen my core, and also watching my calories, I'm not very good at sticking to anything atm, but I'm going on a back rehabilitation program and after I've done that I hope to start training more efficiently and learning how to do weights properly.

Well done you with watching your calories and on the weight you've lost so far! :)

I also believe that pilates as well as weight training would be an excellent combination to try.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    BUMP
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Great responses I appreciate every one of them. Now I can't afford gym membership, as the prices here are assinine, but would a simple weight bench be okay off Craigslist? Jogging a few times a week? Would like to know how to get started and what weights/machines are worth investing used.
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've decided to start with what I can use at home, make sure I will stick to it and then think about buying some new dumbbells...I have a fitness ball, and you can do lots of different things on that, and I also have some 1kg ankle/wrist weights that I can use to start with! I also used my foot stool to do some of the moves on. Will see how it goes!

A simple bench would be the easiest thing to start with if you haven't got an alternative to use already :)
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Great responses I appreciate every one of them. Now I can't afford gym membership, as the prices here are assinine, but would a simple weight bench be okay off Craigslist? Jogging a few times a week? Would like to know how to get started and what weights/machines are worth investing used.

If you have a place to store the weights you can certainly strength train at home. I started out with 3, 5, 8 lb dumbbells at home doing 2-3 different Jillian Michaels workouts ( i hear turbo fire and Chalean Extreme are great as well). Now this didn't build a ton of muscle but it did help build strength and tone up my body. It really helped with endurance. Over time I am adding to my weights and equipment at home. I use the gym for the bigger weights because I don't have a place to store them. You can also check with some gyms and recreational centers as they have by the day prices so you can do the gym a couple times a week if you can afford it.

Brazilian Butt Lift is also a good workout. I do it for toning the butt and it also has a nice 18 minute ab workout( it is killer as well).
    If your not on instagram you should be, there are some HIGHLY motivational people on there that share their workouts, recipes, progress pics and so on.

Btw I also bought and read the New rules of Lifting for Women. It helped me get started and comfortable with the weight room and then I chose to create my own workout. But the book is really great.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 5 of a chalean extreme/turbofire hybrid. It's incredible. For weight lifting, i've always used either resistance bands or free weights (i much prefer free weights). I do ALL of my exercising at home (never seen the inside of a gym) and I've never had a trainer. It works for me.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A lot of body weight exercises can be done at home and are simple for a beginner's way into lifting weights. Pushups, squats, lunges, planks, pullups (you need a bar, and you can work your way up to them). I'd recommend a pullup bar, exercise ball, and medicine ball to start. Weights should come after you've mastered the basic movements without weights.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!