THE answers to THE questions

Options

Replies

• sweetteacher123
    Options
    Great, great answers! And these questions are so needed. So many people do not know or understand how to really lose weight and keep it off. They believe the infomercials on tv. Thank you for helping to teach people the real, and healthy, way to lose weight--and keep it off!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Bump...anyone?

Hey, katbass, I msged Viviakay, hopefully she'll have an answer for ya. I know you don't want to eat below your BMR, and I don't know the answer. Try sending a shout out to SHBoss1673, too, he knows everything.

Try these: (read thru peoples' comments,too)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr?page=1%23posts-47129
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/69708-calorie-deficit-for-dummies-a-little-long
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

HTH:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Ok, Ok, I promise to wear it on a string around my neck, but I need one thing clarified. I have read the first 4 pages of this thread, and then the last 4 pages, so the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Sorry if you are all repeating htis for the gazillionth time. But i have counted calories and successfully lost weight in the past. I have been counting calories, exercising, and drinking half my weight in water for the past 3 weeks...and the weight is not budging.
    I have read you all say "eat back your calories" and "dont eat below your BMR" (i followed your instructions and went to Tools and then calculated my BMR.
    Here is my issue. My BMR on MFP says 1570 cals. But WHY, then, would MFP set my daily caloric needs as 1200? If my body (large frame, 5'10") needs 1570 cals to lay in bed all day, then, as I understand it, eating only 1200 calories each day would quickly put me in starvation mode.
    I eat back my exercise calories and dont eat empty calories very often. I only drink water (and wine on the weekends in moderation).

MFP tells me to eat 1200 cals a day (before exercise) in order to lsoe 1 lb per week.
    This thread tells me to "NEVER eat below" 1570 (my BMR).

Who is accurate? I would gladly change my daily goal to 1570 if that will re-energize my metabolism and kick start this weight loss. Thank you, and I look forward to any responses....I need to know what to write on the paper I will string around my neck :)

1200 is sort of a diet-industry "minimum cut-off point". It sounds like you have only 18 lbs to go, which means that you're probably already at or near the "healthy" weight range. In which case, 1 lb a week may be too aggressive a goal.

I hold the belief that eating at least your BMR is important. It's frankly my one pet peeve with MFP that the generic "1200 calorie minimum" is used. Nearly everyone (not everyone) will lose weight eating their BMR, because this already makes ANY activity you do during the day (anything. . .not exercise, but brushing your teeth, washing a dish, walking around your house. . .these all burn calories above your BMR, which equals the minimum your body needs to perform metabolically.) create a deficit for you.

Long story short, I would recommend changing your goal to "lose half a pound a week" and see what happens. Alternately, you could add 100 calories a week, then 100 calories the next week until you find your weight loss sweet spot.

HTH. Let me know if it does.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Ive read those threads, too :) I have scoured these pages trying not to ask the same question that has been asked 801948 different ways :) I may be blind, but I just havent found the answer anywhere. :(

Some stats for anyone who can help:
    female
    5'9" or 5'10"...have heard both from different docs ?!? never measured myself.
    currently 168.2
    MFP calculated BMR: 1547
    MFP daily calorie goal: 1200
    I dont necessarily care if I lose 1 lb a week or 35 lbs a week...i just want to see the scale going DOWN soon
    I have a "Normal" BMI, but am at the very high end of the "Normal" range for my height.
    goal: fit into my clothes....i dont care what the scale says.
    I am doing the "Learn to Run" program on my treadmill 5 days a week (at least) and according to my HRM I am bringin anywhere from 250 to 600 calories depending on the length of the run.
    I drink at LEAST 64 oz of water every day, regularly find that I am "over" my protein goal for the day.
    I havent taken measurement, and dont plan to, but my "goal shorts" and "goal jeans" havent budged, so I know its not the "youre gaining muscle" argument,

So...my major question: Do I eat 1547 or 1200 a day to fit into these dang shorts in a reasonable amount of time?
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU Viviakay :) I replied before I saw your post :)

I have adjusted my daily intake to 1500 in my settings. At that goal, MFP tells me I will lose 1.0 lbs per week. That is a reasonable expectation for weight loss, and a reasonable number of calories for me, especially before adding back in my exercise calories.
    I have stuck to the 1200 cals for the last few weeks and havent seen any progress, so Im thinking I was at/close to starvation/making my body think I was in trouble. (not surprising since i went from about 1,000,000 cals a day before re-commiting to weight loss....ok, slight exaggeration, but...only slight! :))

Again, Ive really appreciated all of the great advice and info here, and cant wait to share my own success story :)
    THANK YOU!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    katbass,

Yeah, I agree that 1200 isn't enough for you. I have my intake set at maintenance, but I fluctuate up and down and all around it by a couple hundred cals daily. I do eat exercise cals though.

I'm 5'8" (or 5'9") 156lbs, 55 yrs old and they have my BMR set at 1700, which is exactly what my Heartrate Monitor says, too. Age makes some difference, but I'm not sure how much. 100-150 less cals I think than if I was 35. I don't use a scale, I just eyeball how I look. My last weight measurement was in September.

Good luck, Glad you got your answer.
  • ksnowras
    ksnowras Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    great information - bumping!!
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    OK, this will be long. Please read it if you are confused. Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or a doctor, just a successful loser and maintainer, who has consulted both doctors and dieticians.

Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.

Does that help? Please say it does.:flowerforyou:

Thank you so much for this!! I have been stuck for 3 weeks now and even gaining (gasp) a couple of pounds - I work out 5-6 times a week for an hour a day but have been well under the mfp suggested calorie intake - that old thing about if I eat less I will lose weight just isn't working for me - clothes still fit so much better that before except for a little tight around the arms and legs - whoop! cause of the muscle that is building !
    Can you give some suggestions about how to get more calories in? I just am not that big of an eater and I am enjoying working out so I don't want to cut back on that so I guess I have to figure something out to fuel my body........? Appreciate your information and hope you can help!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    OK, this will be long. Please read it if you are confused. Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or a doctor, just a successful loser and maintainer, who has consulted both doctors and dieticians.

Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.

Does that help? Please say it does.:flowerforyou:

Thank you so much for this!! I have been stuck for 3 weeks now and even gaining (gasp) a couple of pounds - I work out 5-6 times a week for an hour a day but have been well under the mfp suggested calorie intake - that old thing about if I eat less I will lose weight just isn't working for me - clothes still fit so much better that before except for a little tight around the arms and legs - whoop! cause of the muscle that is building !
    Can you give some suggestions about how to get more calories in? I just am not that big of an eater and I am enjoying working out so I don't want to cut back on that so I guess I have to figure something out to fuel my body........? Appreciate your information and hope you can help!!

Nuts are calorie powerhouses. A handful of nuts will give you protein, good fats and fibre. My favorite are raw almonds.

Nut butters are another good source of quick calories/energy. HTH:flowerforyou:
  • darman
    Options
    okay so I actually ate almost all of my calories yesterday and lost a pound - whoo hoo - had a double workout yesterday and had a calorie burn of 1200 so I had to eat like 2500 calories yesterday - I ate all day long it seemed but it was spread out over the day - did have to much sodium yesterday - cursed honey baked ham! I haven't ate that much in a day in quiet a while

one question - what is the most important things that need to be tracked food wise? cal's, carbs, sodium, etc?
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

one question - what is the most important things that need to be tracked food wise? cal's, carbs, sodium, etc?

Technically weight loss is calories in/calories out, so I would say calories.

But, having said that...I think they need to be quality calories for lots of reasons...nutrition, well being, the fact that your calories will go faster with junk, etc.

I say clean foods (foods with minimal processing and few ingredients) and stay in a range close to your calorie goals.

Also, something to watch for is an accurate representation of your calorie burn. Just be sure if you're logging "stationary cycling...vigorous" that it was vigorous.

HTH.
  • darman
    Options
    i do keep up with accurate calorie burn - i use and hrm and usually count about 200 cal's less that it says i burned
  • wmchick81
    Options
    Just tagging, so I can read later.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    i do keep up with accurate calorie burn - i use and hrm and usually count about 200 cal's less that it says i burned

Then you're good to go.:wink:

I was just making sure, because it's an important part of the whole eating your exercise calories back thing.:flowerforyou:
  • jenny1ca
    Options
    Ok so maybe im Im a dope but Im not getting this. My bmr says 1580 calories a day. But im using a 1200 calorie a day diet. so thats what 320 calories different. + exercise would lower that starting calorie count of 1200 by even more. So are you ment to eat the exercise calories and the difference from the bmr of the 320??
    I dont see how that would work.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure if I entirely understand the question. I'm a little fuzzy on your math, I think when you say 320 your mean 380 maybe?

But, let me clarify that your BMR is NOT your maintenance calories. BMR represents what your body needs to maintain minimal function (think bedridden, or in a coma). Maintenance calories are your BMR + your normal daily activity (not exercise).

I successfully lost my weight by eating my BMR + exercise calories (or at least most of them). If you eat your BMR, you are already at a healthy deficit.

HTH.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Bump. Hey Viviakay - do you have a HRM? If so, what kind? I'll probably go research other threads too, but I think I'm going to get one. Want a good one :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I have a Polar F11. I have also heard good things about the F6, and if I had to buy a new one, that's probably the one I'd go with. There are extra features on the F11 that I find I don't use.

I love the HRM, it shows variations and gives me goals during my workouts.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Bump - and a thank you for this - I've seen so many threads the last couple of days about this - and this explains it very nicely. Thank you!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F11. I have also heard good things about the F6, and if I had to buy a new one, that's probably the one I'd go with. There are extra features on the F11 that I find I don't use.

I love the HRM, it shows variations and gives me goals during my workouts.

I'm looking at the FT7. As opposed to the F6, you can change the batteries. Also read a review where someone had a F11 and it was shot, she replaced it with the FT7, but never reposted how she liked it. It looks like a good model - thanks for the response!