THE answers to THE questions

Options

Replies

• bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    THANKS! for all the great information here! I have been on this journey for 2-1/2 years now and have hit a huge plateau in the past few months. I was so confused, because I am diligent about writing everything down, exercising every day, etc. When I started this site to help me track, I did *not* realize that I should be eating my exercise calories, too. When I look back at a report of my nutrition, I see I have been below my goal in terms of net calories more often or not and weas on track to do it again today. (I immediately opened a fiber bar to eat and add!)

It's going to be hard to change my mindset to eat my exercise calories in addition to my "regular" calories, but I'll start working toward that and see how it goes.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    bluroses...When we don't eat our exercise calories then our bodies think that we are not getting enough calories and will hold on to the fat. I sometimes will go over my calories on purpose if I have hit a plateau. This seems to kick-start the weight lose again.
  • bluroses
    Options
    I guess I just wasn't getting the idea of "net" calories through my head. I was so careful not to go over my caloric goal most days that it seemed counterintuitive to eat MORE. I am definitely going to start eating those exercise calories and see what happens!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Yes, when you were heavier, your body felt comfortable "giving up" the excess fat. Now that you are getting closer to your healthy weight range, it is saying "Whoa, nellie, we've been in a famine for months now. Now we need to start conserving our fat reserves."

The closer to your healthy weight range, the more closely you need to stay to your recommended net calories. You are around 165, and trying to get to 135? Yep, your body is starting to worry. It's happy right where it is. Unfortunately, your metabolism will slow down if you under-consume, trying to conserve. So add some calories, be patient.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Also, please let us know if this works for you.
  • bluroses
    Options
    Well, it's been an adjustment, but I have been eating all my calories (or within 50-75 of them) the past few days since I read this. My official weigh-in day is Thursdays, so we'll see what happens next week.

Today is tough, though. I ran a 5K this morning, then walked back a mile and ran the last mile again with my friend, *then* went to cardio bootcamp. Just enetered my lunch and I *still* have a lOT of calories to eat! Then again, it's kind of a nice problem to have...
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Bump it up!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Loma
    Loma Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    **bump**
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this and re-bumping for the newer members (like meee) to see!! Really good information!!! I was surprised at some of the information, like getting to eat MORE the more I exercise, but when you think about it, it makes sense!!! If you don't drink enough water, your body gets scared it won't get any more so it begins to store it. I never thought to think the same way with food! But according to my psych class, our bodies #1 goal is always survival so it would make sense that if our bodies "think" that it's not going to be starving, it would be more willing to "let go" of the fat it's storing...

LOL...I think I'm having a break-through moment....

THANKS again!
  • Monkeymon9
    Monkeymon9 Posts: 2
    Options
    What''s the biggest change you can make? The small ones. (Random stuff)

*I no longer eat what the family is eating, I fix them their dinner and then mine. Nor do I carry the food to the table anymore..We fix our plates in the kitchen then go to the table.
    *Don't buy it at the grocery store...then its not sitting in the kitchen calling your name. I simply refused to buy sweets and junk food anymore I replaced them with fruit, veggies,cheese and yogurt. No one has missed them.
    *I began walking at least 30 minutes a day..at work or at home. It began a "just do it and get it over with" for the first few days..but now I can't wait to go and the kids and dog love it also.
    * I plan my meals the night before for the next day.
    * I keep a list of better choices for eating out at lunch from our local resturants. Often we order out on a whelm so I have my choices and I don't order what everyone else is.
    * Fish is my new treat at dinner not something smothered in melted cheese. Skinless boneless fillets..Season it up with whatever you have and I like to grill it....I was amazed at the benefits to eating fish just 2x a week.
    * I have learned to like water. Its not as bad as I thought it would be and I can tell a big difference in my skin. I also get in a little more unlogged exercise going to potty, but that gets better too. There are also some good low-carb, low-cal drinks out there now. Better than soda and sweet tea.

I have been at this for 1 week. These are the changes I have made and I can not tell you how easy it has been and how much better I feel.....after 7 days.........I wonder why I ever lived the way I was. I felt in order to "diet" I had to give up everything I loved, drah myself to exercise, be hungry and suck down gallons of water....I am never afraid to admit when I am worng. Not to mention having suport from everyone here. I am anxious to see what week #2 brings.
  • Smiley1010
    Smiley1010 Posts: 82
    Options
    bump
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The answer to question 4 made me feel a whole lot better I always knew models were just like us. (normal people)
  • cmriverside
    Options
    it's tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime............

bump.gif
  • laceynacole
    Options
    thanks! this cleared up a lot! thought i was doing myself a favor by eating fewer calories! i guess not so much! thanks!!!!!
  • renestl
    renestl Posts: 1
    Options
    Excellent information! That was very helpful and straight forward.
  • mrsmaggie2u
    Options
    how about the body purifiers, will those help?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    how about the body purifiers, will those help?

there are many posts on mfp about "purifiers"

go to community
    type in purifiers or cleanses in the "Search" box with the green button.
  • lulubenmom
    Options
    bump

Okaaaay, but.....my MBR is 1,200 and the site won't suggest below 1,200 so if I follow MFP and eat my burn calories, I'll just stay the same, right? I have found this to be true. When I make it 1,000 as my nett calories I do lose weight.

BTW I'm 38, 5'2" and very small frame, with 10 more pounds till I reach goal of 115 lb (5lb more than my pre-baby weight).

Is this okay to do the 1,000 nett or am I going to "starve"?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is not your maintenance calories. BMR is you Basal Metabolic Rate, what you need to stay alive with zero activity. (think bedridden).
    If you go to your goals and change them to "maintain my current weight" that will show you your maintenance calories. (just don't forget to change it back) Your BMR is lower than your maintenance, so eating at your BMR should cause weight loss.