Replies

• AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Bumpin up!:flowerforyou:
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    Awesome, honest post. I especially agree with the answer to the question about not being honest with how hard you are working out. That one I would like to shout from the rooftops! While it is true that just doing something (i.e. getting off the couch) is better than nothing, most people don't realize that to see REAL results, you need to push yourself a little. Being in the gym is the first step, but you need to make yourself work for it. As my trainer says, words which I now live by: "The body takes the path of least resistance, to see results, you must force it to take the path of more resistance, this is how you see results."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    :glasses:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Awesome, honest post. I especially agree with the answer to the question about not being honest with how hard you are working out. That one I would like to shout from the rooftops! While it is true that just doing something (i.e. getting off the couch) is better than nothing, most people don't realize that to see REAL results, you need to push yourself a little. Being in the gym is the first step, but you need to make yourself work for it. As my trainer says, words which I now live by: "The body takes the path of least resistance, to see results, you must force it to take the path of more resistance, this is how you see results."
    Great quote:drinker: glad you shared it :wink:

FC:heart:
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    I always need to read this at least once a week to talk my head into eating my calories! Just bumping to help someone else.:flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Bumpy bump!:flowerforyou:
  • n2dfire
    n2dfire Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. I'm not sure whether this was mentioned because I don't have time to read every page, but it bears repeating:

The reason we exercise, and then eat all of our exercise calories -- even though it seems like a "wash" :grumble: -- is in order keep our muscle. Ideally, everyone should be doing strength training as part of their exercise routine. You want to lose fat, but keep muscle. Otherwise, you'll lose muscle every time you diet for weight loss, your metabolism will decrease every time, and the scale won't tell you whether you're losing fat or muscle. If you're not exercising and you're losing weight, you're losing muscle, and you're metabolism is decreasing. :noway: You will be able to eat less and less over time, and it will become harder and harder to maintain any losses you achieve.

Exercise -- cardio and strength -- and eating one's exercise calories in order to fuel that exercise, are both extremely important. :heart:
  • abillings9
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post! I've been wondering this all week long! And I just realized that I am surely NOT eating at my BMR level. I get an extra 100 cals. Woo hoo! LOL:laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just a little BUMP in the seat to start your monday.
  • TammyWall
    Options
    Excellent info on this message board!! I need to keep this one close at hand!! Thanks everyone and good luck to you all!! :flowerforyou:
  • kerimcdonald
    Options
    I work on my feet running around for at least 9 hours a day. I work 5 days a week and my bmr just tells me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. What about my work? Doesn't that factor in? Cause I've been on 1200 calories for 2 months with exercising and eating most (within 60 cal) of my exercise calories and I'm still not losing weight, or inches. Any advice?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I work on my feet running around for at least 9 hours a day. I work 5 days a week and my bmr just tells me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. What about my work? Doesn't that factor in? Cause I've been on 1200 calories for 2 months with exercising and eating most (within 60 cal) of my exercise calories and I'm still not losing weight, or inches. Any advice?

When you set up your profile, MFP asks you for your activity level (ie: sedentary) and factors that in. Try re-setting that. It may also be that you have your goals set too aggressively (like 2 lbs a week) so try adjusting that as well.

You're not talking about your BMR, here either. . .that's under "Tools". . .your BMR is what you would burn in bed all day. . .not your daily required calories to maintain.

Hope that helps.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I said I was sedentary b/c I have a desk job...but I run 3-5 times a week. I should count that should I? And that would make me moderate?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I said I was sedentary b/c I have a desk job...but I run 3-5 times a week. I should count that should I? And that would make me moderate?

Nope, that's exercise.

Activity=non-exercise activity (like waitressing)

That's why you eat the "extra" exercise calories. So, make sure you're logging your runs and eating some, or even all of your exercise calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    String. Around the neck. (inside joke, ya'll) Hi, V!!

thBumpphotobucketKikyo1991.gif
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I just read the beginning of this thread. It answered so many questions that I have been concerned about. I could not understand how we were to eat more to make up for our exercise until I read it here. Thanks.
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    This really helped me a lot. I wasn't going to count my exercise in the log because eating more seemed wrong. Now, I understand much more and I'll continue to do that. Thank you!

(and some of your other points were hitting close to home also!)
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bumping so i can read later
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat only my allowed calories at this time because I can't workout for another four weeks. Really it hasn't been that hard because my appetite has been down.