Ideal Weight

Options
Everyone has a target that they want to reach. Either how far they can job, how fit they are, but mostly a target weight they want. I am pretty clueless about what I want my weight to be. I'm 5'8, 21 and am currently 188lbs, not sure what I should be aiming for.

How did you all decide what you wanted to reach for in terms of weight loss?

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, 151 lbs and aiming for 135 overall, but at the moment, shooting for 145.

I've been around 145 in the past and it looked okay on me, but I want to see if I can aim lower because I would rather be on the lower side of ideal, rather than the higher side.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a target that they want to reach. Either how far they can job, how fit they are, but mostly a target weight they want. I am pretty clueless about what I want my weight to be. I'm 5'8, 21 and am currently 188lbs, not sure what I should be aiming for.

How did you all decide what you wanted to reach for in terms of weight loss?

I used the goals set in a workout program I do. It depends on what your goals are but this is the healthy range for you:

Female 5’8” 127 – 160 Lbs. 145 Lbs is the mean.

Best of luck to you! -Bobbie
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It is confusing. I was on a web site entering a lot of measurements recently, and that site recommended a goal weight of 182 pounds for me. What? At 5'6.5"? That sounds like a lot!

Personally, I think I'd be happiest around 140-145. My aging joints and feet have begun to complain painfully about carrying around this much weight.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Mine is based on my personal history and what I think is sustainable. The time in my life when I was in the best shape was in college. I played raquetball 5+ times a week, was 128 and wore what was then a size 4 slim. After having my daughter, I settled in at 150 to 155 with very little effort, and think I was a size 8. I maintained that weight for years. Due to surgery, age, whatever, I slowly edged up the scale until one day I found myself over 200 pounds and in "womens" sizes. My current goal is to get back to the 150 to 155 range, and I'm about 1/2 way there.
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I originally set my goal at the top end of "normal". My weight has been a lifelong struggle; back in March losing 66 pounds seemed impossible. Now that I'm within 15 pounds of that goal, I'm know that I'm not going to stop there. I'm not sure where I'll end up; I'm not as concerned with the number on the scale as I am with how I feel and look.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Have a body fat percentage as your goal instead.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't have a clue. I have been overweight my whole life. I don't know what I would like like at smaller weights. I'm just going to keep setting small goals, around 50 pounds at a time, and see where I end up. I'm hoping my body will tell me when I reach the "magic" spot. But mostly, I just want to be fit and healthy.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options

this.

just get your body fat percentage under 33% (for females) and you will be fit.

http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

this.

15-20% FTW :)
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Weight is not the most important thing. What matters is if you look good and feel good about your body. I don't actually have a goal weight--I have a goal size. I want to fit into a size 10. When I started trying to lose weight, I was 192 pounds, and fit into a size 16. I'm now 171 and fit into size 12 skinny jeans. Total weight loss is low, because I've added over 10 pounds of muscle mass. But I look much smaller. You can be 170 pounds and look seriously obese or super fit. It depends on your fat to muscle ratio, not your weight.

My husband weighs 250 pounds (he is 6 ft 5in) and looks great. He doesn't have much fat on his body, he is just very muscular and extremely well built. But almost all the height weight ratios classify him as obese. So don't pay too much attention to those charts and numbers How you feel and how you look should be what matters.
  • fitplussizediva
    Options
    I have been overweight all my life (245 being my biggest). I have a mini goal of reaching 190 pounds; and my ultimate goal to be 180 pounds. Right now I just want to be out of the 200 pound range.
  • fitplussizediva
    Options
    Thanks for that post, because that was something I recently learned. I would see people who weighed less than me and looked bigger than me. I have been working out A LOT and have really been seeing a change in my body. My thighs have gotten smaller and I am starting to get some nice muscles in my arms which is a PLUS. At the rate I'm going now, I know that at my goal weight (180 pounds), I will be considered overweight or obese, but my body will be toned for the most part.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options

this.

15-20% FTW :)

im in that range, i need to build a little more muscle mass.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Weight is not the most important thing. What matters is if you look good and feel good about your body. I don't actually have a goal weight--I have a goal size. I want to fit into a size 10. When I started trying to lose weight, I was 192 pounds, and fit into a size 16. I'm now 171 and fit into size 12 skinny jeans. Total weight loss is low, because I've added over 10 pounds of muscle mass. But I look much smaller. You can be 170 pounds and look seriously obese or super fit. It depends on your fat to muscle ratio, not your weight.

My husband weighs 250 pounds (he is 6 ft 5in) and looks great. He doesn't have much fat on his body, he is just very muscular and extremely well built. But almost all the height weight ratios classify him as obese. So don't pay too much attention to those charts and numbers How you feel and how you look should be what matters.

Can i ask? How long did it take you to add the 10lb of muscle mass?
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    sometimes a doctor sets your goal for you depending on health other timeshe will tell u go tothelast weight where u felt good about yourself. for my height and all they say i should be between 94-130 lbs but less then 120 and i would look sick. so my goal weight is 120 which is where i was wheni got pregnant 25 years ago and the last weight i felt good about myself and life in general yes its the high end of where i should be but i dont feel comfortable shooting for lower then that
  • jesz124
    Options
    Body fat measuring for me too. I'm still classed as overweight for my height. Bothered. Nope!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Re: How long it took to add the 10 pounds?

It took me a few months--I only have the funds and time to do strength training (at the gym) 2 times a week. My goal wasn't so much to get stronger as it was to lose the "baby fat" from four pregnancies. So it took me a little longer to build up the muscle than it would for someone focusing mainly on strength training. But I started losing the fat--first quickly, then the weight loss slowed down as I started to build muscle.
  • jesz124
    Options
    Re: How long it took to add the 10 pounds?

It took me a few months--I only have the funds and time to do strength training (at the gym) 2 times a week. My goal wasn't so much to get stronger as it was to lose the "baby fat" from four pregnancies. So it took me a little longer to build up the muscle than it would for someone focusing mainly on strength training. But I started losing the fat--first quickly, then the weight loss slowed down as I started to build muscle.

You must have cracking generics to gain that much muscle in a few months! Lucky you. Are you thinking of competing at some point?
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 8" and when I started MFP I was at 277 and my "goal" weight was 150. I've been stuck at 164 to 166 on any given day for the past 10 1/2 months. I had the bodpod test done to check my body fat. I'm not as concerned about the goal weight anymore. I'm healthy and building good muscle tone. My profile picture is my before at 277 and I was 33 years old, my current picture I'm 166 and 45 years old :)
  • roguestates
    Options
    My goal weight is just a rough idea and mostly arbitary - 130# at 5'2. It's what I weighed starting college. Looking back at pictures of myself then, what the hell was I complaining about?

But of course, 130# without context means nothing. That's why I'm trying to get to about 25% bodyfat. That's a better indicator for me. I've always been really muscular so it's not possible for me to dip below a certain weight, but I can definitely be trimmer.

There's a 6 pack somewhere under this cooler, but I could do with a little less insulation ;)