Upcoming Gallbladder Removal

Options
Hey all, so I just got the news that December 17th I'll be going under the...well laser...to have my gallbladder removed. I've heard so many horror stories about the pain, discomfort and inability to exercise or eat after the surgery that I'm kinda terrified. As it stands right now I'm not able to do much more than walk and even that isn't always guaranteed due to the pain. Anyone else been through it? Should I be as nervous as I am? Am I really not going to be able to get this weight off afterwards and possibly even put more on? That little voice in the back of my head (you all know the one I'm talking about) just keeps telling me to give up, get over it and deal with the fact that I'm going to be fat for the rest of my life.

Please, help me prove it wrong!!!

Replies

• Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Rissy..........you'll be ok hun. Its not bad...nor is the recovery. The pain you're having now isnt much less than the surgery pain. I missed ONE day of work........the day of the surgery. My eating didnt change afterwards. Fact is it was worse BEFORE.......everything made me nauseous or pukey.

Try not to worry...I KNOW YOU WILL but try not too. It..and you will be ok....promise.

I'll say a prayer if you wouldnt mind

Lyndees_Kitty_Prayer-original.jpg

Kitty already started
  • pegsum
    pegsum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Getting my gall bladder out was a great thing for me. Wish i did it sooner. Complete relief from the pain it was giving me. So so so happy it's gone.

Give yourself at least two weeks of taking it really easy after the surgery. There is some muscle that gets cut into, so your abs are going to be plenty sore. It also takes some time to recover from anesthesia, so you will feel tired and wiped out for a bit.

Is there some pain? Sure. Is it tolerable? Yes. Does it go away? Yes.

And it made no impact whatsoever on my weight.
  • arizonagog
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about two years ago. I had no problem continuing my weight loss afterwards. The recovery is supposed to be very quick. It took me a little longer because I was very sick, but once recovered I was glad I had the surgery. I do not have pain now, and I can exercise and eat normally.
  • arizonagog
    Options
    Also, the pain I was having due to my gallbladder problems was absolutely excruciating. The pain was surgery was just a soreness and completely worth it.
  • kitten7911
    kitten7911 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i only took one day off also. had it out on a friday and by that wednesday i was walking 5 miles. you'll do great, the pain before is far worse than the recovery. good luck!!!
  • Rissyroo513
    Rissyroo513 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. I'm looking forward to not having to wonder when the next attack will be and I'll think my abdomen is being ripped to shreds and I'd really like to start running and toning again. It's nice to hear the reassuring stories.
  • sisa1965
    sisa1965 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had my taken out with no problems whatsoever... when I got home from the hospital I had a pimento chesse sandwich, doritos and a diet coke ( obviously not a MFP member then). When I woke up from the surgery i knew instantly i had been sick for awhile and like others I missed one day of work and within a week I was back to my old self. Good Luck to you and keep us posted!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine! The pain is not going to be near as bad as you are thinking. But walk walk walk afterwards it really helps the sooner you get up and walk the better you'll feel.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    wow i was worried to cause im having it done next week, well i hope everything works out for u and you have a quick recovery
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how common this is! My surgery is scheduled for November 2. I was having back, stomach & chest pains about once every few months, and I didn't even know what it was. One day I had a really bad episode, and my mother almost drove me to the hospital. Since then I had pains more frequently. Last week, I had excruciating pain on 3 seperate days, and two of those times I was driving with my kids. I was scared about the surgery, but now I just want the awful thing out!

I wish you all the best on your surgery & recovery.