Lower carbs......

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Then what would be low carb cause I have read that bananas are excellent to eat in the morning and so is oatmeal.
    Bacon and egg would be a good breakfast. Whatever you were reading was either not about low carb or was written by a goofball.

I'd rather have bacon and a banana. (and some baked oatmeal with peanut butter)
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that may be fruits and veggies would be unlimited!
    Not for low carb. Banana and oatmeal or far from low carb.

Then what would be low carb cause I have read that bananas are excellent to eat in the morning and so is oatmeal. I just looked at my oatmeal and it says that it's about 27g of carbs with 4g of fiber and the 1% milk has 13g of carbs. Wow.... now that I look at it, the milk is what does it! Hmmmm.... I thought oatmeal was healthy. Anyways, I usually eat around 150-200g of carbs a day, so I was thinking that if I cut that in half, maybe I would be taking in low carbs.

Regarding the oatmeal, read this. And no, I am not hocking a book. Someone gave me this link, and has been helping me through the program for free.... IT IS WORKING. It really is! I am as surprised as anyone, but I say again, if you are going to do it, do it all the way. The results are awesome!

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/2031/18-months-of-carb-back-loading-with-julia-ladewski/
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I checked it out and she is behind on the reserch. If you don't "Break your fast", your metabolism slows down. Many studies show more overweight people skip breakfast. Too low carbs is not good for your body, (not talking about processed foods), you need them. When extreme no carb diets are followed, your body burns muscle- what you need to keep a higher metabolism.
  • Tiffikat
    Options
    When I started really tracking my calories and exercising a month and a half ago I had a belly. People asked if I was pregnant. Since then I am down 12 lbs and the belly is barely noticeable. I have 24 lbs to go, but it's moving steadily. I have slightly lowered my carbs, but I know that for ME a true low carb/no carb diet is not a sustainable lifestyle change. For ME this is about a lifestyle change I can continue so I am allowing myself to eat pretty much anything I want as long as it fits my calories and macros for the day. If I want something and it doesn't fit then I exercise more so that I can have it. Sometimes I decide the item I want isn't worth the extra exercise time, lol, so I don't have it. I focus on increasing my protein amounts because that helps me feel full longer.

On any given day I eat the following:

Breakfast
    Oatmeal with fruit (whenever possible) and 1 full glass of water - This leaves me feeling full and satisfied until lunch. If I'm in a rush I grab a protein bar instead.

Lunch
    Sandwich Thins (less bread but still 2 pieces) with turkey or chicken and cheese, some sort of veggie, and fruit.

Dinner - I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calories and is close to my macros.

I have very limited time for breakfast and lunch so I usually have small meals then with small snacks that are either fruits, veggies, or protein throughout the day. My favorite snack is a cheese stick or baby carrots. However, I often snack on the whole wheat goldfish the kids that the students in my class have during snack time.

It's not low carb or no carb, but it works because I'm losing and the belly has significantly gone down. I also had gestational diabetes with one of my pregnancies. The important thing is that you find a diet you can sustain. If you think you can cut carbs significantly or completely and sustain that diet forever then do that. If that isn't what you want to do or what you think you can sustain then try tracking calories and increasing exercise when necessary. No or low carb does work for lots of people, however, so does exercise combined with a calorie deficit. If you want to add me as a friend you can.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I'm familiar with the current body of literature, however I had not come across anything reputable that would substantiate the claim that you would simply urinate all excess fat you consume if you were in ketosis.

I'm curious as to why you think it would only be beneficial for responses in favor of low carb, no matter how nonsensical they might be, versus having informed responses whether they were for or not for low carb

Responses daring to question a post in favor of low carb is wise-*kitten*? gotcha

Nope, because you didn't offer an informed response. You offered a wise comment designed to make all of us in favor of this eating plan look like idiots. There is more to it than just urinating out all excess fat you consume. The state of ketosis forces your body to tap into fat stores for energy - it burns slowly and consistently and eliminates the "up-and-down" effect that carbohydrates have on the body.

You can buy into it or not, but I know for a fact that it is working for me. I am eating less than 20 net grams of carbs a day, and after having two babies by C-section and being plagued for three years by a resistant layer of fat on my abdomen, it is starting to disappear. AND I am not hungry, AND I have no more cravings for specific foods, AND the rest of my body is starting to really showcase my years of hard work in the form of high-intensity aerobics and free-weight training.

I have always eaten well - almost no processed foods at all. I cook every night, make things from scratch (including bread) for my family, and get more than my share of vegetables and fruits every day. The current body of literature is pretty vast, and though I am an educated woman who does not just blindly believe everything I read, I can say without question that this type of diet WORKS. I am testing it myself. So believe it or don't, but if you are going to bother coming onto this thread to "question" it, than ask a question....or make a statement...that actually adds something to the conversation. Gotcha.
  • thr33martins
    Options
    I checked it out and she is behind on the reserch. If you don't "Break your fast", your metabolism slows down. Many studies show more overweight people skip breakfast. Too low carbs is not good for your body, (not talking about processed foods), you need them. When extreme no carb diets are followed, your body burns muscle- what you need to keep a higher metabolism.

This is what I have always believed as well. I have been putting cream in my coffee so that I get some calories and fat to start the day, but no carbohydrates. I am definitely not losing muscle, I am a fitness instructor and my classes have been stronger and more energized than ever. But the plan I am following is called "Carb Nite Solution," and it does shock your system with one carb meal a week. I have not gotten to that one meal yet....to tell you the truth is is a little scary to break from what has been working so well. But it is in place for a reason, so I will follow what I am supposed to do.

Though studies show that more overweight people skip breakfast, there is no proof that the actual meal of breakfast has anything to do with it. It could just as likely have more to do with lifestyle habits, and how and what those people are eating. They have shown correlation, but not cause. And this particular plan is designed for athletes (specifically weight lifters) so that dip in metabolism would be a non-issue. Exercise in the morning would be more effective at stimulating metabolism than a meal, and then you are burning what is stored on your body rather than what you just put into your stomach, AND by actively building muscle through exercise, the body will go after the fat, not the muscle, that is stored.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I'm familiar with the current body of literature, however I had not come across anything reputable that would substantiate the claim that you would simply urinate all excess fat you consume if you were in ketosis.

I'm curious as to why you think it would only be beneficial for responses in favor of low carb, no matter how nonsensical they might be, versus having informed responses whether they were for or not for low carb

Responses daring to question a post in favor of low carb is wise-*kitten*? gotcha

Nope, because you didn't offer an informed response. You offered a wise comment designed to make all of us in favor of this eating plan look like idiots. There is more to it than just urinating out all excess fat you consume. The state of ketosis forces your body to tap into fat stores for energy - it burns slowly and consistently and eliminates the "up-and-down" effect that carbohydrates have on the body.

You can buy into it or not, but I know for a fact that it is working for me. I am eating less than 20 net grams of carbs a day, and after having two babies by C-section and being plagued for three years by a resistant layer of fat on my abdomen, it is starting to disappear. AND I am not hungry, AND I have no more cravings for specific foods, AND the rest of my body is starting to really showcase my years of hard work in the form of high-intensity aerobics and free-weight training.

I have always eaten well - almost no processed foods at all. I cook every night, make things from scratch (including bread) for my family, and get more than my share of vegetables and fruits every day. The current body of literature is pretty vast, and though I am an educated woman who does not just blindly believe everything I read, I can say without question that this type of diet WORKS. I am testing it myself. So believe it or don't, but if you are going to bother coming onto this thread to "question" it, than ask a question....or make a statement...that actually adds something to the conversation. Gotcha.

Very strong reading comprehension on your part, you'll notice I never said a low carb diet is ineffective or not an optimal diet for some people. What I did question was the statement that only overly processed carbs make you fat and then that was followed up with the ridiculous assertion that all excess fat consumed is excreted through your urine if you are in ketosis. And you can tap into fat stores without being in ketosis, in fact holding protein and calories constant, there isn't a significant difference in fat loss between low carb/keto diets and ones higher in carbs. But by all means "keep adding to the conversion" by spouting abject nonsense, it is highly beneficial
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to have carbs and almost every meal, every day, but for the last 55 days I have been on a lower carb diet and I have lost a substantial amount of weight and consistently seeing a drop in the scales every week. I allow myself bread or cereal at breakfast but after that, the only carbs I eat are from vegetables, try to eat veges that have at least half the amount of fibre as they do carbs, so if a carrot (not actual figure, just so you get the idea) has 2grams of carbs per carrot, and 1g of fibre, then the net carbs are only 1, so if a tomato (Again, not actual figures here) had 20g of carbs but 10g of fibre, the net carbs are only 10g and it is the NET carbs that affect weight loss/gain the most (at least in my experience anyway). feel free to add me and look at my diary for menu ideas but an average day looks something like this

Wait a min! So you're telling me that, for example, even though my cottage cheese has 5g of carbs, I'm not really getting 5g of carbs because it also has 5g of protein?! :) I love the chocolate and oats fiber one bars. It says that there is 29g of carbs in one. But it also has 9g of fiber and 2g of protein. Now I know that you can minus the fiber from the carbs, or atleast that's what I was told when I had to take a gestational diabetes class. BUT I can also minus the protein too??? So in reality, I would only be eatting 18g of carbs???

Net carbs is total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols. Protein will keep you full longer, but is not part of the carb equation.

i'm not sure where you got the idea that you can subtract the protein grams, NET carbs are total carbs MINUS dietary fibre, so for your fibre one bars net carbs would be 29 minus 9(fibre) = 20g NET carbs.

hope that clears things up for you a bit. :-)
  • thr33martins
    Options

Very strong reading comprehension on your part, you'll notice I never said a low carb diet is ineffective or not an optimal diet for some people. What I did question was the statement that only overly processed carbs make you fat and then that was followed up with the ridiculous assertion that all excess fat consumed is excreted through your urine if you are in ketosis. And you can tap into fat stores without being in ketosis, in fact holding protein and calories constant, there isn't a significant difference in fat loss between low carb/keto diets and ones higher in carbs. But by all means "keep adding to the conversion" by spouting abject nonsense, it is highly beneficial

I am a nice person - why this need to be a d*i*c*k?? I have never claimed to be an expert. I am new to this, I am reading everything I can, and there is a large faction of people who believe this stuff, so why do you insist that it is nonsense? It isn't nonsense, and "my" studies are every bit as reliable as "your" studies. Nice abs, little boy, but your attitude sucks.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used to have carbs and almost every meal, every day, but for the last 55 days I have been on a lower carb diet and I have lost a substantial amount of weight and consistently seeing a drop in the scales every week. I allow myself bread or cereal at breakfast but after that, the only carbs I eat are from vegetables, try to eat veges that have at least half the amount of fibre as they do carbs, so if a carrot (not actual figure, just so you get the idea) has 2grams of carbs per carrot, and 1g of fibre, then the net carbs are only 1, so if a tomato (Again, not actual figures here) had 20g of carbs but 10g of fibre, the net carbs are only 10g and it is the NET carbs that affect weight loss/gain the most (at least in my experience anyway). feel free to add me and look at my diary for menu ideas but an average day looks something like this

Wait a min! So you're telling me that, for example, even though my cottage cheese has 5g of carbs, I'm not really getting 5g of carbs because it also has 5g of protein?! :) I love the chocolate and oats fiber one bars. It says that there is 29g of carbs in one. But it also has 9g of fiber and 2g of protein. Now I know that you can minus the fiber from the carbs, or atleast that's what I was told when I had to take a gestational diabetes class. BUT I can also minus the protein too??? So in reality, I would only be eatting 18g of carbs???

Net carbs is total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols. Protein will keep you full longer, but is not part of the carb equation.

i'm not sure where you got the idea that you can subtract the protein grams, NET carbs are total carbs MINUS dietary fibre, so for your fibre one bars net carbs would be 29 minus 9(fibre) = 20g NET carbs.

hope that clears things up for you a bit. :-)

I don't know why I was thinking protein too lol! :)
  • IvaRai
    IvaRai Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I personally do a keto diet (no carbs) I do a lot of meats, cheese, egg. But I do know there are recipes out there if you are wanting more out of the diet. I find out of everything I've ever done it was worked the best for me. As I'm not a fruit and vegetable eater. I've lost over 30lbs with this diet and it could be way more if I wasn't so lazy.

* all of my weight is in my tummy. I could pass for someone who is pregnant. and I've been asked quite a few times how far along I am.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I don't log my food though. just my workouts (I've been really lazy and not feeling good.)
  • chris1529
    Options
    I'm not sure about the keto thing. I guess I need to do some research but I do remember when I had gestational diabetes they said that it wasn't good for your body to do the keto thing.... hmmm idk. For breakfast this morning I had 3 scrambled eggs with a little bit of onion and green bell pepper added. I also love my coffee in the morning BUT I usually put a lot of sugar in it. So I was thinking that instead of adding sugar, I would of course keep my half & half in it and add a tbsp of coffee mate flavored creamer in it instead. Now my cup of coffee has 6g of carbs. It still has that sweetness without me adding all that sugar! So my breakfast this morning came up to a total of only 15g carbs!
  • geoffers12
    geoffers12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have reduced the carbs and unnatural occuring sugars from my diet (except on cheat days). I now eat sandwhichs without the bread and pasta use to be a staple and has been removed completely. Lunch generally is breadless sandwhich so i just roll lunch meet with a slice of cheese and spinach inside. For dinner I sometimes do a bed of spinach with cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots with some grilled chicken breast.

I will warn ya, if you are going to be running a lot you may not want to just go "cold turkey" on carbs. Slowly reduce it from your diet while getting carbs from your other foods such as vegetables.

Hope this helps, message me if you want some more recipes I use that are easy....

G
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have lost 19 lbs since The first of August eating less than 100 grams of carbs per day. I don't find this difficult, get my carbs from almond milk, the lower carb fruit & vegetables. I stay away from all of the starchy vegetables & most breads. I have had an occasional grilled cheese sandwich on whole wheat & I always have a few chips at any Mexican rest. we go to. My doctor put me on this plan to control tryclerides & said she did not know if I would lose or not, but I have. I have one small piece of dark choc. every night too. This is something I can live with and I think that is the key to losing weight & then keeping it off. There is a low carb group on MFP and you can get some great friends & meal ideas. I hope you have great success.
  • chris1529
    Options
    That's what I was thinking too! I want to stay under 100g carbs a day and find meals and snacks that I can live with that doesn't make me feel deprived! I love dairy! So I like that I can still have milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. I do plan on having 1 cheat meal a week, probably a dinner.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Wow! I just logged my lunch, and although it is healthy and low carb, the fat and calories is a little high! Man it seems like you have to either do one or the other (low carb or low fat).......... OR only eat veggies!!!!!
  • thr33martins
    Options
    Wow! I just logged my lunch, and although it is healthy and low carb, the fat and calories is a little high! Man it seems like you have to either do one or the other (low carb or low fat).......... OR only eat veggies!!!!!

This is true - they do not recommend that you cut both carbs and fat. One or the other...
  • chris1529
    Options

This is true - they do not recommend that you cut both carbs and fat. One or the other...

I read something that said "fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do." Is that true?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

No, an over consumption of calories does, regardless of macronutrient makeup
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, for some people they do. Whether it's because they increase hunger, aren't as satiating, "carbs" being used as another word for junk food, there's a metabolic advantage like some studies show, the alternative hypothesis... The list can go on and on but regardless of the reason for it in the real world, for a lot of people, carbs DO make them fat.

Calories in, calories out is a simplistic explanation that does nothing to explain why people overeat and what's causing it.