Want to start lifting weights- need some help!

Options
Hi, I want to start lifting weights but I don't know what I'm doing... I spent many years very inactive and since August I've been counting calories and exercising. My exercise has been primarily cardio though: treadmill on an incline, couch to 5K, 30 day shred and 6 week six pack. I haven't had much of plan, just making sure I'm exercising about 5-6 times per week. I'd love some advice about how to go about adding weights into the equation. I don't have a gym membership and that won't likely happen soon- I'm a stay at home mom with 4 kids. I have 5 pound hand weights. Any advice? I still have ALOT of weight to lose so that would be my primary purpose in exercising- and trying not to become "skinny fat". :smile:

Replies

• kryslJackson
    Options
    If your working out at home and want to start gaining some muscle and strength I suggest starting with basics. Low bodyweight squats are great for beginners (*kitten* to grass - do them barefoot because running sneakers will put you in your toes and you want to be in heels). Next get a chin up bar and get a stool and start with negative pull ups (that means starting at the top and holding yourself up, then lowering yourself down slowly). Push ups are great. Don't do the ones on the knees...from the feet. If it's too hard elevate yourself on an incline by putting your hands on a coffee table, desk, etc. The higher up you are the easier it is...work your way down. Lunges are great too. Concentrate on compound movements (which involve a few muscle groups) that use mostly the lower body (where most of your muscle mass is). Building your lower body will help you increase your metabolism that much more. Lastly, this sounds kind of crazy, but if you have a car or truck I recommend pushing and pulling it. Tie a rope to the hitch and pull or get behind it and push...this will build your glutes like nothing else. Honestly, the 5 lb weights aren't gonna do much except work small muscle groups like biceps and shoulders. If you have any questions message me. I'm a personal trainer and a competitive powerlifter (hold 10 world records and I'm nationally ranked).
  • 4twins
    4twins Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your ideas- I'll get going on them! We already have a chin up bar, I forgot about that. I tried doing a chin up and just hung there... so I like your suggestion of starting up already and holding myself in that position. My hubby would love the pushing/pulling the car idea- I'm sure he'd get a big kick out of seeing me try that! Great ideas, thank you!