Stretch marks

Options
I'm 22, trying to loose around 80 pounds (the healthy way).

I know I shouldn't have too much of a problem with excess skin, but I am worried about stretch marks.

What are ways to prevent them from forming and getting rid of them, if they do form?

Please help!

Replies

• zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks form from GAINING weight fast, not from losing it. At least that has been my understanding.
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do you have stretch marks now? You will probably have loose/excess skin when you lose the weight but if you don't have marks now, you probably won't have them after.

*Also, you cannot prevent stretch marks. Moisturize and drink lots of water but that isn't really proven to prevent them...
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    Stretch marks form from GAINING weight fast, not from losing it. At least that has been my understanding.

This. When you GAIN weight your skin stretches (sometimes during growth spurts as a kid too). If you gain weight too fast you skin can't keep up so you get stretch marks. You wont get stretch marks from losing weight.
    If you already have them moisturisers such as Bio Oil promise to 'improve the appearance' but there's no real proof, although it seems to have helped the apperance of some scars I have. Time will make stretch marks fade, as with any scar.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Not sure if its helping or not but I've been using palmers tummy butter.

Down side is it smells like chocolate
  • Shotgun_Sinner
    Options
    Not sure if its helping or not but I've been using palmers tummy butter.

Down side is it smells like chocolate

THIS! It's what I use and it does help.

As you say though, it smells of chocolate, and makes you hungry for it!!
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    i've had stretch marks a while from gaining, after a few years they go a silvery white colour and aren't really obvious.

you can get marks from losing too fast too though i wouldn't call them stretch marks. losing at a steady, healthy pace should prevent this
  • needsenergy
    Options
    Not sure how true this is but when I was doing one of these god awful expensive weight loss programs that apparently goes on your blood test results ect one of the things we HAD to eat every day was a green apple. The reasoning for this is a green apple puts the elasticity back in your skin and minimizes baggy left over skin ect from weight loss.

Like I said how true this fact actually is I don't know but it was a very important part of that program.
  • SycReid
    SycReid Posts: 14
    Options
    2 lbs a week the maximum normal weight that you should lose a week based on my readings. There's more tendency that you'll have loose skin if you lose weight really fast.
    Drinking lots of water and lots of exercise works though. Yep. I have to admit it. Exercise.Exercise. Exercise. If you wanna lose weight, make sure you eat right and exercise. And some moisturizers helps as well. :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks will fade as time goes on, and you'll have less saggy skin the slower you lose the weight. Though, I'd rather have stretch marks and some sag for the rest of my life in a size 10 then not at a size 28 where I was.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It's when you gain the weight that you develop stretch marks, not when you lose. Also, what's worse: The weight or the stretch marks?