Weight Loss After a Binge

Options
I've been tracking here for 3 weeks, lowering calories and increasing exercise . No weight loss during this time. Even gained half a lb last week.

Cut to this morning. Weighed myself and lost 3 lbs overnight. Doesn't make any sense since yesterday I ate too much junk and ended up with a calorie intake nearly double my usual intake. I was prepared for a gain, not a loss.

Why would I lose zip during 3 weeks of dieting and then lose weight after a binge day? The only answers I found online didn't have anything to do with me. There was a leptin hormone explanation, but that was for people who do a low carb diet and then refeed. My diet isn't low carb. There was something about water weight loss, but my bathroom trips haven't increased. Another had to do with weight loss due to resting from exercise, but yesterday was a cardio day. Any clues to what could be going on? I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else and what they think it was.

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I am a bloke, so no experience here, but I have seen posts referring to "hormones" & time of the month
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    how many cals are you consuming daily otherwise? maybe it's not enough?
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    probably because ur not eating enough with ur daily calories
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    how many cals are you consuming daily otherwise? maybe it's not enough?

This. Sometimes when you consume too little, it causes you to stall out. Also, if you have a consistant deficit during the rest of the week, one day where you eat a lot isn't going to kill your efforts.
  • juliemiller47
    Options
    Maybe your body needs more calories than you think especially if your increasing excercise, sometimes our body thinks its starving... great job though, keep up the good work, 3 lbs overnight,, amazing ;0)
    :happy:
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    It isn't TOM. Averaging my 3-week intake, it's in the 1700-ish range, so I don't think that's it. I see people here eating way less than me and they are losing weight.

I just hope this loss sticks around for Monday. That's when I record my weigh-ins. It's so weird to sacrifice for 3 weeks and nada, then finally get a loss after a bad eating day.
  • GomesDavid
    Options

yup totally agreed !!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    weight flectuates so much due to hormones and factors out of our control ... I used to never understand this, however my addiction to my scale has showed me again and again how weird it can be.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I just hope this loss sticks around for Monday. That's when I record my weigh-ins. It's so weird to sacrifice for 3 weeks and nada, then finally get a loss after a bad eating day.

Did the weight loss stick around for your weigh in? I remembered later that my loss goes in fits & starts, nothing for a few days, then bam, down a pound overnight, which sticks.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I lose after binge days if I've been good for a couple weeks. I guess it tricks our metabolism.
  • FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Maybe you were super dehydrated this morning? I always way about 3lbs less following a night on the ol' vin rouge than I do normally.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

yup totally agreed !!

this. all of a sudden your body was like "OMG FOOD!!! YES!! BURN BABY BURN!!"

a lot of people use things like calorie spiking and intermittent fasting in order to help them with weight loss.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Did the weight loss stick around for your weigh in? I remembered later that my loss goes in fits & starts, nothing for a few days, then bam, down a pound overnight, which sticks.

I ended up having a second bad eating day. Weighed in the morning after, still a 3-lb loss. Yesterday I restricted calories again. Got on the scale this morning and....gained those 3 lbs back! Back to 220. I've been logging for 24 days and got nada to show for it. Thought maybe those 2 binge days really threw me off, but average calorie intake for last week came in at 1,763 (normal range for me). Got in 400 exercise minutes too, so I wasn't slacking.

If anyone's been through something weird like this and pulled out of it, please share how you did it!