Will it still work if I don't exercise?

Options
Will it still work if I don't exercise? Because it's hard enough to eat 1200 calories per day, if I exercise I have to eat even more and I never eat that much. So is it okay if I don't exercise? Please help! :)

Replies

• KirstinM0
    KirstinM0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds over the summer by staying within the 1200 calorie limit and excercising only once or twice a week, if that ! Everyone is different though, so I can't say it'll work for you if you don't excercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss is diet, exercise is fitness. Most people exercise to be able to eat more and maintain their muscle. You don't have much to lose at all, so you should be aiming for around 1/2 lb per week (which will probably increase your calories). But it's not hard to add more calories. Stop eating any diet type foods (low fat, low calorie, sugar free... they are all processed), or you can add stuff to your diet like nuts, avocado, cooking meet in EVOO or even take in spoonfuls of peanut butter. Also, a diet higher in fish and lean meats (steak, bison, chicken, turkey, duck) can help raise your calories. It's call eat smart, not more. Also, stuff like high calorie protein shakes and protein bars can help. From a long term perspective, those who exercise keep off the weight a lot more.
  • MrsNANSEE
    Options
    I cant do a lot of exercise due to a few slipped discs.When i do exercise i dont eat those calories.I always try to cover half of my plate with loads of veg or salad or have some fruit after a meal.Plenty of water too xx Good luck x
  • mary1028
    mary1028 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It might not work at all if you are not eating at least 1200 calories. Too few calories can sabotage you in the long run as too much can. I find exercise helps me mentally as much as anything, but I don't think it is necessary to losing weight. It probably is to better help but exercise comes in a lot of forms. Sure someone who is more of an expert will offer you advice. But don't consistently stay under 1200 calories - not good for you!!
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are only 18 years old -- you should have exercise in your routine. This will really help you in the long run!
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It will work as long as you eat less than you burn off just sitting around (I forgot what this was called...I think TEE or something like that).
  • goldenaurea
    Options
    My daily diet intake is suppose to be 1200 calories, and i've only once gone over by 100 calories. I work out 6 days a week sometimes 1hr and 45 minutes a day. I never eat the extra calories that I'm awarded. So far in 16 days i've lost 4.2 lbs. I say work out at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour to keep fit.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Question- If you have difficulty eating 1200 cal daily, how did you gain weight? And YES you need exercise.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Surely the question is not, "can I do this without exercise", but "why not?". there must be loads of things you can do that can be considered exercise that will be fun and you will enjoy doing as part of your new healthy life.

You don't have to go to the gym or train for a marathon if you don't want to - you can do loads of things so enjoy them and you will see the weight come off a lot quicker than just dieting and watching the scales ever week.

Go for it!
  • BeckySBowen
    BeckySBowen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I was exercising daily for the first few weeks and maybe lost a pound or two. Then life became super hectic and there was no time to exercise. I did stick to my 1200ish diet and the weight began to fall off...go figure! I am fairly active during the day though. We're all different and our bodies respond differently. It may or may not work for you. But, exercise is always a good idea. :smile:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My daily diet intake is suppose to be 1200 calories, and i've only once gone over by 100 calories. I work out 6 days a week sometimes 1hr and 45 minutes a day. I never eat the extra calories that I'm awarded. So far in 16 days i've lost 4.2 lbs. I say work out at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour to keep fit.

Before someone reads this and thinks its the only way, I eat an average of 1900-2000 calories a day and I'm 22 days in to my little experiment (which is to eat more this time around, since when I stopped eating only 1200/day and exercising for almost two hours/day six days a week, I gained all my weight back). Anyway, I eat...sometimes alot (I'm 1000 over my calorie goal for yesterday lol) and I don't exercise much at all (maybe an hour a week all together). I'm 22 days into this, and I've lost 4.3 lbs....so there are other ways besides eating little and working out every day. Just gotta find what works for you!
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is diet, exercise is fitness. Most people exercise to be able to eat more and maintain their muscle. You don't have much to lose at all, so you should be aiming for around 1/2 lb per week (which will probably increase your calories). But it's not hard to add more calories. Stop eating any diet type foods (low fat, low calorie, sugar free... they are all processed), or you can add stuff to your diet like nuts, avocado, cooking meet in EVOO or even take in spoonfuls of peanut butter. Also, a diet higher in fish and lean meats (steak, bison, chicken, turkey, duck) can help raise your calories. It's call eat smart, not more. Also, stuff like high calorie protein shakes and protein bars can help. From a long term perspective, those who exercise keep off the weight a lot more.

I agree with all of this. Eating more calories is not hard. I like adding EVOO and not eating diet things. I love peanut butter and almonds. I also starting adding a lot of things to my oatmeal in the morning. It tastes yummy and still is healthy (I think anyway). :) My husband lost 80 pounds without exercising at all. It was a lot harder for me because I am so short. I couldn't see my weight loss until I started exercising. I was obviously losing weight because my pant size was going down and the scale said so, but I didn't see it in the mirror until I started working out. Good luck. :)
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Given that you are 15 years old based on another one of your posts, I think that your daily calorie and nutritional needs differ based on here. I am not sure if MFP caters for 15 year old as you have put that you are 18 years old in your profile. You need to probably eat a bit more than the 1200 calories.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise. I eat 1800 calories a day. I average about 2-3 lbs per week lost. I had about 80lbs to lose. Depends how much you have to drop but you have to make sure you are eating enough - run your numbers.

Eat less than you ate when you were fat = lose weight
    lift weight + do not eat at a deficit = gain muscle
    Eat like a bird, work out 6 times a week = bang your head against a wall due to extensive plateaus + not gaining muscle + being sore, tired AND HUNGRY all the time.

Your choice ;)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you'll lose more muscle and less fat if you don't exercise.

It's easy to eat more calories - add a glass of whole milk or a piece of buttered toast to your day. Have a glass of orange juice.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Will it still work if I don't exercise? Because it's hard enough to eat 1200 calories per day, if I exercise I have to eat even more and I never eat that much. So is it okay if I don't exercise? Please help! :)

So you're not losing weight for health, but purely aesthetics?

Well, that's an easy answer: without some form of strength training, you'll probably be unhappy with your appearance once you're at your "goal" weight. Why? You'll have lost muscle, which is what makes a body look good.

Oh, what's that--you'd like to be healthy, not just skinny?

Then why would you NOT exercise? Strength training maintains/builds lean muscle which levels hormones, burns calories when you're not doing anything, etc. Cardio improves overall fitness by improving heart, lung, vascular, etc. health.

So... still interested in just cutting calories to cut calories?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you're fifteen, why don't you take up a sport? Find an activity you like to do now, so that when you're older, you aren't one of those many women dragging themselves onto an elliptical and struggling with weight because they never figured out how to enjoy being active in their youth.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    for me personally its exercise which makes the difference, just eating low calories i dont see much change, a bit of exercise and it drops off.. most of what i have lost so far was during 1 week when i upped the exercise :|
    but everyones different
    x
  • xgloryx
    Options

Thanks for the idea! :)
  • xgloryx
    Options
    Question- If you have difficulty eating 1200 cal daily, how did you gain weight? And YES you need exercise.

I started gaining weight when I was like 10 because my mom never cook and we eat junk food everyday but since I'm about 12, we never eat junk food and I only have one healthy meal a day but since then my weight never change. - Thanks for the idea tho! I'll do exercise. :)