The 3500 calorie equation must be flawed.

Options

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The problem lies with the whole..

Create a deficit of 500 calories a day...from what?

Maintenence level varies person to person. All the equations out there are just population averages, just estimates. Confounding that is the fact that it varies day to day, week to week, month to month.

You can use weigh-in results to reverse engineer your mantenence intake (CI-CO+Maintence = 3500*weight change) and use that knowledge to set deficits and surpluses that will have you gaining or losing at almost precisely the rate you wish. It takes a little more effort (and some working knowlege of post-elementary school mathematics, an a willingness to weight yourself daily), but it works like a charm.

For the most part everyone is just guessing their maintenence level. Even guessing wrong by 10% can have a massive impact on results. And all the equations out there to estimate it are merely guesses. And it varies over time anyway.

I pound of fat lost or muscle gained = 3500 calories works just fine as an equation governing the system, especially since most error is eliminated by reverse engineering your maintenence level, as the error cancels out.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Most of the reasons have already been posted - guideline, not only fat loss, variations in metabolism, etc. But, the 3500 calorie guideline refers to losing weight - IF YOUR WEIGHT IS STABLE.

If you're eating enough calories so that you're putting on weight each week - say, 1/2 pound per week, where you may not even notice it daily/weekly on a scale - a deficit of 3500 kcal from what you're currently eating will only net you a loss of 1/2 pound. The first 1750 kcal (again - just a general guideline) puts you back to where your weight would stabilize. The remaining 1750 kcal puts you at a loss of 1/2 pound.

So, like others have mentioned, you really have to look at it long term.
  • cchhome
    cchhome Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am fairly new here, but I have a general comment about this topic. I have friends ( non MFP) that call me and vent about how the scale doesn't move, I'm eating right, exercising, etc, but when I go to their houses, I see the food that is there and available....it's less that ideal. Minute noodles, chocolate bars, sodas (lots), processed food that you don't really know what it is unless you read the ingredients and still not really sure, no fruit or veggies, deep fried homemade donuts (so you eat the whole batch, not just the little bag from the store), homemade fries....the list goes on and on, I could rant for days!

Now, please don't think that I am a nasty person, but I think that if you lie to yourself you will never get anywhere! Make a point of marking down everything, everything, everything! A scale can be your new best friend! It will add some time to your day, but if it will help get the food issues under controll, you are totallly worth it!

I need a scale, and I mean NEED a scale at this point. I have to have that brutal honest device that says, " If you eat this little bowl of Doritos, Lays, etc, you are eating 300 calories.....oh do you really need them this bad?"

I am the first one to admit that I was guilty of eating some of these things, and still fall off the wagon from time to time, however, by being diligent with the food log I know where I went wrong, it's right there infront of me. So the next day I start all over again, clean slate and try something different.

So, junk the junk food from your cupboard if you are like me, it's there I eat. Buy some beautiful fruits and veggies and eat them, your body will thank you in so many ways. Be a totally conscious eatter. Be truthful to yourself, if you can't be brutally honest with yourself, who can you?

Keep on trying, and best of luck.
  • annehart00
    Options

I was actually looking for inaccuracies or stupid claims in this (just because it irks me so much when people put letters behind their names to try and give themselves extra credibility), but I actually like this article and the content. I also think the quote above does answer for a lot of issues that people are experiencing, either that, or the size of their spoons and cups start increasing as they lose weight...hahaha.

I'm not an expert in nutrition but I've done quite a bit of research over the last year - vegan, nutritarian, omnivore, Healthy At Every Size, etc. I try to post information that seems legit and is backed by science or common sense. Doesn't mean every article I'll ever post will be perfect but I have a good nose for nonsense *I think*.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    some weeks i have lost a pound the following week 3 pounds up to 4 pounds, I am eating pretty much the same each week and I do not eat all my exercise calories.

I am comfortable at around 1500 to 1700 calories a day I still have loads of energy and not very hungry often.
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. I know from personal experience of knowing exactly how many calories I was eating (measuring, scales, lables, data bases before this site) and ALWAYS being at a defict, yet yeilding no weight loss. Yet by mathmatics I would have saved say 10,000 calories over a 10 day period. And I am stubbord and never give up on anything so I did it for months and nothing. So I know for me its BS. I wouldn't say everyone, but for some of us I think our body just adjusts its burn to what we feed it (I also haven't gained any weight in the past 10 years)

I plan on writing up a longer story on this subject (not now though) but I figure for those like me I wanted to add. I also had the problem of thinking I was eating more than I was over the past years when I eventually stopped being so ridculuous and obsessive (i am lucky I like healthy food, it tastes better to me), I thought a 1/4c of nuts was a handful when my hands are small so i was actually eating a 1/8c...same with pasta, I thought a porton was 1/2 cup, when its really a cup and I was never eating that. So i was consttantly undereating even more than I thought for years. Now I have been logging it all here again for the past month and a half so it was interesting to see how BIG my defict is based on how active and what I was eating. I would give it more time though now before I can say weither things are working or not.

I know for me its hormonal problems.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. I know from personal experience of knowing exactly how many calories I was eating (measuring, scales, lables, data bases before this site) and ALWAYS being at a defict, yet yeilding no weight loss. Yet by mathmatics I would have saved say 10,000 calories over a 10 day period. And I am stubbord and never give up on anything so I did it for months and nothing. So I know for me its BS. I wouldn't say everyone, but for some of us I think our body just adjusts its burn to what we feed it (I also haven't gained any weight in the past 10 years)

You went through all that effort...

Did you bother to calculate YOUR mainence level?
    (not estimating it via some equation out there for estimating it; guessing in other words)
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    yup, my body is probably alot like many peoples out there. It just adjusts itself. I have been at this 10 years. I am healthy at least. I think part of the problem with losing is thinking I had to lose more than I did because the scale was higher from pregancy and never returned...however I am more muscular now than before and my body fat isn't even that bad (26% but I would rather be 20%)
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You are so right! Lab analysis shows that one pound of fat contains 3500 calories but what happens in the lab and what happens in a living, moving body are not the same. The exercise charts are an average and the rate at which we burn calories varies widely depending on muscle mass, basal metabolic rate, level of exertion etc. So whatever exercise you do may or may not actually be creating a 500 calorie deficit. Also since fluid retention is a factor in the scale number, the actual percentage of fat may be less while the pounds stay the same. Th e good news is that things should balance out over time so if you are weighing food, exercising etc, you should see the scale move in a two to three weeks. If not its time to change something in your diet or exercise plan. Hope that helps and is encouraging.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The other comical thing is to hear folks say "as long as you eat to your calories, it doesn't matter what you eat"....WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP.

So many folks on here eat fast food, stay within their cal goals and lose no weight. Wanna know why? Fat and sodium. May fit into your cal goals but the intake of trans fat and sodium will kill all your other efforts. Or they eat an apple for the next meal and think they have balanced their goals for the day.

Its ok to have a cheat day, but do not expect to eat that type of processed food on a regular basis and hit your goals.

Actually, people can eat junk and lose weight. It's not good for you (and I try to eat better now), but I lost 10 pounds before by eating junk. I'd like to post a topic and see how many people have managed...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Youre right!!! It is more complicated than that!!

here's the catch!

Its not math. The math is a general estimate based on what scientifically happens to a standard body in a standard situation. Your body is different. It does different things everyday, its diet goes up and down and changes, youre at different points in your monthly cycle, there may be stress or pressure in some area of your life affecting hormones, maybe your sleep has been off a little this week, there are 2 million factors that sway that number away from standard results - so just relax, do the right things and look at the big picture.

:flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    When I see someone say that you can eat junk and still lose weight... It makes me wish Id never participated in the thread.

yeah you can lose weight without eating right and without exercising - but there's a grand canyon difference between reaching your goal weight and getting the body you want.

The two are NOT a package deal.

AT ALL.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    When I see someone say that you can eat junk and still lose weight... It makes me wish Id never participated in the thread.

yeah you can lose weight without eating right and without exercising - but there's a grand canyon difference between reaching your goal weight and getting the body you want.

AT ALL.

I like you. :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Create a deficit of 500 calories a day...from what?

I absolutely agree. At best, we're making educated guesses about how much we are consuming in terms of caloric value, and how much our bodies need is essentially based on a population average. The key is to find what works for you.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    In addition to it being estimates (your estimated daily burn from exercise and daily intake from food) of estimates (a generalized formula for TDEE designed to be as accurate as possible for as many people as possible...making it accurate for no one):

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    For my body and with the same workout, 1200 calories a day 2 lbs a month, 1450 calories a day, at least 1 lb a week.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I belive there is another side to this claim. Efficiency. I'm a manufacturing engineer so if my medical part does not make sense, try to catch the drift not the medical inacuracies.
    You do not run exactly as fast or as far as I do, you run longer or less, faster or slower, you have a different heartbeat, you gain muscle, lose muscle faster than i do. I had hepatitis as a child so my liver is probably not as good as yours, I live at sea level so my O2 intake per breath must not be as good as those of you who live in great altitudes... If our efficiencies in running, breathing, and muscle building are different you must also digest in lower/higher efficiencies than I do. All assumptions here include the fact that 100% of the calories ingested will be processed by the body. If your intestine is inefficient, or longer, or thickker or has more surface area or is thinner, all these parameters allow for differnet effciiencies. So if my intestine is 5% more efficient, my liver 10% less efficient, and my breathing is 7% less efficient, plus a zillion other parameters, we end up that 3500 perfectly measured perfectly calculated calories mean little since my body screwed up all these number by it's inate ineffciency while procesing them.

The energy in a gallon of gasoline is not the energy a car counts on to move, heat, friction, air resistance, tire rolling resistance means we only get a fraction of the original energy. A more efficient car (my body ) will go farther than a (my skinny brother in law's) less efficient car.
    In our currrent weightloss case however inefficiency (as opposed to previous human history were being fat was awesome cause one would survive the starvation periods) is a plus. You will process less of what you eat and therefore loose weight comparably faster that the more efficent people.

I believe everyone is responsible for finding their numbers, these figures exist because we want a starting point, and I'm glad they exist, however it is again MY RESPONSABILITY to use them and alter them to find more about myself. I belive they represent a fair guess, and anyone who argues that 1 calorie over 3500 a day, will average a gain of 1 lb every 10 years is an idiot, and shouldnt even be paid attention to.

Just my 35 pesos... ( 2cents)
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    Options

AT ALL.

^this
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Ahh. Duckface is back with another scientific revelation. Happy Monday! :drinker: