10lbs in 4 weeks? Tips please

Options
Ive been doing MFP off and on for a few months and have lost 11lbs so far. I'm fine with that as have had a few holidays in between and lots of nights out etc... I am aiming to be at my ultimate goal (which is another 19lbs) by March so the slowly approach is ok. However.... My hubby set me a charity challenge to lose 21lbs by the date of a black tie ball I am hosting which leaves me now only 4 weeks to lose 10lbs. If I do it he will donate £500 to my charity. I know I've left it a it late to get serious now but I need to get as close as possible. Any tips? Even on weeks when I've been really really good and do focused I still only lose 1-2lbs absolute max. I lost it faster before on weight watchers but like MFP - I just need to do something different.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be discouraging but unfortunately, with only 19lbs to lose, 10lbs in 4 weeks is not a realistic, or healthy goal. It is very unlikely that your body will let go of 10lbs of fat in that time. Even 2 lbs a week is not really to be expected when you are so close to a healthy weight. There are ways that people drop water weight rapidly, and someone may give you tips on that, but please be careful. Crash diets usually cause more harm than good in the long run. It's a lovely suggestion that your husband made. Perhaps you could explain to him that it wouldn't be healthy for you to lose that much in such a short space of time, and he could amend the challenge?
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The only real way to lose weight is to exercise a nd stick to your cals. Don't starve yourself! It will be hard work but it's worth a go :D
  • alilarmour
    Options
    Hmmmm I know it's unrealistic but I can't amend the target as I had plenty of time to do it at a sensible rate and so it's my own fault. 19lbs is to hit the top of my healthy weight range so I could lose a good bit more. I know crash dieting is not a good long term solution but I need a quick fix then back to eating healthily. I'm dropping to 1000 calories a day and eating mostly fruit, veg and lean fish or chicken. I'm cerrtainly not starving myself. Also to eating after 6pm at night as that's when I snack out of habit rather than hunger. And yes exercise too!!! I'm determined to stick to it properly for 28 days instead of cheating here and there. If that means only 6lbs instead of 10 so be it but I want to get as close as possible!!
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Stick to eating healthy and exercising in moderation for 27 days, then on the morning of your weigh in go for a sauna wrap or some other 'treatment' it'll make you lose a few lbs of water weight. Yes its cheating and you'll put the water weight back on, but it just might help make your hubby cough up for charity ;-)
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    you could also cut out refined carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc) and sodium. it will be an unhealthy way to get to a 10lb loss which ever way you go with so little time. you will most likely put it back on once you return to eating normal and eating at a reasonable caloric deficit. but if your goal is to get him to donate £500 lbs to charity and you've got to lose 10lbs to get that, it's worth a try.

just be reasonable about it. if you are killing yourself to get there, no amount of money is worth your health. give it your all but just be very careful. good luck!!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    stick with your progress and be happy that your loosing weight steadily and eating healthy.

trying to loose that much in a month could mess up your progress.

slow and steady wins the race.

sbadiglio-tartaruga.jpg
  • chaosqueen01
    chaosqueen01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm totally on the side of all those who say "don't do it"!

It is not healthy to eat only 1000 calories for a longer period. Your body needs a specific amount of calories just to work (without any movement made) and you should never eat less than these calories for longer (it is okay for one day if you are not hungry, but please fill in the missing calories on other days).

So one important thing for losing weight in a healthy and long-lasting way is eating enough. The other is sports. Of course you could start exercising for several hours a day from now on, but this still will bring not the result you want, because your body needs slow improvement to lose fat.

My recommendation: Talk to your husband now, tell him that you screwed up and that 4lb is a realistic goal from now on if your loss of weight still should be healthy. Try to get there and ask him to donate just a part of the money. I don't have in mind what you have lost by now, but maybe 50 pounds for each lost lb will be a good idea for his donation.

Explain to him that you are willing to lose weight but that you don't want to ruin your health. He should unterstand!
  • MrsDundas87
    Options
    I am in a similar situation to yourself. My husband is to attend his graduation ceremony on 29th Nov. That has given me 5 weeks to lose as much as I can so I get myself a nice dress. This week I have lost 3lbs. I am eating a minimum of 1200 a day but its averaging out at 1500. I have been power walking to and from work (3 miles all in) and I work 4 days a week. I have been doing the 30 Day Shred dvd as well. Found this time has been much easier and have never lost 3lbs in a week before. This week is payday so will be getting myself some new running trainers so I can get back out pounding the pavements, and going back to swimming once a week as well.

Just remember if you are exercising lots, make sure you keep your calories up otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and stores everything as fat.

Well done on your weight loss so far, but I think you need to up your calorie intake to more than 1000 per day.
  • alilarmour
    Options
    Thanks all. I am only eating 1000 cals on the days I can't get any exercise fitted in. Like today - unless you count lugging a small child around as exercise! On days when I can d a good 10k run or spin class or something I will eat at least my recommended 1200 and maybe a little more. I consider those my treat days but will still be having healthy calories rather than sweet treats. I cannot shift the goal as around 150 people know about my challenge so cheating is not an option. I still get £10 for every lb lost no matter what but if I hit 21lbs them I get £500. I prob only have 9 to lose actually. I also know my hubby will donate regardless but I don't want to let anyone down. I know I know I know it's a bit late to think like that! either way I have a lovely new dress in a smaller size (which has a lace up back so will fit even if I lose some more) and I feel healthier and slimmer than I was at the start. I don't really mind if I don't do it but would like to try my hardest. I have cheated way too much over the weeks with most weekends off so am hoping really sticking at it with healthy eating and exercise will get me good results. I guess I know the theory but just need to stick to it.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am only eating 1000 cals on the days I can't get any exercise fitted in. Like today - unless you count lugging a small child around as exercise! On days when I can d a good 10k run or spin class or something I will eat at least my recommended 1200 and maybe a little more. I consider those my treat days but will still be having healthy calories rather than sweet treats. I cannot shift the goal as around 150 people know about my challenge so cheating is not an option. I still get £10 for every lb lost no matter what but if I hit 21lbs them I get £500. I prob only have 9 to lose actually. I also know my hubby will donate regardless but I don't want to let anyone down. I know I know I know it's a bit late to think like that! either way I have a lovely new dress in a smaller size (which has a lace up back so will fit even if I lose some more) and I feel healthier and slimmer than I was at the start. I don't really mind if I don't do it but would like to try my hardest. I have cheated way too much over the weeks with most weekends off so am hoping really sticking at it with healthy eating and exercise will get me good results. I guess I know the theory but just need to stick to it.

whats your TDEE / BMR?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    do hot yoga, i wasnt even trying to lose weight anymore and i dropped 1 or 2 lbs a class,I only went twice a week though but it helped me drop the last 5 lbs.
  • alilarmour
    Options

whats your TDEE / BMR?

Lol I don't even know what these things are!! I guess I'll have to go look now and find out!!
  • alilarmour
    Options
    do hot yoga, i wasnt even trying to lose weight anymore and i dropped 1 or 2 lbs a class,I only went twice a week though but it helped me drop the last 5 lbs.

Im also gonna have to google hot yoga!! Never heard of it. I find it difficult to go to classes as my hubby works away so have to do my exercise when i have no kids, not working or have babysitters. Ive also a ball to organise so prob impossible next few weeks but could be a good long term option!
  • alilarmour
    Options
    Ok BMR is 1414 and TDEE is 2048. What does this mean?
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Not going to happen.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    Don't do anything drastic. But, cut way back on sodium to keep from retaining water weight. Maybe you won't technically lose 10lbs, but you might drop enough between diet/exercise and not retaining water to hit your goal.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

eat more.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Ok BMR is 1414 and TDEE is 2048. What does this mean?

In a nutshell that you will NOT lose 10 lbs in 4 weeks in any kind of healthy way eating 1000 calories and working out to eat 1200. Being less than 20lbs from goal you can 'reasonably' expect about 1/2 lb per week maybe a little more and ONLY IF you are eating enough.. If you had over 50lbs to lose then you 'might' get 10 in a month assuming you were 100% on your program. 2lbs per week is not for people who don't have a lot to lose. As you get closer to goal your numbers have to be BANG on you need to be comfortable with your TDEE and eating at about 10% deficit (healthy for >20lbs loss) - that's about 1843 for you, not 1000/1200.
  • alilarmour
    Options
    There's no way I can eat 1843 a day and lose weight. On my 'bad' weeks recently I've prob been eating that and staying the same or gaining slightly. MFP tells me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose 1.5lbs per week yet its more like 0.5 per week on average. Considering the majority of you say I'm not gonna do it I might as well just stick with what I'm doing and give it my best shot. Or maybe just switch back to weight watchers short term as it always gave me 1-1.5lbs per week.
  • waynetedwards
    waynetedwards Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've done it doing a strict paleo diet for 2 months I cut 32lb's and have plenty of pictures to prove the progress. First picture was at 212lbs last picture was at 180lbs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/om1kron/2012 Fitness/the-path.png

I worked out 5-6 days a week doing crossfit and maybe a few runs here and there during the last 2 weeks during weigh ins.

I didn't take initial measurements and that's probably my only regret to show how many inches I lost but my underwear pretty much became baggy (boxer briefs) And it's all mental. I ate all of the time, eggs and bacon here, salad with tuna there, no protein shakes, no artificial or processed foods, no dairy, bread, grains.

When I say strict paleo diet, I mean I divebombed right into it. It was mentally the toughest thing I had to do, cut coffee for the first month since it's hard for me to drink it black and eased into giving up sweets by drinking a gallon to 2 gallons of water a day initially with lemonade or iced tea natural flavor crystal light and then switching to water 3 weeks in.

I've since put on about 12-15lbs 7 of that being muscle and 1.5 lb being fat the rest just fluctuating water weight. Both times measured in a dunk tank. I went from being 29% body fat to 20% body fat and had I kept up the diet who knows how much more I would've lost.

This is me at 20% bodyfat as well 13lbs heavier http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws.com/8ee5a062fc8511e18d7e22000a1cbb3c_7.jpg

I plan on doing another cut, but to better plan out my food so I don't lose so much muscle mass the 2nd time around.

Good luck, and google is your friend if you have any questions about recipe's what you should be eating and how frequent. The biggest mistake anyone makes with paleo is "well it's paleo so it's healthy and it says eat when hungry." That's how you got fat in the first place. So stuffing down spoons of almond butter is a no no. Calories in/out is still important and staying close to your BMR is also important.

If you follow zone and want to take it to the next level just re-place a lot of the bad stuff with paleo foods but blocked out in zone to fit your macro's and you'll shed weight like no other. But it all starts with discipline and not a lot of people have the mental willpower to reach their goals.

Do you?