Ladies, tell me about your tummies

Options

Replies

• drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've got abs sorta happening in the upper part of my abdomen, I've gone down a band size in my bra but that little muffin top under my belly button isn't budging. I've lost 50 pounds offa everywhere else. Grrrrrrr.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i think it also has to do with shape.

Even when i was a skinny thing weighing 42kg in high school, i had a tummy. i have an apple shape and thats the first place i put on weight.

i've seen larger pear shaped women with flat tummy's who are 3 or 4 sizes bigger than me!
  • ggof
    ggof Posts: 41
    Options
    no way will i talk about my tummy .. LOL .. so u can figure out the answer .. lost my butt not my tumm ..
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My tummy is the 2nd place I lose weight (after my boobs:mad: ) so I have a flat a flat stomach even when I'm a size 12. However, my hips and thighs are fat no matter what size/weight I am. Everyone carries weight in their own way. I hope to one day get down to a weight where I have "normal" looking thighs.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you ate within 24 hrs prior to taking a look at your belly, you would have a bulging stomach, no matter how thin you are. The models with flat bellies in the pics fast for a day or two before the shots. If you had at least one child, the bulge after eating will likely be more pronounced. Reducing bloating substances in your diet will help (grains, dairy, cabbages, fruit, legumes; see GAPS diet for recommendations)

That's said, everyone will have an individual weight/size when the stomach starts flattening out. I can tell my weight by the size of my stomach unless I am bloated.

There is a fine line as well between flat stomach and skin flap. I got to 113 lbs for like 2 days, and my stomach got flat, almost concave, and here it was, skin flap. Never seen it before.
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, my stomach is the only thing I am trying to lose and it is very resistant:) My goal has been to lose 4 inches which would be a size to size in a half as I am between sizes. I know for example most US designers (from reading their size guides) the hips being 10 inches bigger than the waist. So you maybe a smaller sized pant by hips but have a waist out of their proportions. I would be a 12 in pants but need a 16 for my son's former home.

I wish I had the answer, I am still looking for it. All i know is I eat a whole food diet (mostly from wholefoods), drink 10-12 glasses of water a day, exercise 6 days a week but still have the majority of the belly I had a month after giving birth. It has a lot of muscle there now from all the ab work I do, but it is still larger than I would like as I feel being short and on me is what makes me look fatish.
  • NattyLeilani
    Options
    Looking back at pictures of myself when I was a size 12, I was pretty squishy. My tummy was flatter than it is now (at a US 16), but it was still very squishy. Tummy fat is the toughest kind of fat to lose. You may want to look into the Abs Diet (it's not an actual diet, but it's about changing your diet so you can have the flat tummy you want). I have the Abs Diet for Women book and it's really awesome!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It's body fat (skinny fat) I still had a belly at size 6 US (5'6 @ 130lbs).
    If you want to lose it then you need to reduce body fat. The closer to goal weight you are the more you need to work out / lift weights IF you are concerned about showing off your belly. Personally it's not a goal of mine so I don't care if I'm a little squishy without my clothes.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Definitely has more to do with what you eat. I am a US 2/4 but still get a lil' pooch if I drink a lot and eat l like crap.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    i am a size 6 dress size -size 4 in jeans - and i do have a little tummy. i wear tummy control undergarments (thankfully victorias secret makes some sexy ones) when i'm wearing a really tight dress. i've been doing 200 crunches a day to combat this "motherhood pudge". so hopefully it will be making it's exit soon.

Doing 200 crunches a day will not burn the fat just in the stomach region. You can't spot reduce. You need to do exercises that burn fat- they'll burn fat in your entire body. Crunches will help build the ab muscles underneath the fat, but not just burn off the stomach fat.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Dress size has absolutely nothing to do with how flat your stomach is. It's not an accurate measure of your body in any way.

I'm a US size 4-6, between having a completely flat stomach and not a flat stomach at all, my pant/dress size didn't change at all. Always a 4-6.

It really would be a mistake to use clothing size as a measurement or even an idea of what your body will look like when you achieve a smaller size.

^This. I haven't change in size or weight since I started exercising, but my stomach is not as jiggly as it was.
  • debecca
    debecca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 6-8 (US size 2-4?) and my friend describe me as skinny, but I HATE HATE HATE my tummy.

It's huge and out of proportion with the rest of my body. I have tiny legs, and a tiny bum (and huge knockers ha ha) but my tummy just looks WRONG. I can wear stuff to hide it, but I don't want to have to.

I have looked into a tummy tuck but the pain scares me (I already had a breast reduction).

I had two kids who were nearly 9lb, so I guess it's just that but it sucks.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    the squishy bit below your bellybutton is there to protect your ovaries
    Do you think if I tell my fat that I'm not planning on using those ovaries any more that it will bugger off? :laugh:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Even when I was a UK 10/12 and had a BMI of 22, I still didn't have a flat tummy. I guess that's the way I am!

10 years and 2 kids later and my belly is definitely bigger than then, but I can do up some size 12 trousers now. I guess if i keep working out and eating well it'll shrink, but I honestly don't think I'll ever have a flat stomach.

By the way, a UK 12 is a US 8, not 10.
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! It's reasuring to know I am not alone at least :smile:
    generally speaking, the stomach is the hardest place for women to lose fat, as the squishy bit below your bellybutton is there to protect your ovaries - i have been maintaining for a while but i still have that little bit of fat that wont budge!

do u do strength training? if not start, it'll help with reducing bodyfat.

^ this , no matter how hard I try this stomach fat will not go!

I had started doing doing NROL4W but I've injured my knee recently so I've had to adapt to only upper body exercises (lat pull downs, shoulder press, bicep curls etc) and abs work for a while. My body fat % did seem to decrease more quickly when I was doing it though. I can't wait to get back to it. I am thinking once I get safely into a healthy BMI I will eat at maintenance and go for it even harder with the strength training.
    You may want to look into the Abs Diet (it's not an actual diet, but it's about changing your diet so you can have the flat tummy you want). I have the Abs Diet for Women book and it's really awesome!
    Thanks :smile: I will check that out. What sort of foods do people think make a positive and negative difference?
    If you want to lose it then you need to reduce body fat. The closer to goal weight you are the more you need to work out / lift weights IF you are concerned about showing off your belly. Personally it's not a goal of mine so I don't care if I'm a little squishy without my clothes.
    I think I would just feel more confident if it wasn't so obviously there. Somehow, even when I know I've come a long way still seeing that big roll of fat there makes me feel big and fat still! Silly I know :embarassed:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My stomach was soft and squishy at 135 pounds and, if not quite flat, then at least firm at 123 pounds. Those last 12 pounds came almost entirely from that region of my anatomy, and pretty much had to. My other major fat deposits had already been whittled away.

And on sizes, I'll be 60 on my next birthday and weigh roughly the same as I did when I was in my 20s. Back then I was a size 10, now I'm a 4, or even a 2 in some things. And I've lost some muscle since then so my body isn't as compact as it was. A US size 10 isn't so small anymore.
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight from my stomach area than any other place. I am a mom to 4 kids so Most of my weight was in my stomach area.. I was able to lose that tummy weight in just a few months!!!
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Ooops sorry, I must have read the chart wrong. There was me trying to be helpful and inclusive of the MFPers overseas :laugh:
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have lost 18ls+ have lost a dress size all over and almost 2 dress sizes on my top half, however I haven't lost an inch off my tummy yet.
    Hoping with another 18lbs I might lost a few inches!

(I started at a UK 16, I'm now a UK 12/14) and aim to be a 10/12
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Ooops sorry, I must have read the chart wrong. There was me trying to be helpful and inclusive of the MFPers overseas :laugh:

lol I'm English, but I was a UK12 in trousers when I went to the US in 2003, and I now fit into my size 8 Abercrombie & Fitch trousers I bought then. So nice to wear something with 8 in the label :smile: