Planet Fitness

Options
I am looking into gyms close to me so that I can start faithfully going 3-4 times a week. I am on a budget and wanting to go somewhere affordable and most gyms are HIGH!! So Planet Fitness I was told about and looked them up this morning and they seem pretty cheap and within my budget...Does anyone else attend this gym? Please advise on your thoughts.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    This is a good gym if you are looking to do elliptical/exercise bike/hamster wheel/treadmill

for weight lifting, no.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This is a good gym if you are looking to do elliptical/exercise bike/hamster wheel/treadmill

for weight lifting, no.

^^^
  • ChinkyButt
    ChinkyButt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do think PF has the best deal out there. It’s only ten bucks a month and I think $40 to enroll on that plan.

I have a Planet Fitness Black Card so that I can go to all their locations. Only twenty bucks a month. I think it’s worth it. There are no classes or anything, but I usually do my awkward aerobics at home anyway so it works for me. Plenty of machines, all well-kept! It’s clean. The staff is cool. I’ve been to several locations in my area and I like them all.

Go for it mamas!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    fwiw, my Gold's gym has many clasess of many types, free weights and machine weights, and is $10 month too. =)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I use planet fitness for this reason, and that my "black card membership" includes unlimited tanning which alone is more that 20 bucks a month EVERYWHERE else in the world.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness because it's the closest gym to me and it's affordable. It doesn't have aerobic classes as some other gyms do. I normally use the weights and the elliptical or treadmill.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of PF now that my "fitness needs" are more diverse. But for $10 a month, I lost more than 40lbs just using the elliptical at PF, taking a kickboxing class, and most importantly, EATING WELL. For people looking to just lose weight on a budget, it's perfect.
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For the price it is hard to beat. It depends on what you are looking for in a gym. If is is cardio machines. Then this is the place. There is enough weight lifting to keep the average person happy. If you are going to need classes, there aren't any available. I find it filled with average folks not the gym rat type. BTW I find their machinery is kept in great shape I have been in 5 of my local ones and 4 were very clean with really nice equipment
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness. I have unlimited access to strength straining and cardio machines plus free weights. There is a trainer on staff if I have questions. It's all I need for $10 a month . I don't need to "bring unlimited friends" or use tanning beds or any of that other stuff. They don't have a pool, but I can't swim anyway. They don't offer classes, but I wouldn't take them if they did. If the machines are all you need, $10 is cheap (plus a $35 annual fee)!

edited to say: ALSO, there is no contract, you can quit whenever you like. If something happens and you can't go for several months you are not obligated to pay for it anyway like so many other places. Just tell them in person that you quit. You can always restart later.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love planet fitness. Unless you're some freak of nature they have plenty of free weights to meet needs. With the black card I have access to tanning, red light therapy, massage bed and chair, and they have a pt on staff. The personal trainer doesn't do one on one's but run small classes for people unsure where/how to start.

I'm only familiar with the PF I go to, so maybe other clubs are different.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I use planet fitness for this reason, and that my "black card membership" includes unlimited tanning which alone is more that 20 bucks a month EVERYWHERE else in the world.

Same here. I like Planet Fitness but it all depends on what you want to get out of it. You'll find some people either love it or hate it. Try it out-see if you like it when you're actually there (most PF-at least around me) will give you a 7 day pass to try it out. That way you know if it'll work for you or not
  • tinablair220
    Options
    I go to planet fitness and have for a few years,. I quit doing what I was supose to and gained alot of weight back, I decided to get my life back on track, started going to pf and working the fitnesspal thing because both have bought me great success. If you know anyone with a black card membership to pf you may be able to go with them and try it for a day.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I would be using the gym right now for cardio..WOW thanks for all the replies..I really appreciate them ALL :)
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    I go to planet fitness and have for a few years,. I quit doing what I was supose to and gained alot of weight back, I decided to get my life back on track, started going to pf and working the fitnesspal thing because both have bought me great success. If you know anyone with a black card membership to pf you may be able to go with them and try it for a day.

WITH THE BLACK CARD, CAN'T YOU TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU FREE EACH TIME YOU GO?
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i go to Planet fitness for cardio only and mostly in the winter or during bad weather... " i LOVE the outdoors...running, walking and cycling" however living in NH... that is a very small window... so the $10 a mth is great because I dont feel bad not going for the few monthg I am outside.... that said.... I think it is a great place for those trying to get in shape on a budget or aren't looking for classes or to become a body builder "i pick things up, put them down" - the weights and machines are good enough for those of us trying to get in shape or stay active...

i do however take a cardio kickboxing class elsewhere 4 times a week.... :)
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you get what you pay for... i understand money is an issue but i stay far away from the bargin gyms... no heavy weights, no pool, no classes and no babysitting...

the ymca meets all those needs for me plus i can go to any Y in the world for the same price
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    cardio is what i am looking for so i think i will go check them out. i have enjoyed taking walks outdoors but it is going to get cold soon so i want to be able to still walk and add some elliptical and cycling also..i think i will try them out :)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

WITH THE BLACK CARD, CAN'T YOU TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU FREE EACH TIME YOU GO?

It depends on each gym-at least the 5 PF I've been to around me. Some of them limit how many times you can bring someone with you, others don't care as long as you're a member and your guest signs in on their list.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    cardio is what i am looking for so i think i will go check them out. i have enjoyed taking walks outdoors but it is going to get cold soon so i want to be able to still walk and had some elliptical and cycling also..i think i will try them out :)

you have to add some weights in with your cardio... if not your skin may not bounce back and you will increase your odds of needing to have the extra skin removed...
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I think this gym is just fine. I have a membership and see nothing wrong with it.