Crossfit & Paleo

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I just started doing crossfit 2 weeks ago & LOVE it. I don't understand why there are so many nay-sayers that just seem to keep bashing it. You've stated your opinion, so just move on.

Because new people keep asking. We bash it because it gets people hurt among other things. If I stop one person from sustaining an injury in 5 years of bashing, it will have been worth it.

Think about this, while not everyone is in to either, and some people's opinions vary on which is better, no one ever straight up bashes normal weight lifting or bodyweight strength training. People mostly don't bash normal cardio. People don't bash normal eating at a calorie deficit. All of these things will produce as good or better results than Crossfit.

i have heard plenty of people bash cardio for many different reasons such as that it burns muscle and is bad for joints.

there are many bad crossfit boxes out there, with trainers that barely deserve the name.

but there are many good crossfit gyms out there with people that know what they're doing, and prefer that you scale down a work out and get the form right, before trying to do big weights.

and if paleo is what someone needs to help them control their food intake and eat right, who are we to judge.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    WTH @ crossfit is dangerous?
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are Crossfit is dangerous and Paleo is extreme and unnecessary. Lift weights as heavy as you can and eat a diet high enough in protein and fat at a calorie level that causes 1-2lbs per week weight loss.

Crossfit is dangerous, but lifting weights as heavy as you can is not... Got it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

High rep sets of olympic style lifts (bad enough) for time (worse) in a group setting (terrible) comes to mind. I'll quote from one of the links I already posted:

The fundamental idea in Crossfit is quite good and proper:
    A high intensity interval set-up can be very useful for fat loss.

But you want to employ safe and effective exercises for this, NOT for example a Power Snatch doing 50-100+reps!

That’s just asking for personal injury. There’s a very good reason why the really skilled lifters –Olympic Weight Lifters– who’ve been doing this since forever and a day, NEVER exceed 6 reps on explosive lifts.

In these long sets, power is not developed –you basically train to become slow– and you’re likely to hurt the lower back, the shoulder and even the knee.
  • moto67e
    moto67e Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think of Crossfit as a sport, not a exercise plan or a workout. And guess what, sometimes you get hurt playing sports. It's fun, it's hard, it's a community, and I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon. If I get injured, I will get it fixed and start again as soon as I can.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a paleo diet now as part of the Whole30 challenge and I love it, it is easy and feels sustainable. I actually spend less on food because of no frozen crap and expensive processed foods. After the Whole 30 (which I am doing to clear the synthetic and processed out and retrain my tastes to crave healthy and wholesome food) I intend to move to primal which includes a bit of dairy and follow the 80/20 rule so it is sustainable.

About part of this thread, I am seriously not sure why some people have such strong feelings against this way of living. Live and let live (and don't get so worked up, relax.)
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    My thoughts are Crossfit is dangerous and Paleo is extreme and unnecessary. Lift weights as heavy as you can and eat a diet high enough in protein and fat at a calorie level that causes 1-2lbs per week weight loss.

Crossfit is dangerous, but lifting weights as heavy as you can is not... Got it.

There is some amount of danger any just about anything that involves movement. The idea is to minimize it. Would it be safer to go down stairs by walking forward with your eyes open paying attention to what you are doing, or by hopping down backwards with your eyes closed?
    I think of Crossfit as a sport, not a exercise plan or a workout. And guess what, sometimes you get hurt playing sports. It's fun, it's hard, it's a community, and I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon. If I get injured, I will get it fixed and start again as soon as I can.

That's cool I guess? You do know that some injuries are not 100% recoverable right? That some people sustain injuries in sports that prevent them from ever returning to said sport? But anyway, the tag line is Forging Elite Fitness. Getting injured is counterproductive to forging any fitness.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Yea!!

I appreciate that there are a lot of articles and opinions on both ends of the spectrum regarding crossfit. I think with any form of exercise, people should be aware of the risks. Ultimately, it's up to them if they want to try it or pass after considering pros and cons. No biggie. :bigsmile:
  • MrDelts
    Options

High rep sets of olympic style lifts (bad enough) for time (worse) in a group setting (terrible) comes to mind. I'll quote from one of the links I already posted:

But you want to employ safe and effective exercises for this, NOT for example a Power Snatch doing 50-100+reps!

That’s just asking for personal injury. There’s a very good reason why the really skilled lifters –Olympic Weight Lifters– who’ve been doing this since forever and a day, NEVER exceed 6 reps on explosive lifts.

In these long sets, power is not developed –you basically train to become slow– and you’re likely to hurt the lower back, the shoulder and even the knee.

If we quit doing everything that was dangerous, then we basically would be doing nothing. Professional Football is more dangerous then crossfit.. I guess we should stop that. We should probably stop driving cars also since so many people are killed in them daily. I think you get the point.

You can't compare crossfit to olympic weight lifting. Yes, there are power lifting techniques employed, but there are also a ton of other exercises and technique involved that has nothing to do with power lifting.. Rowing, pull-ups, burpess, push-ups, muscle-ups, plyo jumps, jump roping, the list goes on and on and on. If you crossfit, you are not trying to be an olympic weight lifter.

There's no denying that there is some element of danger and possibility of injury. That goes for any type of working out.. And I don't know if you've seen the crossfit athletes these days.. They look amazing and are fitter then most people walking the planet. There are weight lifters out there who look like fat slobs and wouldn't be able to do half of crossfit workout.

By the way, crossfit is f*ckin fun.. Olympic weight lifting.. Not so much.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

(said the bowl of ice cream...)

Yes, CrossFit is dangerous. Football is dangerous. Cross country running is dangerous. Oil drilling is dangerous. Flying, eating, breathing, smoking, shooting, and walking outside your front door are all dangerous... Hell, "lift weights as heavy as you can" sounds more dangerous to me then CrossFit does...
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options

While I agree with the high rep stuff and the Olympic lift schemes can be dangerous due to a major breakdown in form and increasing the potential to snap our **** up - generalizing crossfit in a blanket statement as dangerous is a bit unfair. A large number of people within the crossfit community will agree these sentiments and as such, won't do this often. It's a balancing act and stupidity gets no one anywhere. Like every sport etc, you have your idiots and dudes posting to youtube which makes people hate ...... but you can find many other "non-crossfitters" doing dangerous stuff in the "glob-gym".

Most, if not all, of these guys aren't doing crossfit. Those guys doing bench could be killed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFmTP1ZIuZw
    But if they did crossfit, or worse yet, opened their own box, then that'd be dangerous (but again, isn't really crossfit's fault). But it would seem that crossFit would get the blame from its detractors.

Yes, you can find it with crossfit videos too ..... but it's always the idiots you'll find. The "1%"
    There is far more benefit and positive results (physically and mentally) coming out of crossfit than injuries. Injuries is simply par for the course of doing physical exercise. It will happen - just depends how.
    I pulled my calf muscle running - dangerous!!!
    I rolled my ankle walking - dangerous !!!
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    but there are also a ton of other exercises and technique involved that has nothing to do with power lifting.. Rowing, pull-ups, burpess, push-ups, muscle-ups, plyo jumps, jump roping, the list goes on and on and on

Those things are not unique to crossfit.

@PhilyPhreash - Yes, I eat ice cream. Your point?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm no fan of crossfit, but I don't think it's dangerous by nature.

FWIW, I do think certain aspects of it make it more dangers if done wrong than more "traditional" strength training/bodybuilding. That is to say, if both were being done improperly, I'd guess that you would see more injuries coming out of crossfit.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I love these discussions.

I've seen guys hurling weights in a "safe gym" that I know is causing long term spinal damage. But, he's big, has buge biceps, and so everyone just shakes their head and goes about their business. However, if you put a cross-fit label on the outside of that gym, now, it's something different and he's going to die.

I've heard people say the box jumps are dangerous. Huh? I built my own jump box at home, and I think it's rad. I jusp on samll walls outside that I think I can reach just to do it. My son and I have fun doing that. We also jump as high as we can to touch signs. Maybe that's just a guy thing I haven't grown out of. I don't see any danger in jumping. Yeah, maybe I'll skin my shins if I miss. So what? That's the risk of missing. I remember skateboarding in pools when I was a punk. Talk about dangerous. And, back then, if you used a helmet, you were a pu**y.

The most dangerous thing about Cross-fit, i think, is some of the lifts look really bad, if you are not absolutely using proper form. Bad form, too much weight, and timing the lifts, are the 3 contributors to the bad rap given to Cross-fit. I don't like the potentail harm that can come form their competitions, where people lift too heavy in too fast a time, and use bad form, and all that is a recipe for spinal injury, based on the kinds of lifts they are doing. But, other stuff, pull-ups, rope climbs, and all that other stuff is great.

I wish I had the cash to join because all that stuff is right up my alley. But, it's so expensive that it's a little ridiculous.
  • MrDelts
    Options
    but there are also a ton of other exercises and technique involved that has nothing to do with power lifting.. Rowing, pull-ups, burpess, push-ups, muscle-ups, plyo jumps, jump roping, the list goes on and on and on

What the hell does making the point of those exercises not being unique to crossfit have to do with anything??? I've never argued in a forum but this guys is driving me f*ckin nuts on a Monday..

Are you even in shape???
  • moto67e
    moto67e Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's cool I guess? You do know that some injuries are not 100% recoverable right? That some people sustain injuries in sports that prevent them from ever returning to said sport? But anyway, the tag line is Forging Elite Fitness. Getting injured is counterproductive to forging any fitness.

I know that there are some injuries that you can't recover from. I have a problem with my knee from playing hockey. But so what. My wife tore both of her acl's( 3 years apart) playing ice hockey and she still plays every week. The possibility of getting hurt is there, but so is the possibility of having a great time and I think that's what life is really about. I have fun doing it and it makes me feel great.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

What the hell does making the point of those exercises not being unique to crossfit have to do with anything??? I've never argued in a forum but this guys is driving me f*ckin nuts on a Monday..

Are you even in shape???

The point is pointing out the things that are not unique to it as the things that are not dangerous about it is not valid. It is the things that ARE unique to it that are most dangerous.

Yes, I would say I am in realatively good shape.

And just in case you didn't know, if you got mad on the internet, you lost.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Crossfit & Paleo are a beautiful match. Kippling pullups are the perfect analogy for what paleo does with science.

+2

Plus....nevermind the horrendous drain on your wallet between both of them.

If "paleo" is draining your wallet...

...you're doing it wrong.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Crossfit & Paleo are a beautiful match. Kippling pullups are the perfect analogy for what paleo does with science.

+2

He means paying the "box"
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

+2

He means paying the "box"

yet he said "between both of them"...