cutting more than 1000 calories a day

i was thinking of dropping 3 pounds in a week by extra exercise.

So my maintenance is 2400, and i exercise 2000 calories off a day, and eat 2800 calories, is this a good route to take? Has anyone ever tried this approach to quick weight loss before and how did it go?

i have no problem burning 2000 calories a day, i have the time and energy.

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Read Rapid Fat Loss by Lyle McDonald, two weeks of 800 calorie or so mostly protein based meals...less workouts, preserving muscle/lean mass...works for many and you will lose more than 3lb of fat per week...I have not tried this as it is a crash diet...but I am sure it is possible and feasible, etc...
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Read Rapid Fat Loss by Lyle McDonald, two weeks of 800 calorie or so mostly protein based meals...less workouts, preserving muscle/lean mass...works for many and you will lose more than 3lb of fat per week...I have not tried this as it is a crash diet...but I am sure it is possible and feasible, etc...

no im not going to eat 800 calories a day and sit around. thank you though.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Er I never said sit around...I guess your way would would just as well, but burning 2000 plus cals per day...pffffffft okay!
  • Read Rapid Fat Loss by Lyle McDonald, two weeks of 800 calorie or so mostly protein based meals...less workouts, preserving muscle/lean mass...works for many and you will lose more than 3lb of fat per week...I have not tried this as it is a crash diet...but I am sure it is possible and feasible, etc...

It'll get you the same results though!

In all honesty, it probably won't go well however you decide to do it. I would probably just go for the healthy amount. If you try to do too much, you are going to be losing more than fat.

You don't even have much to lose (28 pounds by your profile). Why are you trying to rush things?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    *If* you're truly burning off 2,000 calories a day, I doubt your plan will be sustainable for very long. You'll run yourself into the ground.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    (Too) rapid weight loss results in a high percentage of muscle loss. If you want to lose (mostly) fat .... you should try for a more modest number.

Very low calorie diets are really hard on your organs (heart, kidneys, etc)
  • nphect

It'll get you the same results though!

In all honesty, it probably won't go well however you decide to do it. I would probably just go for the healthy amount. If you try to do too much, you are going to be losing more than fat.

You don't even have much to lose (28 pounds by your profile). Why are you trying to rush things?

well its not something i have to do, it is something i am just capable of doing. i could just loose 2 pounds a week, but why not 3 for a few weeks. I do kind of have to get down to a lower weight by next month, but im not necessarily trying to loose that 28 pounds your talking about.
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    It's called Anorexia Athletica. Even though you're eating the calories, you're burning them off before you get the benefits of the nutrients.
  • nphect
    (Too) rapid weight loss results in a high percentage of muscle loss. If you want to lose (mostly) fat .... you should try for a more modest number.

ive heard its not a muscle loss if your deficit is all exercise calories.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    I have to agree with Fire. If you are actually burning 2000 calories more than you would just doing what you would otherwise do in a normal day, it won't be sustainable.

I would also point out that many of the MFP estimates on exercise are on the high side. For an Olympian, the high end of caloric burn in 20 calories a minute.

Check the article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/burn-6000-calories-olympics_n_1748989.html#slide=1338521
  • nphect
    ive burned 2000 calories a few days in row one time and it was hard but not real hard.
  • Losing weight that fast isn't good on your body, nor is it realistic and likely to stay off. Unless you're very overweight, the best approach is 1, maybe 2 pounds overweight.
  • nphect
    I have to agree with Fire. If you are actually burning 2000 calories more than you would just doing what you would otherwise do in a normal day, it won't be sustainable.

I would also point out that many of the MFP estimates on exercise are on the high side. For an Olympian, the high end of caloric burn in 20 calories a minute.

Check the article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/burn-6000-calories-olympics_n_1748989.html#slide=1338521

and a fat person burns the same amount. The only difference is the olympians continue to burn calories throughout the day because of their efficient bodies and the speed of their training.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    I smell a troll here. Been here since June 2011 and lost 0 pounds? Hmmmm....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

That is not correct.
  • nphect
    I smell a troll here. Been here since June 2011 and lost 0 pounds? Hmmmm....

i don't update that
  • nphect

That is not correct.

says who
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    this is what you need to read..
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html

And by the way,once i did manage to burn around 6000 calories in a week..(once in the morning and then again in the evening so it would be more effective!) but nah...lost the same amount i had been losing the previous weeks
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    how long have you been doing this for?

anyways, keep doing what you are doing now with your 2000 cal/day excercise.
    soon eventually you will give up, and then you can use lyle's crash diet.

However i suggest you to only lose 2lbs/week, and eat around 1700 per day.

You dont even look fat. wth
  • nphect
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html

And by the way,once i did manage to burn around 6000 calories in a week..(once in the morning and then again in the evening so it would be more effective!) but nah...lost the same amount i had been losing the previous weeks

"I’d note before moving on that some studies using fairly large amounts of activity (one that comes to mind had subjects cycle 2 hours/day 6 days/week) have shown a greater impact on weight and fat losses. But these amounts of activities are usually considered to be fairly unrealistic for most people."

it wasn't the same because of water flux
  • nphect
    how long have you been doing this for?

anyways, keep doing what you are doing now with your 2000 cal/day excercise.
    soon eventually you will give up, and then you can use lyle's crash diet.

However i suggest you to only lose 2lbs/week, and eat around 1700 per day.

You dont even look fat. wth

"eventually you will give up"
  • 3dogsrunning

That is not correct.

says who

You are right. I am wrong. You have "heard" the secret that every bodybuilder cutting for a show hasnt figured out yet. Long distances runners need not worry.
  • nphect

That is not correct.

says who

You are right. I am wrong. You have "heard" the secret that every bodybuilder cutting for a show hasnt figured out yet. Long distances runners need not worry.

im not a body builder or a long distance runner.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    what did you do in the past to burn 2000kcal a day? usually only pro athletes burn that much. mma/boxers/swimmers/
  • 3dogsrunning
    Yes, but if it were true, it would apply to everyone, so a bodybuilder trying to cut body fat for a show and maintain their muscle would use this principle and find it to be true. Same with a long distance runner.
    And burning 2000 calories a day in exercise, while it may not be running, would be comparable to a long distance runner.

Era - I don't want to debate, it is obvious how this thread will go. I shouldn't have posted in the first place. Just came back to clarify that point.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member

"I’d note before moving on that some studies using fairly large amounts of activity (one that comes to mind had subjects cycle 2 hours/day 6 days/week) have shown a greater impact on weight and fat losses. But these amounts of activities are usually considered to be fairly unrealistic for most people."

it wasn't the same because of water flux

yea i never said it couldnt be done..it is possible as lyle says but u got to work really really hard! good luck!
  • nphect
    Yes, but if it were true, it would apply to everyone, so a bodybuilder trying to cut body fat for a show and maintain their muscle would use this principle and find it to be true. Same with a long distance runner.
    And burning 2000 calories a day in exercise, while it may not be running, would be comparable to a long distance runner.

Era - I don't want to debate, it is obvious how this thread will go. I shouldn't have posted in the first place. Just came back to clarify that point.

body builders can't cut that much because they are at a low body fat percentage.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Losing 3lbs a week is doable if you have a lot to lose, you don't need to burn 2000 calories a day to do it, just have a lot of fat :P
  • 3dogsrunning
    I am not talking about HOW much you cut, I am talking about the basic idea that if your deficit comes from exercise, you don't lose muscle.

And I am a total sucker.
  • nphect
    what did you do in the past to burn 2000kcal a day? usually only pro athletes burn that much. mma/boxers/swimmers/

ran 6-9 miles in morning (800-1200 calories)

ran 4 miles, then walked 4 miles, or walked 8 miles (700-1000 calories roughly)