Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgH_ZoMOht8
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Putting time constraints on Olympic lifts in a competitive environment is a recipe for an injury. Many of the people who crossfit are competitive by nature and will sacrifice form to complete the lifts in the shortest amount of time. There are people that are smart and will not listen to a bad crossfit trainer, and then there are those that have the big Kool-Aid moustache and line up to drink more and suck with dealing with peer pressure.

This is the only problem I have found so far in researching crossfit, because I’ve wanted to give it a try. I love the functional movement aspect, but watching some of the videos of a group of people trying to get the best times doing various oly lifts made me cringe.

I’m also planning on going partial paleo…heck, I pretty much already am a meat & potatoes kind of guy, I’ll just have to switch to sweet potatoes instead of the white ones. Much of the logic behind paleo makes sense to me.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Can you get hurt. Sure. Have I got hurt. Yea. I had rotator cuff problems.. which I could have easily of had on so called "shoulder day" as I could have doing crossfit. I stopped with overhead movements until I healed. I avoid successive overhead movements in my programming.

Crossfit style kipping pullups put you are a very high risk of SLAP tears and other shoulder problems as your shoulders are not typically equipped to handle the load of that sort of pullup when you do that sort of pullup instead of the dead hang variety due to lack of strength/conditioning. Especially the potenital ballistic stretching that comes from one particular type that is pretty unique to Crossfit (butterflies).

If you can't do high rep deadhangs, doing high rep kipping pullups is idiotic.
  • butler879
    butler879 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yea, my shoulder was sore and I ignored the pain and kept working out. Not smart on my part.

I would agree that there is a increase degree of injury in CrossFit vs traditional weight lift at gym. When ever you do anything at a high intensity you are subject for injury. ALL sports are an example of this.

Not all trainers are great. Like anything else some people are just better than others. You still have to use your brain if you doing CrossFit. If you going into like a Lemming than you probably are going to get hurt.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think more people should stop trying to be safe and play so hard they get hurt for a change. When was the last time you played so hard that you fell and scraped your knee?

20 years?

that's not living.

Im going to scrape up my knees asap.

Good idea. Let's all go tear rotator cuffs. So we can live a little more. Right.

DUDE. GTFO.
    You've made your point, like 800 times.
    Jog on, troll.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I think more people should stop trying to be safe and play so hard they get hurt for a change. When was the last time you played so hard that you fell and scraped your knee?

20 years?

that's not living.

Good idea. Let's all go tear rotator cuffs. So we can live a little more. Right.

DUDE. GTFO.
    You've made your point, like 800 times.
    Jog on, troll.

Forgive me. I didn't know you owned the internet.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    @OP ignore the extremists on either side. Check out some boxes, remembering not all are created equal. If they are safe, emphasizing form over speed and you enjoy it and find it and the diet sustainable then go for it. It beats sitting on the couch eating chips.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yea, my shoulder was sore and I ignored the pain and kept working out. Not smart on my part.

I would agree that there is a increase degree of injury in CrossFit vs traditional weight lift at gym. When ever you do anything at a high intensity you are subject for injury. ALL sports are an example of this.

Not all trainers are great. Like anything else some people are just better than others. You still have to use your brain if you doing CrossFit. If you going into like a Lemming than you probably are going to get hurt.

Hence the issue with quality control for Crossfit trainers. People new to lifts may not know what is normal discomfort and what is abnormal discomfort. Doesn't make them a lemming or mean they are acting brainless. My expectation is that if i am paying a trainer, he/she is teaching and encouraging safe technique.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Why bother with something if it isn't dangerous?

How else do you think you get to be Batman?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/

Free to do in the comfort of your own home. The only equipment needed is a doorway pullup bar, about 1/10th the cost of monthly Crossfit fees.

I was hoping someone would post that!
  • wielandm
    wielandm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Your feedback is much appreciated! I thank you all for your input and I am grateful to have a forum where I can get more info about Crossfit & Paleo from other fitness enthusiasts. I hope everyone has a nice day!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of terrible trainers out there. It's not exclusive to xfit.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    this is why Crossfit has a bad rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOHZvWgCOs

Note the visibly pregnant woman nearly killing her baby with the bar she's dropping.... As well as many other people nearly breaking their necks.

Of course there are bad trainers in any gym, but it seems to me that Xfit seems to pull in all of them. And encourage unsafe practices.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Putting time constraints on Olympic lifts in a competitive environment is a recipe for an injury. Many of the people who crossfit are competitive by nature and will sacrifice form to complete the lifts in the shortest amount of time. There are people that are smart and will not listen to a bad crossfit trainer, and then there are those that have the big Kool-Aid moustache and line up to drink more and suck with dealing with peer pressure.

^This. Sorry but when people are in a competitive atmosphere and are performing fast paced olympic style lifts it is a recipe for injury. Performing exercises like squats, box jumps, cleans, or anytime lifting a weight over your head while going at a fast pace and performing it until failure or fatigue is extremely dangerous.

The bottom line with Crossfit is that YES it is a GREAT workout. People just need to be careful and make sure they are performing their workouts in a safe manner and keep their wits about them once the clock starts. Ligaments, tendons, bones, and muscles can be injured extremely easily when fatigue and improper form is involved.

Fatigue + (time constraints x competitiveness) = proper form goes out the window. Just be careful!
  • yoovie
    Options

20 years?

that's not living.

wow... that's...

Wait did I say something snarktastic at you so the public would laugh at you and belittle your argument?

No - I didnt actually. And saying that I meant tear off my rotator cuff, when I was simply conversing with you about playtime and how long its been since we've scraped our knees - was a **** move.

Wow.
  • yoovie
    Options
    but there are also a ton of other exercises and technique involved that has nothing to do with power lifting.. Rowing, pull-ups, burpess, push-ups, muscle-ups, plyo jumps, jump roping, the list goes on and on and on
    Those things are not unique to crossfit.

im all but a virgin when it comes to crossfit - like hysterically new - but im pretty sure that NOTHING is unique to crossfit... just staying.

Go find me another program with high rep sets of olympic lifts.

5-3-1 - when I do the deadlift day - thats 90 reps.
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Your feedback is much appreciated! I thank you all for your input and I am grateful to have a forum where I can get more info about Crossfit & Paleo from other fitness enthusiasts. I hope everyone has a nice day!

Also, all of this type of discussion can be found here too.
    http://www.board.crossfit.com/

But you'll probably find more sensible comments (both for an against) without it being 2000 posts per minute. Less people will have an agenda. Trolls have a 0 calorie quota. Most understand high rep and dangers. You'll find more actual experience rather than hearsay and agendas.
    The same tired kipping vs strict, paleo vs not, globo vs corssfit, idiots vs meatheads, box vs home, and not all trainers are created equal can be found but you'll find some good information.
    Good luck.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Crossfit & Paleo are a beautiful match. Kippling pullups are the perfect analogy for what paleo does with science.

+2

Plus....nevermind the horrendous drain on your wallet between both of them.

If "paleo" is draining your wallet...

...you're doing it wrong.

Clearly, eating only grass fed, free range, antibiotic free meat and non GMO organic produce, avoiding all other foods, is a pocketbook friendly way of eating.

And yes...the "Box", often with monthly dues that exceed the cost of a brand new car (assuming a 5 year loan). That's just silly. The reason those things are sprouting up everywhere is that putting the name Crossfit on a garage is pretty much akin to building a money printing press.

And they say the economy is doing bad, LOL.

Perhaps the economics differ in different parts of the country/world, but I have found grass-finished beef for average ~$3-4/pound and direct-from-the-farmer produce for prices similar to/better than the grocery store. Sure, it took a little bit of searching and it isn't as convenient as the grocery store, but it doesn't necessarily have to cost that much more.

As for the cost of CF, yeah...that stuff is crazy expensive (compared to a typical $10-20/month gym)...but not necessarily more expensive than some popular hobbies.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    good crossfit boxes will require you to take a 2-3 week basics class where they generally teach you the form for certain exercises that they use, such as dead lifts, squat variations, and burpees.

and it is expensive, but thats because it is classes. a good box usually limits just how many people can register for a class. the local crossfit gym by my house charges $150 for 8 classes a month, and a local boot camp studio charges about the same.

btw, this is in new york city, where my globo gym costs me $60 a month.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    but there are also a ton of other exercises and technique involved that has nothing to do with power lifting.. Rowing, pull-ups, burpess, push-ups, muscle-ups, plyo jumps, jump roping, the list goes on and on and on

im all but a virgin when it comes to crossfit - like hysterically new - but im pretty sure that NOTHING is unique to crossfit... just staying.

Deadlifts aren't an Olympic lift, but I agree if you strictly follow the common BBB template it is a lot if not too many deadlifts.
  • yoovie
    Options

Deadlifts aren't an Olympic lift, but I agree if you strictly follow the common BBB template it is a lot if not too many deadlifts.

opinions are so cute

coochie coooooooo