Jog 5 days a week?

Options
So I'm wanting to increase my jogging, but not to the point that I injure myself. I know a lot of it is going to be between me and my body, but I wanted some input from others as well.

Quick background: I'm 255 as of my last weigh in, 5'7" on the dot, and I don't have a lot of endurance yet. I started C25K a while back and am just now getting into Week 2 (took a month off recovering from shin splints due to poor shoes, and traveling for work). I also lift 3 days a week.

What I'm looking at doing is possibly using Tues, Thurs, and Sat as my progressive days (getting to the next week of C25K), and using Mon, Wed, and Fri to get additional jogging time in using the previous week of C25K.

Example:
This week on my progressive days I'd do C25K Week 2, and on my lifting days I'd do C25K Week 1.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it (yet). Running, like weight lifting, is one of the activities that your body does need to recover from especially when you're fairly new at it. There are a lot of adaptations going on that can't be rushed (unless you're into stress fractures etc).

I would suggest, at least for the first year or so - assuming you are consistently running 3 or 4 days per week - that you pretty much stick to running every 2nd day. After that start adding days of easy runs and gradually work your way up to 5 days per week. (My current marathon plan calls for 5 days per week - I've been sticking to 4 for the last few years)

One of the great things about running is that the journey can be as much fun as the destination.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are to take the rest days. Find something non-impact to cross train with. Recovery is important. You might get lucky and not get injured, but FWIW, it takes the bones and connective tissues longer to adapt to running than the cardio system.

FYI, I run 6 days most weeks, occasionally 7, but have been running for years. Even so, I take recovery days - they are slower, shorter 'jogs". Seen and lived first hand the problems with too much too soon.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the C25k, 3-4 days a week. Maybe do some body weight exercise on your off days, like some push-ups and such.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are to take the rest days. Find something non-impact to cross train with. Recovery is important. You might get lucky and not get injured, but FWIW, it takes the bones and connective tissues longer to adapt to running than the cardio system.

FYI, I run 6 days most weeks, occasionally 7, but have been running for years. Even so, I take recovery days - they are slower, shorter 'jogs". Seen and lived first hand the problems with too much too soon.

^^^ THIS!!

An injury could set your fitness goals back for several weeks.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You don't want an over-training injury and you'll most likely get one. They take quite some time to get over, and you start up well behind where you left off, and you *still* can't do what you were overtraining for in the first place.

Go nine weeks and get all the way up to 3 miles, do that for another three or four weeks, and then you'll have a better frame of reference for what your body can handle.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd finish out C25K completely then start working on speed. I rarely run more than 3 days a week because I started out too fast trying to get faster, better, stronger too quickly and ended up being laid up for over a month with IT band issues. Build your endurance and speed slowly then if everything is still good add on if you feel you can do more.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this question because it's really helped me out.

I've only been walking for exercise until the past 2 weeks where I've been able to up it to jogging a few times. My legs and feet really hurt during and after jogging which means I only do it every 2 or 3 days but I was feeling silly and guilty for not doing enough. I'd not realised I needed to give my body some recovery time.

Should I try for one day jogging, one day walking, one day jogging etc....?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you've already injured yourself from jogging, the last thing I would recommend you do is take fewer rest days

C25K ideally is three days a week. You just started the program, increasing your jogging isn't the right way to approach it.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have 2 friends that used to run almost daily. Both have suffered stress fractures. One in her leg and the other in her hip. The one who has hip issues has actually had to have surgery. I personally wouldn't go for daily running just based on those 2 examples.
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep up with jogging 3-4 times a week. If you want additional cardio workouts (as you said you are already lifting) I would recommend doing some biking, swimming, or elliptical. Since those cardio workouts are lower impact your body will still be getting some recovery time from the pounding of running. I still wouldn't add more than 1-2 additional cardio days - but you will have to see how your body feels!

I'm run fairly often but if I take a few weeks off I try to ease myself back into it by alternating runs with lower impact cardio so that I don't injure myself.

Good luck!
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    if you injured yourself doing c25k, then you should be doing less not more. i would recommend 3 days a week, and slow your paces from previous. you have to start out slow, but you will get there. and there , unharmed.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I used to run 6-7 days a week. It was great for a month or two -- very good for my weight and my mind -- until I blew out my knees and had to stop for about 1.5 months. Lesson learned. Don't ever think you don't need rest days no matter how good you're feeling.
  • nphect
    Options
    I used to run 6-7 days a week. It was great for a month or two -- very good for my weight and my mind -- until I blew out my knees and had to stop for about 1.5 months. Lesson learned. Don't ever think you don't need rest days no matter how good you're feeling.

if you ask me, i would blame running form. thats my 2 cents.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Take is slow to see how your knees, ankles and tendons respond. The last thing you want is shin splints or a bad knee/ankle.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    What all of the experienced runners said. Also, take it slow to start. Figure out why you had shin splints. It sounds like you are trying a different pair of shoes out, so shoes were likely the culprit, as they so often are. You are still new. You are still finding the right shoe make and model, and shoe insert that works for your strike. Shin and knee injuries sneak up and derail, especially as you add time and distance.

When I was running more often, I was taught that, unless you are following a specific training/rest program, 20 miles a week is a peak on the healthy length scale for a regular ol' body just looking to exercise.

It is so easy to want to be at the destination early on, but grow into this early on and you will be a runner for life.

Take your time. Enjoy your pace. You are already winning at this marathon. With each passing week you will be nothing but stronger.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options

if you ask me, i would blame running form. thats my 2 cents.

That wasn't the issue. I've had it looked at. I've always had knee issues that no one can figure out, though.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great responses everyone. I think I'll keep it to 3 days a week for now.

As for those asking about the injury; it was a pretty rough case of shin splints due to wearing shoes that didn't work with my gait. After complaining about the shin splints for a while a buddy recommended a running shop, and when I went in with my shoes at the time everyone just kind of shook their heads.

Lesson learned. Now I have amazing shoes, and no shin splints :D
  • nphect
    Options
    Thanks for the great responses everyone. I think I'll keep it to 3 days a week for now.

As for those asking about the injury; it was a pretty rough case of shin splints due to wearing shoes that didn't work with my gait. After complaining about the shin splints for a while a buddy recommended a running shop, and when I went in with my shoes at the time everyone just kind of shook their heads.

general rule is don't add more than 10% mileage every week. if your under 10-15 miles a week, just add a mile a week to be safe.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Do what works for you and what you can sustain. When I did c25k, I'd do the program 3 days a week, followed by 30mins on the elliptical, and 45-50mins on the elliptical on my off days. Now that I'm a "runner" (still feels weird saying that), I'll run 3-5miles 3-4 days a week, and do the elliptical for 45mins on my off days, while lifting 3 times a week. For a while, I would run for 30-45 mins, elliptical for 15-30 mins, and then lift, basically every day which was completely unsustainable. Do whatever you feel you can without pushing yourself beyond your limits!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options

general rule is don't add more than 10% mileage every week. if your under 10-15 miles a week, just add a mile a week to be safe.

This is pretty acurate. I'm just starting back to running and I'm taking it slow. I've done everything from 5K to marathon in the past; resist the urge to pile on the miles too quickly.