Ladies, tell me about your tummies

Options

Replies

• marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i am a size 6 dress size -size 4 in jeans - and i do have a little tummy. i wear tummy control undergarments (thankfully victorias secret makes some sexy ones) when i'm wearing a really tight dress. i've been doing 200 crunches a day to combat this "motherhood pudge". so hopefully it will be making it's exit soon.

Doing 200 crunches a day will not burn the fat just in the stomach region. You can't spot reduce. You need to do exercises that burn fat- they'll burn fat in your entire body. Crunches will help build the ab muscles underneath the fat, but not just burn off the stomach fat.

i also do 60 mins cardio prior to the crunches, just felt that wasnt really relevant as i'm not doing it just to lose tummy fat but i can see where you're getting at :flowerforyou:
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Tummy is definitely my number one problem area. I went from a 13/14 to a 7/8 with the help of MFP and JM30DS :) and I'm starting to notice my belly shrinking. Strength training seems to be helping it a lot! So I would definitely suggest adding strength into your workout routine
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It is completely dependent of body type. Even at my highest weight, I wore a size 12 and had a relatively flat tummy.
  • samanthagray88
    Options
    I have always had muscular arms and legs, but my midsection is such an issue for me, I was a size 18 and am now an 8 and I feel that my stomach simply looks like a smaller version of itself, not tone of flat at all.
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, my sister is petite but she has a small belly (doesn't stick out like mine but it's not flat like a board) and she's always complaining about it.. I'm over here trying to get a flat belly so I can show off the muscles I have underneath D; I've heard that a flat stomach is made in the kitchen so that means I'm trying to lessen my sugar intake (but I always go over my daily goal because of fruit and my morning milk) and sodium. I've been doing my regime for a week now and it seems to be paying off so far... My stomach was always just this bulge of a food baby and now it seems to be [slowly] working its way down, or at least that's how it appears to me. Let's hope it goes all the way down!
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, my sister is petite but she has a small belly (doesn't stick out like mine but it's not flat like a board) and she's always complaining about it.. I'm over here trying to get a flat belly so I can show off the muscles I have underneath D; I've heard that a flat stomach is made in the kitchen so that means I'm trying to lessen my sugar intake (but I always go over my daily goal because of fruit and my morning milk) and sodium. I've been doing my regime for a week now and it seems to be paying off so far... My stomach was always just this bulge of a food baby and now it seems to be [slowly] working its way down, or at least that's how it appears to me. Let's hope it goes all the way down!
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a US size 2 and i still have a belly!
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I still wear childrens clothes(age 11-12) as the womens sizes are generally too big for me and I still have a tummy, a big one lol:( Everyone says I'm really skinny but my tummy tells me a different story lol
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    so many things may make it the way it is. My tummy is firm, but its large from having a baby (my goal is to get to 31 inches, now I am 35) I have alot of testosterone and not much progesterone so that maybe part of the deal. I know i have to wear a bigger size because my waist is out of proportion (it should be 31 based on my hips). I know for me I have a clean diet, I can't eat bread products so not much there, and drink only water or unsweetened tea. I also have a lactose thing so I don't eat all dairy products, just hard cheese. Its weird, it is the only place I feel I want to loose weight but not much has happened (lost 2-3 inches since I gained it from pregnancy over the past 10 years) I think I am learning that it will be easier to learn to accept it, than be frustrated I can't change it. (I also do lots of cardio, lift, dance, yoga ect ect). So maybe learning to find the beauty in it is the answer for some who don't have health issues and its about vanity.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It varies widely depending on the individual. When I got to about the 30-pounds-lost mark, I got rather distressed because I suddenly looked heavier. Why? Because I had dropped the weight from everywhere except the belly and suddenly it was huge by comparison. Then a lot of it all came off at once; now I seem to be losing more proportionately.

It is true though that even very thin women do have some belly fat under their clothes. It takes quite a low body fat percentage before you hit washboard abs territory and most people are happy enough with just a slightly-squishy abdomen since it's hidden by clothes anyway.
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think I am learning that it will be easier to learn to accept it, than be frustrated I can't change it. (I also do lots of cardio, lift, dance, yoga ect ect). So maybe learning to find the beauty in it is the answer for some who don't have health issues and its about vanity.
    That is probably very sound advice. The main reason I got into all this was to get healthier - be able to do more physical challenges and reduce my risk of things like diabetes and stroke but of course the vanity creeps in and having a flat stomach would be amazing. Perhaps when I reach a healthy weight and body fat % then I will be able to say "you are healthy now, you are not obese no matter what your tummy seems to say" :laugh:
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My tummy was looking so much better then I got sick, and now I have a Colostomy... so it's gross... maternity pants. they rock.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    ab work is isolated and reflects our nutritional intake. in other words when you see a six pack there is a process for obtaining that and it has to be adhered to religiously. i had the commitment to have a six pack only once in my life and only made it to a three pack...it is a hard road to travel.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yes, I have a bit of a belly still and I'm still 30 pounds away from the goal. I'm hoping to lose that little pooch under the belly button but that seems to be a hard place to lose it. I'm a size 16 so I'm not small either.

Of topic here but OP, is your profile picture Liriel from the Elaine Cunningham "Daughter of the Drow"? Love those books. :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 10 and have what can be best described as a gunt. I had it when I was size 8 too.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a strange question but bear with me :ohwell:

I used to be a size UK size 18 (US size 16) and much to my amazement (and thanks to MFP) I am now just about a size 12 (US size 10). I always used to imagine that I size 12 was pretty small and that being a size 10 would involve a flat stomach. But now, at size 12, I still have a sizeable belly and I'm not quite at a healthy BMI or Body Fat % yet. You can't see my big stomach so much when I'm wearing clothes though so I am wondering - are many of the skinny looking girls out there hiding a belly under those nice clothes?
    What dress size are you if you do have a completely flat stomach? I used to think I wouldn't go below a size 12 but I'm looking to revise my goals to fit in with being a healthy weight/body fat %.

It probably depends on your height. But for me when I first started my weight loss journey I thought I'd be happy if I got under a size 10 because I was there once, and the smallest I'd ever been as a young adult was size 8. So once I got to size 10 I decided size 8 would be it. I looked good in jeans, but not a bikini, and I got a lot of compliments about my weight loss. But then I found a workout that pushed me to shoot for the "golden ratio" so I kept going. I'm only 5'1" so I still had a tummy at size 6. It wasn't until I got to a size 4 that my tummy stopped looking fat.
  • GrammyPammy145
    GrammyPammy145 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    squishy bit!!! yea that about describes it! lol I try as hard as possible and it's gotten smaller but never ever flat. I will just be happy when it's flat when I am lying down!!! :-)
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    the squishy bit below your bellybutton is there to protect your ovaries
    Do you think if I tell my fat that I'm not planning on using those ovaries any more that it will bugger off? :laugh:

What about me? I have no ovaries so I should need the tummy?

My tummy is the worst part of me. When I sit on my bed and look in the mirror it doesn't look like I've lost weight.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I am between a 10-12 US size. I still have a pouch which has improved through diet and exercise. I was going to make a post on how to lose it... what exercise I should be doing. I have 20 pounds that I would like to lose for myself to be in a healthy BMI. MFP has me needed to lose 37 more pounds that would put me at 140 which for me would probably not look right. Since I have gut.. am I supposed to keep with the cardio and strength training? Should I be doing my abs exercises. I would like help with this too.
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    I have this problem too. At the moment I'm around a UK size 16 so obviously have a very large stomach, but even when I was a UK size 4-6 I still had a stomach! Obviously, it wasn't huge back then but I didn't have a really flat stomach and had to stay away from really tight clothing as I looked podgy.

Back then however, I lost weight through diet alone and didn't exercise at all. I'm hoping that by doing lots of cardio as well as strength training, I can achieve a flatter stomach. I would like to get down to a UK size 10 and hopefully have a flattish stomach at that size even though when I've been a size 10 before, my stomach has been a bit on the chubby side. Just hoping the exercise will help me lose the flabby stomach!