Soaking Almonds before eating?

Options
Hi,

I have a vauge memory of soaking Almonds before eating them raw to get rid of any bitterness....has anyone else heard of this or do this?

Thanks

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Huh, I've always found them to be a very sweet nut, never bitter. No soaking here!
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I never soak them. Wouldnt they good mushy? I like crunchy nuts. :D
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard soaking them can chemically change the almond and make the protein easier for your body to take in.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember where I heard it!

When I buy whole shelled Almonds, they have their brown skins on...you put them in a shallow dish, pour some milk over them and leave overnight I think.
    They don't go soft but they do change slightly and if they is any bitterness this goes too. I really liked them like this and if it makes the protein easier to digest then all the better!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I was in college one of my dance teachers introduced me to this. She called it sprouting them. I used to do that with almonds because they were all dry and not very tasty to me. So, I would soak them just enough that they plumped up with water, and it also made them nice for chewing. I would only soak a small amount at a time because it wouldn't taste good to over do it. I just don't eat almonds anymore because it appears I developed an allergy to tree nuts (still waiting for my appointment to allergy test and confirm, but they were causing me hives when I ate them or accidentally ate something with tree nuts or mango).

I soaked them in water overnight, not milk (I'd just stick with water).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a vauge memory of soaking Almonds before eating them raw to get rid of any bitterness....has anyone else heard of this or do this?

Thanks

Used to soak them to remove te skin.
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try this. These raw almonds I got don't taste as good as I remember.. hehe
  • yyleekop
    Options
    Yes! I do this! Since almonds (and all nuts) don't release its enzymes when they're raw, eating almonds without removing the inhibitor limits the nutrients your body can absorb and makes the almond difficult to digest. By soaking almonds, you provide the moisture that makes the almond shed its skin and release its enzymes. They're softer, sweeter, and way easier for your body to digest :) It's a popular practice among raw vegans.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I do not like the sound of mushy nuts.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks

I have read this about walnuts, but not about almonds. Almonds aren't very bitter like walnuts are.
  • mabelbabel1
    Options

They do not go mushy....they go even tastier!
  • mabelbabel1
    Options
    Yes! I do this! Since almonds (and all nuts) don't release its enzymes when they're raw, eating almonds without removing the inhibitor limits the nutrients your body can absorb and makes the almond difficult to digest. By soaking almonds, you provide the moisture that makes the almond shed its skin and release its enzymes. They're softer, sweeter, and way easier for your body to digest :) It's a popular practice among raw vegans.

Yaayyy!! I knew i'd heard of it! Thank you!
  • Trishaliz
    Options
    I love almonds, but a few have posted that they get better by soaking. Might try it! Why not, right?
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Tee hee. I really enjoyed readingyour post while looking at your profile pic. :) They go together perfectly!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I prefer to toast the "raw" ones. The flavor is extraordinary, and, I think it makes them more digestible IMO for me.

Soaking them first overnight is something I have done in the past when I made homemade almond milk. That's nice, too:) Soaking them makes the milk smoother.
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks

I actually started blanching Almonds and hear that the skin has a bitterness like grapes, therefore this is not wierd.