Honestly... how did you start to get in shape?

Options
I have noticed that I start a fitness routine, and then about 5 days in (ahem, when the weekend hits) I find myself not in the mood to keep going, or telling myself that I will take a rest day and then I just can't get back in to it.

How did you become an active person, one who likes to work out, or manages to work out every day. What is your motivation? I am trying to get myself to be a person who enjoys to work out and/or find something that I want to do every day. I would love to hear your stories.

Replies

• spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Why don't you try something different on the weekend. It doesn't have to be a "gym workout". How about going for a bush walk. Or a kick around with a ball. Set up a badminton/volley ball net and have hit in the back yard, or back yard cricket. Take the dog for a walk. I haven't set foot in a gym for about 8 years.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I look at my old photo's - that's motivation enough :smile:
    I go the gym and I do crossfit - it mixes it up for me and keeps it interesting.
    I set my alarm for 5.30am and am at the gym or Crossfit by 5.45. If I don't do this I never get there.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Right now for me, it's walking. I knew it was something I could do for free, do anywhere, not look stupid doing it ;), etc, plus we have a beautiful wooded area 1/2 a block from my house. I know my very active dog needs to be exercised daily so even when I may not want to go, I'll do it for her. I've actually just started the C25k program too as I'm feeling more fit, although only on the treadmill at home so I don't embarrass myself..lol.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    the beginning is the hardest part... once you get through that and stick with it for a few months you will see results and become addicted and want to know how to be better.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I started with 30 Day Shred. It was difficult. I had to really talk myself into doing it every time. I dreaded it. But I felt good after. I got through that, and I got a couple of other Jillian DVDs and alternated. I did well for awhile, with forcing myself to do them. Then I went on vacation and after I got back it was too easy to just not do it. So I stopped and wiped out all the progress I made. Fast forward a few months, I had to establish a new goal, one without a time limit (not like the vacation goal was). So I started back at it again and tried to be consistent. And one day I woke up and was laying in bed and I felt like I just couldn't wait to work out. I never ever thought I would ever say that.

So, my advice is to stick with it. Try some different things to find out what you like. Maybe that is just walking. Make yourself do it consistently, and one day you might wake up with a whole new attitude. I sometimes think about how much farther along I would be if I hadn't quit for several months, but really I'm just happy that I had that attitude change and I'm seeing progress now.
  • kczarnec
    kczarnec Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm finding it hard to get back into my regular exercise routine which meant going to the Y most days of the week. For some reason, all I feel I can handle are 30 min. workouts-not the full hour. We're never made to feel we can't leave the class early so this really works for me. Also, as much as I exercise, I never seem to get rid of that voice in my head that tries to convince myself I'd rather stay in bed. I usually turn it off by not listening to it. I acknowledge it's there but I know I'll feel better if I go and once there, do what I can do.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Walking. No need to jump in with both feet, just start simple. Every time I have lost weight, it started with walking, and when I gained, it was because I quit walking. I love aerobics (I know that's not what we call it anymore, but that's what it will always be to me), and I like lifting, but walking is the easiest thing for me to stick with. If you feel like it's not enough, you can add mileage or increase your speed, but all you really have to do is get moving. You can do it outside, inside, in place. It's how our ancestors stayed in shape. Just do it.
  • continentaldivide
    continentaldivide Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    start with walking, preferably with a friend. Or, to a destinaton such as a friend's house, the ATM, Starbucks, to run an errand. Then moveup to light arm weights following a basic plan that I got out of a magazine like Shape. Start with a small weight, like 2-3 pounds if that's right for you. Jump up in weight when you freel read and do your weights 2-3 times a week. I've also taken out various fitness DVD's from the library to find one that fits. Curves is also a very supportive environment if that's a fit for you. Take your measurements about once a month & record on MFP. Good luck!
  • ryansgilbert
    Options
    I started counting calories to lose weight before I started running. Then I read Born to Run, which convinced me that I wanted to run an ultramarathon.

At the time I decided that, I was an overweight smoker smoker who couldn't run a mile. My first "run" was at about 16 minutes a mile, and it sucked. However, turning into a runner, hard as it was, was the only thing that made weight loss stick for me, ever.

I think an external goal has a lot to do with it. I signed up for a race...couldn't skip workouts if I planned to finish THAT. On the same note, I started slacking a month ago. Signed up for an April race.

Stuff like races and other events can be a great motivator. Similarly, having workout buddies helps tremendously.

I'm a big believer in The Chain: http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret

Start small. I've done chains like:

Work out 20 minutes a day (walking, running, biking, lifting, anything!), run/walk 1 mile a day, run 30+ minutes a day, etc. Once the chain gets long enough...it's a huge motivation not to break it. Get a big wall calendar. Put it somewhere ANYONE at your house can see it. You get a red X when you meet the goal for the day. You don't when you don't. Tell EVERYONE that comes to your house you're doing it.

DailyMile rocks for this, too, if you can find a good fitness community in your area.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I walk everywhere. I don't have a gym membership or really schedule workouts. I probably do about two miles of walking everyday.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Take a dance class, take your kids (or someone else's, like I do) to the zoo or on a nature walk, get a hula hoop, give a five year old sidewalk chalk and ask them to make the craziest hopscotch you have ever seen and then play it! I don't think about exercise as a workout, I think of it as playing. If I'm not enjoying it I won't stick with it and if I don't move for a few days I'm in serious pain! Do something every single day that makes you smile, it's good for your heart health and mental health! :flowerforyou:
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I got tired of seeing that fat biotch in the mirror staring at me every time I walked by.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I start a fitness routine, and then about 5 days in (ahem, when the weekend hits) I find myself not in the mood to keep going, or telling myself that I will take a rest day and then I just can't get back in to it.

How did you become an active person, one who likes to work out, or manages to work out every day. What is your motivation? I am trying to get myself to be a person who enjoys to work out and/or find something that I want to do every day. I would love to hear your stories.

You make it fun, make it a game, challenge yourself, focus on the rewards.

Turn on the radio and dance there are so many dance videos, go to the park and walk enjoy nature.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to find some sort of exercise that you like. That is what I like about my gym. They have a huge variety of equipment and things to do. I definitely like using the weight machines. Every now and then I seem to want some variety, though, so I try the Concept 2 (rowing machine), the seated elliptical, just walking around the indoor track while listening to podcasts, or any one of a million other activities they have.

Also, it helps to have a gym buddy ( or workout buddy if you don't go to the gym). It is harder to blow it off if you know the other person is expecting to go.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I play. I've never stuck with exercising long term, but I'm excited about hiking, biking, kayaking, roller blading, playing catch, tennis, Kinect, batting cages, etc.

Do something you enjoy!
  • coffeebrown5
    coffeebrown5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Starting is the hard part you just have to get to the gym no matter what. Once you start seeing your body change ull be more motivated to keep going and also download some good music while you workout. Good luck and keep going your doing good. Keep logging on and getting great support from these guys.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog 4x a day on the days I do not work, for 20 minutes each time and I also go to the gym x5 days a week and do something different there each time. Sometimes I ride the bike, or do the elipitcal, or hills on the treadmill, as long as it has variety for 45 minutes. I do a pilates/yoga class x2 a week. I like it now, but that is beacuse I have been doing this for the past 5 years. It was hard in the beginning, but I figured I would just keep going and it would get better, and it did.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    On Christmas Eve last year, I decided that I HAD to get in shape. I decided to start walking, walk slow enough to enjoy it, and to do it every day. I got on my treadmill and like Forrest Gump, I haven't stopped. I'll reach 1,000 miles of walking, jogging and biking by this weekend and I'm down over 40lbs and 40 inches. Down to a size 8/10 from a 16/18. :)
    I think that the key here is to not work out so hard that you get burnt out or too sore to ever want to do it again. Start out slowly and just keep doing it. You can add speed, time and distance later. Or strength,, to whatever you decide to do. If you end up not liking what you're doing, try something else! Don't give up!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Some strategiesI use to keep exercising consistently

1. Schedule exercise so that it is non-negotiable

Schedule non-negotiable exercise.

- Join a boot camp and pre-pay for sessions and find a good instructor/trainer that will keep you accountable. My boot camp instructor calls you if you should be at a session and aren't.

- Line up an something active to do with a friend on those days that you think you might not go. Arrange to meet for a walk/run, gym class, boxing session. Schedule a time and stick to it. Pick a freind that is committed and who won't flake. A gym/exercise buddy will help keep you accountable

- Join a sports team so that you are motivated by the other people to turn up, not just letting down yourself. Make friends with your team mates so that it turns into a social experience and you are more likley to go.

- Line up a PT session.

Scheduling exercise where you have to be where you said you would is one of the best ways to get into a routine. If someone else is going to be p!#@$d off if you don't show up it's extra motivation to turn up.

2. Sign up for an event.

Nothing motivates you to get moving quite like signing up for an event whether it be a 5k, 10k, marathon, tough mudder. Giving yourself a deadline to achieve a goal is a great way to get motivated. Once you've done one event you can use it as motivation to decrease times and/or distances.

3. Find something that you LOVE to do.

Exeriment with different type of exercise until you find something you love. If you love it you are more likely to keep doing it. Use this as motivation to get better generally. Recreational activities maybe good to consider.

My exercise strategy is a combination of the three above. I LOVE playing football (Australian) so all of my exercise is geared at getting fit and improving for this. I schedule weights workouts with my friends/boyfriends. I pre-pay for bootcamp sessions and pilates. I schedule running sessions with friends. I am planning on signing up for a half marthon which should get my unfit *kitten* moving.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Find a goal to accomplish. Say I want to run such and such miles each month week etc.. Or bike , walking. Whatever you enjoy. Sign up for a race. If you need a reason more than getting fit/ losing weight that will help you out. Even setting a goal to run one mile in so many minutes etc. then up it after that. Just keep going and don't give up!

On the weekends, you don't need to do dilebreate excersize. You can go to the park and walk, shop all day etc. Be active in something you enjoy!